PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Chef Optimization Challenge I

ArcanistSupreme
2010-08-16, 07:55 PM
This is my attempt to create an optimization contest based on homebrew content. As I find a lot of homebrew PrCs to be more interesting, flavorful, and often balanced than official WotC PrCs, I decided that it was time to give them their chance to shine.

Thanks to Private-Prinny (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=50353), ErrantX (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=30553), their predecessors, and all homebrewers for making this possible (and for formatting this whole thing)!

Basically, this is a challenge to create an optimized, flavorful character, using a "Secret Ingredient" of a particular PrC, different for each contest. You will need to present your build at at least one of the following points: 5th level, 10th level, 15th, 20th, and a "sweet spot" that you feel is the high point of the build. Feel free to present as many of these as you like, and please give a rundown of the build's abilities and playability at all of the levels you didn't show. The rules are as follows:

Menu: For most challenges, the "special ingredient" will be drawn from The GitP PrC Contest (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142083). There will, from time to time, be special challenges that showcase secret ingredients from other hombrewers.

Kitchen: Competitors will be free to use any official 3.5 rulebook in constructing their builds. Dragon magazine is disallowed, and Unearthed Arcana is allowed; but see Elegance below. Alternate rule systems from UA such as gestalt are not allowed, as they create a different playing field. Also, item familiars are forbidden.

Cooking Time: Contestants will have until a date TBD to create their builds and PM them to the Chairman, ArcanistSupreme. Builds will then be posted simultaneously, to avoid copying.

Judging: Judging will be based on the following criteria, with each build rated from 1 (very poor) to 5 (exemplary) in each area: Originality, Power, Elegance, Use of Secret Ingredient.

Power level is up to you. Cheese is acceptable, but should be kept to a sane level unless you're showcasing a new TO build you've discovered. In the words of one of my predecessors, a little cheddar can be nice, but avoid the mature Gruyere unless you're making a cheese fondue.

Elegance could bear a little elaboration. It basically measures how skillfully you put your build together, and whether you sacrificed flavor for power. We're cooking here - if your dish doesn't taste good, it doesn't matter how well-presented it is. Use of flaws is an automatic point lost in this category. Other things that will cause lost points here are excessive multiclassing, and classes that don't fit the concept - using Cloistered Cleric in a front-line melee fighter, for example, will lose you points.

I am going to have to ask the contestants to PM me about any disagreement with the judges. Under no circumstances is a contestant to defend themselves inside the thread, since it breaks anonymity.

Presentation: Builds will be posted anonymously, in order to avoid the potential of bias towards a particular competitor. For this reason, please don't put your name in the build, as I'm likely to miss it when anonymising the entries!

Due to concerns about standardizing entry format, I'd like everyone to try to use the following table for their entry.NAME OF ENTRY
{table=head]Level|Class|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Skills|Feats|Class Features

1st|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

2nd|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

3rd|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

4th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

5th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

6th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

7th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

8th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

9th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

10th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

11th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

12th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

13th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

14th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

15th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

16th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

17th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

18th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

19th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

20th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities[/table]

CodeNAME OF ENTRY
{table=head]Level|Class|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Skills|Feats|Class Features

1st|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

2nd|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

3rd|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

4th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

5th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

6th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

7th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

8th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

9th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

10th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

11th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

12th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

13th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

14th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

15th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

16th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

17th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

18th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

19th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|

20th|New Class Level|
+x|
+x|
+x|
+x|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities[/table]

For entries with spellcasting, use the following table for Spells per day and Spells Known. (Spells Known only if necessary, i.e. Sorcerer or Bard, but not Wizard or Warmage)
Spells per day/Spells Known
{table=head]Level|0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th|9th

1st|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

2nd|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

3rd|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

4th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

5th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

6th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

7th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

8th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

9th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

10th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

11th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

12th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

13th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

14th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

15th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

16th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

17th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

18th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

19th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

20th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-[/table]

CodeSpells per day/Spells Known
{table=head]Level|0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th|9th

1st|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

2nd|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

3rd|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

4th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

5th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

6th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

7th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

8th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

9th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

10th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

11th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

12th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

13th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

14th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

15th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

16th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

17th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

18th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

19th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

20th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-[/table]

For other systems (Psionics, ToB, Incarnum, etc.) keep track of PP/maneuvers/essentia separately, preferably in a nice neat list.

Speculation: Please don't post or speculate on possible builds until the "reveal," in order to avoid spoiling the surprise if a particular competitor is producing a build along those lines.

Leadership is banned; we're producing a meal, not a seven-course banquet for a hundred diners.

So! Who wants to sign up as a contestant, and who wants to sign up as a judge? Looking for a few judges and as many contestants as feel like playing!

ArcanistSupreme
2010-08-16, 07:56 PM
This week's Secret Ingredient is...

To be determined.

true_shinken
2010-08-21, 03:16 PM
I think before starting the contest you should get a feel of which homebrewed classes are more popular. I think it should be much the contrary of Iron Chef - don't use under-rated classes, but the most popular ones.

Also, you simply copied Iron Chef's criteria. I don't think you should to that. This is your contest, after all. And the way you wrote it, you limit it to 'don't use homwbrew other than the secret ingredient' and I'm not sure if that was your intention.

Marnath
2010-08-21, 03:29 PM
One, this should be in Homebrew, and Two triple posting is frowned on. See the forum rules at the top of the page.

ArcanistSupreme
2010-08-22, 02:13 PM
I think before starting the contest you should get a feel of which homebrewed classes are more popular. I think it should be much the contrary of Iron Chef - don't use under-rated classes, but the most popular ones.

Also, you simply copied Iron Chef's criteria. I don't think you should to that. This is your contest, after all. And the way you wrote it, you limit it to 'don't use homwbrew other than the secret ingredient' and I'm not sure if that was your intention.

I wasn't sure how to set this up for the first contest, so I just picked a class that was both interesting and got a lot of votes in the homebrew contest. Do you have an idea about how to pick a more interesting class?

And the exclusion of other homebrew material was intentional. I wanted this to be an optimization/playtest of the specific class, not all homebrew at the same time.

One, this should be in Homebrew, and Two triple posting is frowned on. See the forum rules at the top of the page.

I disagree about this being in homebrew. It is an attempt to see how well the homebrew classes can fit in an actual game, and there is no further homebrewing going on within this contest.

As for the double posting, the original post was too big for one post. And the third post was me forgetting :smallfrown:

Draz74
2010-08-22, 05:44 PM
That Secret Ingredient class is looooooooong. :smallfrown:

realbombchu
2010-08-22, 06:36 PM
I'll play, I think, but I'm not good at optimizing. Practice makes perfect, though. :)

true_shinken
2010-08-23, 01:10 PM
That Secret Ingredient class is looooooooong. :smallfrown:

I agree. I'd join the contest if it was about a simpler class, but this requires homebrewed feats to even qualify. I think it should start... simpler. Maybe a non-caster, even.

ArcanistSupreme
2010-08-24, 04:09 PM
Any suggestions for a more basic class? What about the Eerie traveler from this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116389) thread? (Does anyone know how to link directly to a specific post)

Draz74
2010-08-24, 04:29 PM
(Does anyone know how to link directly to a specific post)

Click on the little white number in the top right corner of the post you want. Your browser should open a new tab with just the single post in it. Copy the URL of the single post from that tab's address bar.