PDA

View Full Version : Healing surges while unconscious? 4E

FullofQuestions
2010-08-16, 06:28 PM
Under the skill heal it says ......

First Aid: Standard action.
✦ DC: Varies depending on the task you’re attempting.
✦ Use Second Wind: Make a DC 10 Heal check to
allow an adjacent character to use his or her second
wind (page 291) without the character having to
spend an action. The character doesn’t gain the
defense bonuses normally granted by second wind.
✦ Stabilize the Dying: Make a DC 15 Heal check to
stabilize an adjacent dying character. If you succeed,
the character can stop making death saving throws
until he or she takes damage. The character’s current
hit point total doesn’t change as a result of being
stabilized.

My question is more about the 'Use Second Wind' because if my beliefs are true then I don't understand, in the following situation, why anyone would ever go for the DC 15....

If someone were to go below 0 hit points before using his healing surge.

Can an unconscious person not use a healing surge or would you just go for the DC 10 and grant them the ability to use their second wind bringing back to consciousness?

Sir_Elderberry
2010-08-16, 06:38 PM
The DC15 is for when you don't have a second wind, I always thought.

holywhippet
2010-08-16, 06:40 PM
For one thing, you can only use your second wind once per encounter which might mean you have to stabilise.

An unconcious person can use a healing surge - see page 295 of the PHB. I'd say you can use your second wind to recover from being unconcious but only if you've not used it yet.

mobdrazhar
2010-08-16, 07:24 PM
also if they are out of healing surges then second wind is useless as it requires a healing surge.

FullofQuestions
2010-08-16, 07:37 PM
Not the way I'm reading it. It says if a healing surge is required, and there are none to be spent, then you would revive with 1 hit point.

Healing the Dying PHB

tcrudisi
2010-08-16, 07:51 PM
also if they are out of healing surges then second wind is useless as it requires a healing surge.

Not the way I'm reading it. It says if a healing surge is required, and there are none to be spent, then you would revive with 1 hit point.

Healing the Dying PHB

FullofQuestions is both correct and incorrect. If you are out of healing surges but something allows you to spend one, you gain 1hp. Since healing is counted from 0, this means that they would be at 1hp.

However, Second Wind can only be used once per encounter, unless you have a power or ability that says otherwise. Per Second Wind: Once per Encounter: You can use your second wind once per encounter and can use it again after you take a short rest or an extended rest.

So, if a PC has already used their Second Wind and they go unconscious? Players cannot use the Heal skill to allow them to use a Second Wind they have already spent. They can only use the Heal Skill to stabilize them.

Also, OP, you asked if an unconscious person cannot spend a healing surge. In fact, they can, on their own. Under the "Death and Dying" section in the PHB1, when talking about death saving throws: "20 or higher: Spend a healing surge. When you do so, you are considered to have 0 hit points, and then your healing surge restores hit points as normal. You are no longer dying, and you are conscious but still prone. If you roll 20 or higher but have no healing surges, your condition doesn’t change.