PDA

View Full Version : Alabaster Cup experience?

Scarey Nerd
2010-08-16, 04:59 PM
To award experience for the events in the Alabaster Cup, treat each day's events as a single encounter with an EL equal to a normal encounter with the significant NPC contestants.

I understand the above, but how do I determine the EL of the encounter? And I assume that it's not just the NPC contestants that I include, but the other PC contestants as well?

The total number of contestants are 6 level 4's (The PCs), 5 level 3's and 5 level 2's. Obviously subtract a PC for determining exp, so 5 each of ECLs 2, 3 and 4.

Marnath
2010-08-16, 05:05 PM
If you've got answers worked out, then i don't know what the question is?

Scarey Nerd
2010-08-16, 05:07 PM
If you've got answers worked out, then i don't know what the question is?

My question is how do I work out what the EL of the encounter is with 5 level 2s, 5 level 3s and 5 level 4s, because I just don't understand encounter ELs.

Marnath
2010-08-16, 05:13 PM
Ohhh. I have no idea then. Maybe tally the xp for each level set and add them together? Not like all of those level people are fought together right?

Scarey Nerd
2010-08-16, 05:15 PM
Ohhh. I have no idea then. Maybe tally the xp for each level set and add them together? Not like all of those level people are fought together right?

True, I'll do that.

Though that makes my head hurt as well when I tally them up. 5 level 4s would be CR 9 I think?

Marnath
2010-08-16, 05:26 PM
If it comes down to it, just rule 0 it. If you really can't make heads or tails of it, just advance your PC's by 1/3 or 1/2 of a level and call it a day.

Urpriest
2010-08-16, 05:36 PM
First, RAW you shouldn't include the PCs. The XP is divided between them anyway, which presumes that they're acting as a team in some sense, even if they're competing. The group's goals only require that one of them win, right?

Just with the NPCs, it comes to: 5 level 2 NPCs is EL 6 or 7, 5 level 3 NPCs is EL 8, an EL 6 and EL 8 encounter is EL 9. So you're talking about your 4th level PCs fighting an EL 9 encounter each day.

Scarey Nerd
2010-08-16, 05:37 PM
First, RAW you shouldn't include the PCs. The XP is divided between them anyway, which presumes that they're acting as a team in some sense, even if they're competing. The group's goals only require that one of them win, right?

Just with the NPCs, it comes to: 5 level 2 NPCs is EL 6 or 7, 5 level 3 NPCs is EL 8, an EL 6 and EL 8 encounter is EL 9. So you're talking about your 4th level PCs fighting an EL 9 encounter each day.

Ah, thank you very much :smallsmile:

Marnath
2010-08-16, 05:37 PM
Except they aren't fighting all those people together, its 1 vs 1 right?

Scarey Nerd
2010-08-16, 05:38 PM
Except they aren't fighting all those people together, its 1 vs 1 right?

Only in certain events, it's fairly complicated.