PDA

View Full Version : Illumian X/Shadow Sentinel build ideas?

Zephyros
2010-08-16, 06:36 PM
Hallo playground. I am using Illumians in a campaign I am currently running in the Disciples setting (part homebrew and much inspiration playing again the aforementioned 3rd edition of the game :smallbiggrin: )

The players just met the master of the Shadow Sentinels (PrC from RoD) and it's obvious to me that it will be very convinient to stat him out before the next session.

Fluff:
The Illumians are the only "mutants" suffered by the Empire and the Inquisition due to their special abilities and talents. I've ruled that only they know how to build/activate/maintain the guardian nodes that allow the Empire to expand safely (shamelessly plugged from WH40k and the Navis Nobilite) However zealots will be zealots and the Illumians "the Sigil Bearers" take care of their own. Enter the Shadow Sentinels.

Any build ideas for an Illumian Shadow Sentinel?
1)How to enter? Fighter? ToB?
2)How to branch out? More ToB? Kensai seemed good in a sense. You already got your Umbral Blade up to +5 and can enchant it even further.

Thank you :smallwink:

Tokuhara
2010-08-16, 11:31 PM
1. ToB is your best bet. Warblade makes perfect sense, since you qualify far easier after 5 levels of Warblade. Focus on Diamond Mind, since you want to REALLY do some damage, and Diamond Mind can do that

2. Kensai is good if you want a super-advanced weapon. I actually think that perhaps any other PrC that is blade focused could do (with Adaptive Learning (Iaijutsu Focus, an Umbral Katana, and 5 levels of Iaijutsu Master, "Striking from the Shadows" could look seriously bad ass)

gorfnab
2010-08-17, 02:18 AM
Warblade 5/ Shadow Sentinel 10/ Bloodstorm Blade 5 - throwing your Umbral Blade could be quite fun

Kosjsjach
2010-08-17, 02:37 AM
Warblade is, of course, a great foundation to a Shadow Sentinel, in no small part thanks to how Morphic Blade (type), Weapon Aptitude, and Weapon Focus interact.

Unfortunately, the Illumian sigil combinations do pretty much nil to augment maneuvers or stances. It could be easily argued that it doesn't matter, but for the sake of variety here's a possible alternative: make a Str-focused Duskblade with Aeshkrau and key his bonus spells off Str.