PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] How to increase Max Dex bonus?

Wonton
2010-08-16, 02:48 PM
A Mithral Chain Shirt has a +6 Max Dex bonus, while most Dex-based characters will hit 24 Dex by level 9-10. I know of the Nimbleness property, but paying +1 to increase the Max Dex bonus by 1 is stupid, you might as well have gotten a normal +1 instead. Are there any other ways?

Yorrin
2010-08-16, 02:49 PM
Bracers of Armor? That's what I do on characters that exceed their Dex bonus by enough.

Eldariel
2010-08-16, 03:22 PM
After Mithril Shirt, there's only Thistledown Leather/Padded Armor and Celestial Armor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#celestialArmor), which you should ultimately go for, especially with Nimbleness (once you exceed 30 Dex, you should consider Bracers of Armor instead, but again, Armors can have properties which tend to be very worthwhile, particularly if you have a Cleric casting Magic Vestment on your items).

Yorrin
2010-08-16, 03:27 PM
but again, Armors can have properties which tend to be very worthwhile, particularly if you have a Cleric casting Magic Vestment on your items).

According to A&E you can enchant Bracers of Armor with any armor properties you want. Just to open that option to you...

Lev
2010-08-16, 03:27 PM
A Mithral Chain Shirt has a +6 Max Dex bonus, while most Dex-based characters will hit 24 Dex by level 9-10. I know of the Nimbleness property, but paying +1 to increase the Max Dex bonus by 1 is stupid, you might as well have gotten a normal +1 instead. Are there any other ways?
Stupid if you don't include touch AC.

Yorrin
2010-08-16, 03:29 PM
Stupid if you don't include touch AC.

MIC Ghost Ward Property >_>

Eldariel
2010-08-16, 03:45 PM
According to A&E you can enchant Bracers of Armor with any armor properties you want. Just to open that option to you...

Yeah, but:
1) That's an A&EG specific rule. In games not incorporating A&EG, that's not game.
2) You'll miss out on actual AC since you can't cast Magic Vestment on Bracers of Armor. The limit on Bracers is +10 virtual, +8 actual enhancement I recall. That means getting any of the v. good abilities (Soulfire, Greater Fortifications, etc.) is going to put you over the limit and start to cut into your AC.

Draz74
2010-08-16, 04:34 PM
I know of the Nimbleness property, but paying +1 to increase the Max Dex bonus by 1 is stupid, you might as well have gotten a normal +1 instead.

Not if you already have a normal +5 enhancement on the armor. Nor if you're planning to get a Magic Vestment spell on the armor.

MIC Ghost Ward Property >_>

Yeah, but that costs another +1 ...

EDIT: Another option to boost Max Dex, if you're already using lighter-than-chain-shirt armor, is the Shadow Silk special material from Tome of Magic.

Marnath
2010-08-16, 04:49 PM
Yeah, but:
1) That's an A&EG specific rule. In games not incorporating A&EG, that's not game.
2) You'll miss out on actual AC since you can't cast Magic Vestment on Bracers of Armor. The limit on Bracers is +10 virtual, +8 actual enhancement I recall. That means getting any of the v. good abilities (Soulfire, Greater Fortifications, etc.) is going to put you over the limit and start to cut into your AC.

Virtual +13 for bracers, actually. And there's a whole thread about whether A&E guide is 3.5 compatible, so no need to bring it up here again.(fyi, it was never errataed to 3.5 so it should work fine.) Of course, at those levels AC is meaningless, miss chances are what you want anyway.

Andion Isurand
2010-08-16, 05:01 PM
You could try going for nightscale armor from Underdark.

1k gp // +2 AC // +10 max dex // 0 check penalty // 5% AF // 3 lbs

Then make it Githcraft (DMG2) or give it the caster armor modification(Dragon 358 pg 39) to remove the 5% AF using non magical means.... plus there are more armor mods in that article.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-08-16, 05:06 PM
Keep in mind "max dex bonus" is only to your armor class it doesn't apply to skills or attack rolls.

Glimbur
2010-08-16, 05:14 PM
Or just wear Gnome Twistcloth from Races of Stone. Max Dex -.

Curmudgeon
2010-08-16, 06:53 PM
Check out the Segmented armor template (Dragon # 358, pages 42-43) for +1 to MDB.

The Rabbler
2010-08-16, 09:14 PM
then, of course, there's the commoner's armor. get some clothes, enhance them to +8 armor, cast magic vestments, enhance with whatever abilities you like. 0 Max dex, 0 ASF, weighs 1lb, and it looks much less conspicuous than armor.

EDIT:
IIRC, you can't simply make this armor +5 because of the straight armor enchantment on them already, but I could be wrong.

Andion Isurand
2010-08-16, 10:01 PM
I may be wrong, but I think the drow-lich Dyrr wears robes of armor +9 that grant some other abilities. Not sure if they are strait up armor abilities though.

ericgrau
2010-08-17, 12:51 AM
Celestial Armor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#celestialArmor) has an armor bonus of +5 before magical enhancements and a max dex bonus to AC of 8. Also lets you fly 1/day.

Besides being trivial to break, as mentioned, nimbleness also applies to your touch AC.