PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Gear for a 2nd level Mystic Ranger

Dusk Eclipse
2010-08-16, 02:31 PM
Ok I am bringing in a new character to a game cause my Werewolf died last session, I have decicded on making a Mystic Ranger which evetually will become a Suel Arcanamach.
Either way I have the rough build in mind already but as always I am having some troubles with my initial gear selection, that is where you playgrounders come in, what do you suggest that I spend my 900 GP on?

My first thoughts where a chainshirt (100 gp) a naginata *(10 gp) (refluffed as a Guan Dao) masterwork tool of tumbling (50 gp), masterwork tool of survival (tracking and costing 50 gp) and a wand of CLW with ten charges (150)

That leaves me with 540 GP to buy other stuff, so what do you suggest?

*Martial Weapon from oriental adventures 1d10 crit * 3 and reach, I came to an agreement with my DM that I could trade either melee martial weapons or range martial weapons while taking the Mystic Ranger variant.

Glimbur
2010-08-16, 02:40 PM
A Healing Belt is 750 but pretty sweet. Up to 6d8 healing per day, if you don't burst heal.

More generally, check MiC for sweet and cheap stuff. Weapon crystals and armor crystals are especially nice.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-08-16, 02:45 PM
Don't weapon/armor crystal need to be put on an at least+1 weapon/armor ?

Healing bel:t I have considered and it takes almost all of my GP for this level so instead of buying it, I put it in the loot wish list.

And I have to check the MIC again I remember something about the blessed bandages being useful.....

Keld Denar
2010-08-16, 02:59 PM
Blessed Bandages are pretty useful at low levels.

I'd suggest a MW weapon. The +1 to hit is really useful at low levels, and puts you in a good spot to upgrade it at a later point. Also, you can afix Least Crystals to MW weapons, opening up that option if you find one. Lesser Crystals require a +1 or higher weapon, and Greater require +3 weapons, but a MW weapon works with the Least ones.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-08-16, 03:05 PM
Ok so I bump my Guan Dao to MW quality... costing now 310 gp, 100 of my Chain shirt, 150 of my wand, 100 of my other mw tools, 4 blessed bandages (10 gp each), + 25 of a set of Dastana = 725 gp.

PId6
2010-08-16, 03:09 PM
Why Suel? Mystic Ranger already goes up to 5th level spells, and Sword of the Arcane Order gets all the arcane spells you'll want. Suel just makes you more MAD (need Cha) and slows your spell progression down for a while.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-08-16, 03:11 PM
a) I would like to try Suel Arcanamach

b)at first I asked for sword of the arcane order but it was vetoed by the GM on the grounds it was setting specific.

PId6
2010-08-16, 03:27 PM
There's an OA race that gets Trackless Step as a racial feature. If you take that race, you can qualify for Arcane Hierophant with Mystic Ranger and Suel Arcanamach. It would at least keep your ranger casting from going to waste, and you can advance Wild Shape if you go for Wild Shape Ranger as well.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-08-16, 03:29 PM
There's an OA race that gets Trackless Step as a racial feature. If you take that race, you can qualify for Arcane Hierophant with Mystic Ranger and Suel Arcanamach. It would at least keep your ranger casting from going to waste, and you can advance Wild Shape if you go for Wild Shape Ranger as well.

You are refering to some kinf of spirit folk right?.... I will check Arcane Hierophant, but I don't think I would be able to get the most out of the class (the combination of animal companion and familiar) as neither Mystic ranger has animal companion, nor I can get a familiar If I don't burn a feat.

PId6
2010-08-16, 03:34 PM
You are refering to some kinf of spirit folk right?.... I will check Arcane Hierophant, but I don't think I would be able to get the most out of the class (the combination of animal companion and familiar) as neither Mystic ranger has animal companion, nor I can get a familiar If I don't burn a feat.
The biggest reason for Arcane Hierophant is to double up on suel and ranger spells; even the wild shape isn't really needed. It's also better than Mystic Theurge since it gets 3/4 BAB rather than 1/2. You don't need a familiar to take advantage of it.

And yeah, it's some kind of Spirit Folk IIRC.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-08-16, 03:38 PM
The biggest reason for Arcane Hierophant is to double up on suel and ranger spells; even the wild shape isn't really needed. It's also better than Mystic Theurge since it gets 3/4 BAB rather than 1/2. You don't need a familiar to take advantage of it.

And yeah, it's some kind of Spirit Folk IIRC.

That changes things; I thought it was also a 1/2 BAB class... now that plus wildshape...hmm interesting.... might need to ask my DM but I am definetly considering taking arcane hierophant.... something like Spirit Folk Mystic Ranger 6/Suel Arcanamach 2(or 3)/ Arcane Hierophant XXX

true_shinken
2010-08-16, 06:47 PM
Man, I always wanted to try one of those. Keep me updates on how well it goes!
Try t.o get a dragonblooded race, so you can use Versatile Spellcaster later on.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-08-16, 07:08 PM
Remember my thread about draconic template, I am SO going to use A Dragonborn Draconic Sunschorch* Hobgoblin, triple draconic flavor F.T.W!

*Trades the +2 Dex for a +2 Wis, which leaves my stat modifer on +2 str +6 Con -2 Dex +2 Wis +2 Cha

UserClone
2010-08-16, 09:43 PM
Man, I always wanted to try one of those. Keep me updates on how well it goes!
Try t.o get a dragonblooded race, so you can use Versatile Spellcaster later on.

This confuses me. IIRC, the only prereq to that (incredibly useful) feat is spontaneous spellcasting ability. It doesn't specify a Type like dragon, dragonblood, heck it doesn't even specify arcane! :smallsmile: I think it's just the fact it's fro RotD that confuses people...but then maybe I'm mistaken and misremembered it. :smallconfused: