PDA

View Full Version : So am I the only one that reads maps?

Goosefarble
2010-08-16, 04:39 PM
I've seen quite a lot of threads in the past day commenting on the Free City of Doom and the Empire of Tears like they're new additions to the comic. I knew about them months ago - there's a map that shows all of the places in the Western Continent in strip #698 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0698.html). There's also a Dictatoria, an Empire of Sweat and a "The Dark Republic". So now when they crop up in the comic we don't have to have a field day.

Not a massive problem, just felt I should point it out.

Cizak
2010-08-16, 05:03 PM
AS you said yourself, that amp was shown months ago. It's not like you reread it every day jst to be sure you'd know a country when it appears in the comic.

Goosefarble
2010-08-16, 05:05 PM
Yeah, good point. Though I do read it through quite often, but I guess most people don't.

Marnath
2010-08-16, 05:06 PM
This has been mentioned in the discussion thread for #742.

King of Nowhere
2010-08-16, 05:07 PM
One thing is a random name of a location on a map, a different thing is having the location becoming of some interest

JonestheSpy
2010-08-16, 05:48 PM
There has been a rather large amount of discussion of the geography of the region and its political implications on this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164283&page=3).

So I guess the answer would be "no".

SPoD
2010-08-16, 06:00 PM
I've seen quite a lot of threads in the past day commenting on the Free City of Doom and the Empire of Tears like they're new additions to the comic.

Really? Point out three.

Because I don't see them. I see people commenting that they are new additions to the PLOT, where before they were just throwaway joke references on a map.

mucat
2010-08-16, 09:38 PM
I've seen quite a lot of threads in the past day commenting on the Free City of Doom and the Empire of Tears like they're new additions to the comic. I knew about them months ago - there's a map that shows all of the places in the Western Continent in strip #698 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0698.html). There's also a Dictatoria, an Empire of Sweat and a "The Dark Republic". So now when they crop up in the comic we don't have to have a field day.

Not a massive problem, just felt I should point it out.
Every time someone reacts as if they just learned there's an Empire of Tears, someone else tells them, "It was on the map," usually within a couple of posts.

So no, you're far from the only one who reads maps.

Gift Jeraff
2010-08-17, 12:22 PM
Really? Point out three.
I found 3 instances of posters acting like the Empire of Tears is new within the first 80 posts (2 pages under my settings) of the discussion thread just by F3'ing "Tears".

So, SPoD has it wrong.

SPoD
2010-08-17, 01:53 PM
I found 3 instances of posters acting like the Empire of Tears is new within the first 80 posts (2 pages under my settings) of the discussion thread just by F3'ing "Tears".

So, SPoD has it wrong.

He said "quite a lot of THREADS", not "quite a lot of POSTERS". Three posters on the main discussion thread is not worth starting a new thread to comment on. Three threads, well, it still wouldn't be, but it would at least make more sense.

So, no, I don't have it wrong. I just answered based on what he actually wrote.

BadAndyMk3
2010-08-17, 02:20 PM
I had assumed that at some point Rich sat down and created the Western Continent using the same method as in The New World series of articles he wrote a while back, but just gave the places jokey evil sounding names.

I noticed the Free City of Doom is on the mouth of a river. Very desirable for a nation to have.

sihnfahl
2010-08-18, 09:31 AM
I noticed the Free City of Doom is on the mouth of a river. Very desirable for a nation to have.
Only if it's a strong nation that can resist assaults from other nations that desire the same real estate.

137beth
2010-08-18, 09:34 AM
They are still RELATIVITY recent additions to the comic, because that map is part of the current story-arc (i.e. what will become book 5).

ThePhantasm
2010-08-18, 09:50 PM
Are you the only one who reads maps?

No.

Are you the only one who memorizes them?

Possibly.

Goosefarble
2010-08-19, 10:21 AM
I like maps, what can I say. And, alright, I haven't seen as many threads so much as posts, my bad there too, but it's been a topic of discussion quite a lot, which is what I meant.

Nimrod's Son
2010-08-20, 12:47 AM
So am I the only one that reads maps?
Not at all; I found the A-Z of Bruges to be particularly edifying, for example.