PDA

View Full Version : What class is it?

Krüsher
2010-08-16, 07:25 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking to make a character who somehow mixes magic and technology and I'm wondering if such a class exists. To tell the truth I have not researched this at all an I'm just being lazy asking you guys. I just think it would be a really cool class and I doubt its existence myself. So if it does not, anyone know anything close to it? And I already know artificer I don't want that one... unless someone convinces me :smallbiggrin: so thanks for doing more work than me!

Cheesy74
2010-08-16, 07:44 PM
Off the top of my head, the Techsmith in Faiths and Pantheons (Forgotten Realms rulebook) is pretty close to that idea. It's a full-casting-progression prestige class for any follower of Gond (usually a cleric, but the only requirement is ability to cast Major Creation) and gives you some bonuses to technical skills as well as a robotic companion. It's not the best class, but it's close to what you're looking for.

The only problem is that its special requirement makes it off-limits unless you're actually playing an FR campaign. Talk to your DM if you want to make it accessible. It's not a powerful class, so most DMs wouldn't have a problem allowing it.

Krüsher
2010-08-16, 07:56 PM
Off the top of my head, the Techsmith in Faiths and Pantheons (Forgotten Realms rulebook) is pretty close to that idea. It's a full-casting-progression prestige class for any follower of Gond (usually a cleric, but the only requirement is ability to cast Major Creation) and gives you some bonuses to technical skills as well as a robotic companion. It's not the best class, but it's close to what you're looking for.

The only problem is that its special requirement makes it off-limits unless you're actually playing an FR campaign. Talk to your DM if you want to make it accessible. It's not a powerful class, so most DMs wouldn't have a problem allowing it.

alright thanks! I actually wanted someone to be in my fancomic like that. In fact I have never heard of forgotten realms. I am a noob to dungeons in dragons so its always nice to learn new things :smallbiggrin:

TooManyBadgers
2010-08-16, 08:09 PM
And I already know artificer I don't want that one... unless someone convinces me
all the cool kids are doing it.

Urpriest
2010-08-16, 08:14 PM
Artificer is like this if your technology is sufficiently Magitek. From Eberron. It's a class based on creating magic items.

Edit: hadn't seen that you explicitly called that one out in the OP. Never mind then.

arguskos
2010-08-16, 08:22 PM
Ok, so, I know you called out Artificer, but I cannot recommend it enough. See this guy?
http://marvelsuperstars.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/war-machine-iron-man.jpg
I'm playing THAT with an Artificer in a magitek world in 3.5 right now. If that's not awesome enough for you, I dunno what to say. :smallamused:

Jarrick
2010-08-16, 08:37 PM
Ok, so, I know you called out Artificer, but I cannot recommend it enough. See this guy?
(Snip)
I'm playing THAT with an Artificer in a magitek world in 3.5 right now. If that's not awesome enough for you, I dunno what to say. :smallamused:

Huh, and I thought my artificer's great crossbow that shot over a mile with no penalties at level 7 was good...

arguskos
2010-08-16, 08:40 PM
Huh, and I thought my artificer's great crossbow that shot over a mile with no penalties at level 7 was good...
I've got like 5 cost reducers, no magic gear, a DM who likes me, and lots of homebrew stuff in there. :smallcool:

It doesn't happen frequently, but when everything comes together, you get an amazing character like that one. :smallamused:

My current weapon load-out is:
-Machine Gun on the shoulder
-Missile Launcher on the other shoulder
-2 Automatic pistols built into the hands
-Shotgun in one arm
-Flamethrower in the other
-Sniper carried on my back, just in case.
-Working on building a Ripper from Unreal Tournament

Tokuhara
2010-08-16, 11:43 PM
I second Artificer and add my own demented suggestion: Renegade Mastermaker.

The build would look like this:

Race: Tinker Gnome (Dragonlance. They get a +2 to craft (alchemy) checks and +2 INT) or Human (if your DM is no fun)
Class: Artificer 5/Renegade Mastermaker 10/Spellcarved Soldier 5

This way, you are a Warforged (for all intents and purposes), have a nice bonus to UMD, and are better at resisting magic than almost everyone else. You officially would rock. Hello tankdom!

Edit: Or be a Tibbit (cat/halfling people from Dragon Compendium) and become a Transformer from Beast Wars!!!

Faleldir
2010-08-17, 12:03 AM
for all intensive purposes
You mean "for all intents and purposes".

TooManyBadgers
2010-08-17, 12:38 AM
You mean "for all intents and purposes".
I dunno, I think a RMM could handle most intense circumstances with about the same competence as a warforged.

Tokuhara
2010-08-17, 10:25 AM
I dunno, I think a RMM could handle most intense circumstances with about the same competence as a warforged.

You are "Treated as a Warforged," gain the living construct subtype, and are Essentially a Warforged Artificer/Spellcarved Soldier. Sure, no upper-level infusions, but still a bad mofo

Krüsher
2010-08-17, 11:13 AM
I second Artificer and add my own demented suggestion: Renegade Mastermaker.

The build would look like this:

Race: Tinker Gnome (Dragonlance. They get a +2 to craft (alchemy) checks and +2 INT) or Human (if your DM is no fun)
Class: Artificer 5/Renegade Mastermaker 10/Spellcarved Soldier 5

This way, you are a Warforged (for all intents and purposes), have a nice bonus to UMD, and are better at resisting magic than almost everyone else. You officially would rock. Hello tankdom!

Edit: Or be a Tibbit (cat/halfling people from Dragon Compendium) and become a Transformer from Beast Wars!!!

just to say, we usually start our campaigns at level 3 or so. So I'm looking for something that would be strong through the levels and not just once it has all the pieces put together. I should probably mention we only get to about level 9 before we decide to do a different campaign. :smalltongue:

Urpriest
2010-08-17, 12:50 PM
just to say, we usually start our campaigns at level 3 or so. So I'm looking for something that would be strong through the levels and not just once it has all the pieces put together. I should probably mention we only get to about level 9 before we decide to do a different campaign. :smalltongue:

Artificers are pretty cool at low levels as well. The ability to put a bane enchant on your crossbow that corresponds to whatever you're fighting can make you deal better damage than the rogue at low level if you have time to prepare.