PDA

View Full Version : TGGWAT Round 5: Vinlauk Vs One-Shot Steve

nefele
2010-08-16, 02:46 PM
Vinlauk Vs One-Shot Steve

You are in your quarters, resting, when the Architect's disembodied voice, soft and androgynous, rings inside your heads.

Vinlauk, One-Shot Steve. You have been chosen to fight. Prepare yourselves.

Six seconds later, you are teleported to the Arena (http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0As43YDXYJ8pFdERnUE15a2RKancxSTRtVHJNaHJJV 2c&hl=en&authkey=COSky_sJ).

There's no wind. There's no high water. But the clouds are heavy above your heads and the sunlight barely passes through them. It's the calm before the storm. When it comes, a Jolly Roger will proudly unfurl from the mast.

This ship has seen a lot, and another storm won't impress her. Neither another death.

THE PROCEDURE

Part I (how to begin) :
Agree to play with an opponent OR ask the DM to match you up randomly.
Roll and find out in which Arena you'll play. Study the map.
You have a turn to prepare (one swift and one full-round action OR one swift, one move and one standard action). You don't know yet what your opponent looks like.
You are teleported to a random square of the Arena. (DM rolls secretly.) If you have a mount and you didn't mount it during the prep round, it's on an adjacent square. (If you did mount it, it's obviously between your legs.) If you have an animal companion, it's on an adjacent square. If you have a familiar, or any other sidekick, it's nowhere to be found.
Roll initiative. If both contestants are aware of each other, begin round 1. If a contestant is not aware of his or her opponent, a surprise round applies as normal.

Special : Martial Adepts must choose a default stance and maneuver selection. The stance is considered active and the maneuvers are considered readied even before the preparation round. They can change their selection in between fights (informing the DM), but they must do so BEFORE learning where and with whom they'll fight next. From that moment on, they need to spend actions (swift for a new stance, full-round for Adaptive Style) to change anything.

Part II (DM-supervised duels) :
The DM informs you whether there is Line of Sight.
The first time your opponent becomes aware of you, you must describe your appearance in reasonable detail, as it would seem to an observer with eyes and nothing else (no true seeing, no blindsight etc). If your opponent has any such abilities, it's the DM's job to provide the correct description in secret.
All your rolls will be made inside spoiler tags. Keep private the results that would not be perceived by your opponent (Hide/Move Silently, Spot/Listen, Sense Motive, Knowledge, Martial lore, saves etc). Make public the results that would (attack/damage, grapple/disarm/trip etc). For damage in particular, provide a break-down: how much is Power attack, how much is precision damage, how much is energy damage, whether it's slashing/piercing/bludgeoning, whether it's steel/cold iron/adamantine, etc.
Every time you post an action (assuming you are visible at the time), you must describe it in reasonable detail. If you charge or tumble, you must say so explicitly. Provide coordinates for your exact movement. If you don't know whether you are visible or not, put everything inside spoiler tags, and it's the DM's job to tell your opponent what he sees.
If you need your opponent to roll a save or opposing check, ask him to do so but don't give him the DC. It's the DM's job to tell him what happens if he fails.
Make the DM's job easier: Every time you roll, provide a break-down for all modifiers, including type. E.g., "I attack with -5 from Power Attack, +2 insight from Knowledge Devotion, +7 sacred from Law Devotion, +3 competence from Cunning Insight." Also, always include spoiler tags with your stat block, maneuvers left, and anything else you find appropriate.

Part III (honor system) :
If the DM's absent, you know what to do. Takes out the mystery, but admittedly it's faster...

Vinlauk :
Position: G-15. You stand on slippery deck, shadowy illumination.
LoS: You can see One-Shot Steve opposite of you, at BC-15. He is an unarmored halfling dual-wielding daggers, with a crossbow hanging from his belt.

One-Shot Steve:
Position: BC-15. You stand on slippery deck, shadowy illumination.
LoS: You can see Vinlauk opposite of you, at G-15. He is a goliath, unarmed and unarmored, carrying what appears to be a huge sack.

Roll initiative.

OOC: Since you got this map, I'd like to remind you a relevant TGGWAT houserule: Precision damage CAN be used Vs targets with concealment, provided it's 20% or less.

PId6
2010-08-16, 03:03 PM
The teleport finds Steve cutting his nails with two daggers. Suddenly finding where he is, he stops the idle posture and adopts a more combative one, even as he unwittingly starts whistling a spirited tune.

DM Only:
Daggers out.

[roll0]

Light undergrowth?
All:
Initiative = 36.

nefele
2010-08-16, 03:07 PM
PId6:
Uhg, sorry, typo. That's slippery deck.
EDIT: Hey, I corrected a typo with a typo! It's not "uhg", it's "ugh". We now return to our regular program. :smalltongue:

ARabidHobo
2010-08-16, 03:31 PM
Raw Roll

not going to win this.
[roll0]

Public

23 initiative

nefele
2010-08-16, 03:35 PM
Retcon needed. Please wait.
EDIT - Wow, this sounded more urgent than I meant. :)

nefele
2010-08-16, 03:38 PM
ARabidHobo:
Read the rules again. Your prep round happens BEFORE teleportation. If you opened the sack then, you have no rocks around you, they stayed behind. And since you lost initiative, it's not your turn yet. You haven't acted yet and you are flat-footed.

I'm assuming you have nothing else useful to do during your prep round, so I'm telling PId6 to proceed. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

PId6: proceed.

ARabidHobo
2010-08-16, 03:45 PM
DM
I apologize. Guess I'm a little excited to see how long I survive, and I assumed a move action would be acceptable. In that regard, I will edit out and place that action at the start of my turn, unless you protest.

nefele
2010-08-16, 03:48 PM
ARabidHobo:
Not at all. Sorry again, it sounded a lot more urgent than it was. It's just good to know the procedure. No big deal now, but if you had won initiative, for example, and if you were within range, it would be important. :)

PId6
2010-08-16, 08:06 PM
DM Only:
Knowledge Devotion with Collector of Stories and an Inspiration:

24 Base + 5 Collector of Stories + 8 Cunning Knowledge = +37
[roll0] vs DC 36

+5/+5

PId6
2010-08-16, 08:40 PM
Seeing his opponent, the halfling immediately drops his daggers onto the floor of the ship with a clatter, then swirls his arm around himself with a dramatic flourish, causing him to vanish into thin air. After no time at all, a torrent of bolts fire from where he had stood just a moment ago, each splitting into two in midair before reaching the goliath.

DM Only:
Free Action: Drop daggers.
Swift Action: Initiate Cloak of Deception.
Free Action: Draw crossbow.
Free Action: Activate Whirling Frenzy.
Free Action: Activate Boots of Speed.
Full-Round Action: Full attack Rapid Shot.

Distance: 240 ft away, so 3 range increments (-4 penalty).

Attack: +30 Base + 5 Knowledge Devotion + 1 Haste (Boots of Speed) + 2 Greater Invisibility (Cloak of Deception) - 2 Whirling Frenzy - 4 Range Increment = +32, and enemy is flat-footed.
Damage (all spending IP): 10 Base + 5 Knowledge Devotion + 6 Cunning Insight = 1d6 + 21.

Full BAB:
[roll0] [roll1] [roll2] [roll3]
[roll4] [roll5] [roll6] [roll7]

Haste:
[roll8] [roll9] [roll10] [roll11]
[roll12] [roll13] [roll14] [roll15]

Rapid Shot:
[roll16] [roll17] [roll18] [roll19]
[roll20] [roll21] [roll22] [roll23]

Whirling Frenzy:
[roll24] [roll25] [roll26] [roll27]
[roll28] [roll29] [roll30] [roll31]

BAB -5:
[roll32] [roll33] [roll34] [roll35]
[roll36] [roll37] [roll38] [roll39]

BAB -10
[roll40] [roll41] [roll42] [roll43]
[roll44] [roll45] [roll46] [roll47]
All:
Turn invisible, then launch a bunch of bolts into the air. If you can see invisibility, then -2 to each of these attacks. Damage is magical and piercing. The first time one bolt misses, every bolt after that gains a +4 bonus to attack.

Attack: 38, Damage: 27
Attack: 34, Damage: 25
Attack: 40, Damage: 27
Attack: 46, Damage: 27
Attack: 47, Damage: 23
Attack: 51, Damage: 22
Attack: 33 (Natural 1) - All attacks after this already include the +4 bonus for a miss, though previous attacks do not.
Attack: 56 (Natural 20), Damage: 26, Confirm: 50, Crit: 25
Attack: 38, Damage: 26
Attack: 51 (Natural 20), Damage: 27, Confirm: 38, Crit: 24
Attack: 36, Damage: 22
Attack: 31, Damage: 25

If you're still alive, please tell me which bolts hit. Turn is not necessarily over.

ARabidHobo
2010-08-16, 08:59 PM
Hit/Miss
Attack: 38, Damage: 27
miss
Attack: 34, Damage: 25
miss
Attack: 40, Damage: 27
ouch
Attack: 46, Damage: 27
oof
Attack: 47, Damage: 23
that was solid
Attack: 51, Damage: 22
ulp
Attack: 33 (Natural 1) - All attacks after this already include the +4 bonus for a miss, though previous attacks do not.
Attack: 56 (Natural 20), Damage: 26, Confirm: 50, Crit: 25
ooh! right in the face! confirm crit
Attack: 38, Damage: 26
miss
Attack: 51 (Natural 20), Damage: 27, Confirm: 38, Crit: 24
that almost hurt more! (no crit)
Attack: 36, Damage: 22
getting sloppy, thank goodness. last 2 miss.
Attack: 31, Damage: 25

damages that hit:
total:dead. simple rounding skills tell me that.
actual total is 177. That is one impressive move.

Weaving through bolts to the very end, the towering warrior falls to the deck without taking a step towards his foe.

PId6
2010-08-16, 09:14 PM
As soon as his foe falls, Steve reappears with crossbow in hand, blowing a bit of smoke from its triggering device. Stowing the bow, he takes his time picking up the daggers from the wooden deck, then makes his way to the side of the ship to look out onto the sea. The storm will be coming soon, he thinks, then smiles, knowing that he is ready for it.

All:
That's a pretty impressive AC. I have to say, I'm glad you didn't have a chance to retaliate, since those rocks you had out just screams Hulking Hurler. Ouch! :smalltongue:

nefele
2010-08-17, 08:21 AM
Match Finalized.
Victor: PId6