PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Barbarian

jamorris09
2010-08-16, 09:30 PM
Hey everyone, I need some advice on some flavor, but also viability. I like the idea of the dragon themed character, but I'm not big on the DS or DFA. I just want a character who has as many HP as a dragon, can send waves of enemies running back where they came from and attacks with a bestial fury... a dragon. I don't want a charging leaping barbarian. I'm just having trouble with finding a flavorful way of keeping him on par.

I found and like the firestorm berserker prc, it doesn't add a whole lot really but I like the picture of him chopping and slashing, then just flames an incoming swarm of minions. Between that and frightful presence I want him to be the center of attention on the battlefield, people quit fighting because they are witness to his fury.

Any help with feats, other prcs, races or items that further his draconic appearance would be greatly appreciated.

Yorrin
2010-08-16, 09:44 PM
I'm probably going to get ninja'd sworsage'd one this one, but you're gonna want to go with a Dragonborn. It's a 0LA template that's essentially a race. Very effective when combined with something like a Water Orc. It basically turns you into a draconic humanoid. Breath weapon is one of three optional racial characteristics (though the wings are generally considered the best of the three options). It's all found in Races of the Dragon.

TooManyBadgers
2010-08-16, 09:47 PM
Here are my first thoughts:

[I'm not familiar with the Firestorm Berserker. I hope these don't overlap too badly.]

Races of the Dragon has the Dragonborn (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20060105b&page=1) 'Race.' It's more like a template that can be applied to characters to grant dragon appearance and qualities (choice of wings, breath weapon or... blindsight?) without LA.

The Totem Rager class in Magic of Incarnum, combined with the Dragon soulmelds in Dragon Magic is probably the best way to directly mimic dragon features (claws, breath weapons, wings, tail) while still improving as a Barbarian.

The Dreadful Wrath regional feat from Player's Guide to Faerun gives a Frightful presence ability that isn't capped by pesky HD. Libris Mortis and the Draconomicon each have versions that do use the cap.

Intimidating Rage in Complete Warrior allows a Barbarian to Intimidate without using an action and to maintain a decent duration (not the 1-round default). If you want to mechanically portray being big and scary on the battlefield, it helps.

It could be an interesting spin to use draconic grafts (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060106a&page=5) to become more dragon-like.

There's a Dragon Totem (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#dragonTotemClassFeatur es) barbarian variant in Unearthed Arcana. It's not the greatest (especially if not all your levels are actually in Barbarian), but it matches your fluff to the letter.

Urpriest
2010-08-16, 09:51 PM
Dragon Disciples actually make decent barbarians, at least compared to the other stuff they could be used for. Pick up enough sorceror or bard to qualify and benefit from the Str bonuses.

devinkowalczyk
2010-08-16, 09:54 PM
In 3.5 I had a player play a truly amazing half dragon duskblade.
Also sorceror works very well too

Runestar
2010-08-16, 10:00 PM
Dragon Disciples actually make decent barbarians, at least compared to the other stuff they could be used for. Pick up enough sorceror or bard to qualify and benefit from the Str bonuses.

You would be better off just slapping on the half-dragon template in this case, IMO, and taking 7 lvs in a class which actually does something. :smalltongue:

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-08-16, 10:04 PM
I recomend

Aquatic elf dragonborn: +2 Con, -2 int and youll net a 40 ft swim speed, if you like dex

Earth dwarf dragonborn: +2 Str +4 Con -4 Dex -2 Cha. . . for more crazy combatness.

or

if this is all about the flavor of being a dragon. . . Raptoran Dragonborn: +2 con -2 dex, and you get to keep the wings! (though depending on the level you go dragon born you could just end up with a glide)

Class wise i highly advise looking at dragonmagic. . . there are a few prestige classes that might be up your alley. Daimond dragon would give you the option of going the psionics route.

jamorris09
2010-08-16, 10:08 PM
I'm not sure where the firestorm berserker is from, I found it on crystalkeep.com. I like the dragon UA variant it's not great but I think it gives blindsight, correct me if I'm wrong. I'll have to look up some of those feats later, about to go to sleep now, intimidating rage and dreadful wrath sound solid for what I'm thinking. Also DD is something I'd thought about and I'm on the fence. The increases make rage increases less necessary but I don't get the feel of flavor I want. Totem raged might do the trick too, I'll have to look at that closer to. Thanks so far everyone.

Yorrin
2010-08-16, 10:54 PM
Not the most optimum of prestige classes, but since nobody has brought it up...
Dragon Samurai from Miniatures Handbook is an interesting option. Medium BAB, good Fort/Will, gains a 1/day breath weapon (that can stack with existing breath weapons), elemental resistance, blind-fight, a couple of extra d6s of elemental damage on any weapon you wield, and some other minor stuff.

And if Oriental Adventures is allowed the oft-overlooked Hida Defender can give you uber-tons of extra rages per day and faster DR progression, at the cost of never getting stuff like tireless rage. But that can be overcome with a 1-lvls dip in Horizon Walker and picking desert terrain, which makes you immune to fatigue.

And, to be comprehensive, Champion of Gwynharwyf isn't bad either. BoED, which I don't think is the flavor you're going for, but still a solid option.

Gavinfoxx
2010-08-16, 10:56 PM
Dragonwrought Kobold maybe?

Yorrin
2010-08-16, 11:08 PM
Just found Firestorm Berserker. Dragon Magazine #314. Gives up higher level raging for a breath weapon that reduces the length of your current rage whenever you use it. But you can take Con damage to lengthen your rages. Also gains a limited fire aura to damage attackers, fire immunity, and a 1/day 10d6 fire damage in an area around yourself. This could have good synergy with Hida Defender with all its extra Rage attempts. Also good with a binder dip for Naberius-style Con damage mitigation.

It requires rage 3/day, by the way. But a build like
Barbarian 8/Binder 1/Firestorm Berzerker 10/whatever 1
could, in theory, rage indefinitely. Though to be honest I wouldn't take Firestorm Berzerker past lvl6 (when you get the Con-damage to extend the rage thing). So my build would look more like
Barbarian 6/Champion of Gwyharwyf 2/Binder 1/Firestorm Berzerker 6/continue Champion of Gwyharwyf

TooManyBadgers
2010-08-16, 11:16 PM
I'm not sure where the firestorm berserker is from, I found it on crystalkeep.com. I like the dragon UA variant it's not great but I think it gives blindsight, correct me if I'm wrong.
It give Blind-Fight, which is a pretty mediocre feat, not the sensory ability. When I said "not the greatest," I think I was trying to cushion the statement "it's pretty awful." I only brought it up because it matches in flavor.
(I know these boards don't care one bit for that sort of thing, but some players do. I don't know whether you're one of them or not.)

Tokuhara
2010-08-16, 11:21 PM
Just found Firestorm Berserker. Dragon Magazine #314. Gives up higher level raging for a breath weapon that reduces the length of your current rage whenever you use it. But you can take Con damage to lengthen your rages. Also gains a limited fire aura to damage attackers, fire immunity, and a 1/day 10d6 fire damage in an area around yourself. This could have good synergy with Hida Defender with all its extra Rage attempts. Also good with a binder dip for Naberius-style Con damage mitigation.

It requires rage 3/day, by the way. But a build like
Barbarian 8/Binder 1/Firestorm Berzerker 10/whatever 1
could, in theory, rage indefinitely. Though to be honest I wouldn't take Firestorm Berzerker past lvl6 (when you get the Con-damage to extend the rage thing). So my build would look more like
Barbarian 6/Champion of Gwyharwyf 2/Binder 1/Firestorm Berzerker 6/continue Champion of Gwyharwyf

I like the tandem of Barbarian, Binder, and Firestorm Berserker.

If you can get the Half-Dragon template somehow, say drop 3 levels of the barbarian (often a bad move, but can be fixed), you can, post-epic, actually qualify for Bloodscaled Fury, which with being Dragon type, means all you need is to actually pick up the Frightful Presence feat (i know there is one...) and you suddenly can open a world of hurt on anyone who can't run too fast

If you want to use Cheesewrought Kobold in this, might I suggest picking up Passion's Flame sovereign and then going Barb/Bind/FsB, then post-epic entering Bloodscaled Fury. All fear the Cheesewrought Bloodscaled Fury with Infinite Rages/day

jamorris09
2010-08-17, 08:08 AM
Tried to find some information on the totem rager online and couldn't find much, I'll have to find the book somewhere and peruse it.

Dreadful wrath is an awesome ability. The problem with level caps is my DM likes to throw NPCs much more powerful than us into the mix. I think it all started because we never once backed down from a fight. One time we refused to surrender even though we were outnumbered in an on-sea adventure (no even had skills in swim) after being woken up (no armor). Everyone died lol.

It give Blind-Fight, which is a pretty mediocre feat, not the sensory ability. When I said "not the greatest," I think I was trying to cushion the statement "it's pretty awful." I only brought it up because it matches in flavor.
I'm always the only powergamer in my group, so I'm trying to really flavor it up this time. The other people in the party are going to be a THF samurai, an arrow demon corrupter (this guy has like every dragon mag), a troll minion (the corrupters puppet), and then me. The corrupter has a huge UMD so we have heals taken care of. As well as the face, the fighter use to be the court face for a noble. So the angle I was going to take was the still noble but also very natural ancient force of destruction. So things like blind-fight, uncontrollable fiery rage, whose mere presence makes people want to leave the room, but too afraid to stand up.

I'm thinking about wielding a great axe, but I'm wondering if something else would be more fitting, such as TWF spiked gauntlets.

If you can get the Half-Dragon template somehow, say drop 3 levels of the barbarian (often a bad move, but can be fixed), you can, post-epic, actually qualify for Bloodscaled Fury, which with being Dragon type, means all you need is to actually pick up the Frightful Presence feat (i know there is one...) and you suddenly can open a world of hurt on anyone who can't run too fast
Found this. Too cool. Especially if I were able to get pretty far along in barb the overall increase, including some feats would be like a 16 or 18 to str and con. Of course that is epic, doubt we'll actually be getting there. Although it could be a cool story twist, maybe he can become overcome with power and fury and turns into a brutal leader of a region. I like the possibilities.