PDA

View Full Version : PEACH - Homebrew Feats

Revan Ordo
2010-08-17, 08:31 AM
Here are a few feats that I would like some feedback on, particularly about their balance.

Hammer Fist
You are able to put great force behind your unarmed strikes.
Prerequisites: Str 17+ or Wis 17+ if your a monk, BAB: +3, Improved Unarmed Strike
Benefit: When calculating damage for your unarmed strikes, add twice your Strength modifier to your damage roll.
Special: If you are a monk, instead of twice your Strength modifier you may add twice your Wisdom modifier when calculating damage for your unarmed strikes.

Practiced Warrior
Your training and hard work have paid off, few come close to your skills as a warrior.
Prerequisites: You must have a BAB equal to your level.
Benefit: Your BAB increases by +1 you gain all the benfits of having a higher BAB including gaining an extra attack if applicable (i.e. A 5th level fighter with this feat would have a BAB of +6/+1). This feat may only be taken once.

Prodigious Sorcerer
You are able to learn spells more easily than others of your kind.
Prerequisites: Int 15+, Sorcerer 1st
Benfit: You gain a number of bonus sorcerer spells known equal to the number of bonus spells per day you would get from having a High Intelligence score.

Of these three feats, the prodigious sorcerer is the one I'm most concerned about with balance. However, I figured that making it based off of Intelligence (not a high priority with the Sorcerer) about balanced it out.

togapika
2010-08-17, 09:24 AM
Practiced Warrior
Your training and hard work have paid off, few come close to your skills as a warrior.
Benefit: Your BAB increases by +1 you gain all the benfits of having a higher BAB including gaining an extra attack if applicable (i.e. A 5th level fighter with this feat would have a BAB of +6/+1).

So a feat that let's you qualify for other feats and prestige classes sooner? That might have some opportunities for abuse...

Revan Ordo
2010-08-17, 10:05 AM
togapika,

You are correct and I see that potential. However, I've also been considering giving it one of the following options as prerequisites:

A) Only available to fighters

B) Only available to barbarians/fighters/monks

It could still be abused even with those prerequisites, however, a good DM would prevent such abuse.

Temotei
2010-08-17, 11:23 AM
Hammer Fist
You are able to put great force behind your unarmed strikes.
Prerequisites: Str 17+, BAB: +3, Improved Unarmed Strike
Benefit: When calculating damage for your unarmed strikes, add twice your Strength modifier to your damage roll.
Special: If you are a monk, instead of twice your Strength modifier you may add twice your Wisdom modifier when calculating damage for your unarmed strikes.

Why not allow monks to qualify with Wisdom instead of Strength?

Practiced Warrior
Benefit: Your BAB increases by +1 you gain all the benfits of having a higher BAB including gaining an extra attack if applicable (i.e. A 5th level fighter with this feat would have a BAB of +6/+1).

This has been discussed over and over on these boards; raising your base attack bonus with a feat is not a good idea.

Of course, it's your homebrew. :smallamused:

Prodigious Sorcerer
You are able to learn spells more easily than others of your kind.
Prerequisites: Int 15+, Sorcerer 1st
Benfit: You gain a number of bonus spells known equal to the number of bonus spells per day you would get from having a High Intelligence score.

Is this in addition to the bonus spells they normally get? I'd like it if it's not. If it is, then...I don't like it, honestly.

Glimbur
2010-08-17, 11:42 AM
Prodigious Sorcerer is pretty sweet for an Ultimate Magus build, and might tempt wizards in to taking a sorc dip. The latter is because you don't specify which class gets the bonus spells. It currently reads as though any spellcasting class you have gets the bonus spells.

Revan Ordo
2010-08-17, 11:57 AM
Alright, I've made some of the changes you've suggested.

Hammer Fist - The monk can now qualify for it with Wisdom instead of Strength.

Practiced Warrior - I'm aware that this has been discussed over and over and that the general consensus is that it isn't a good idea. However, if I were to limit it to say only fighters or to only barbarians/fighter/or monks it wouldn't be all that unbalanced really. This is especially true when you consider that it may only be taken once, although I probably should specify that in the feat description.

Prodigious Sorcerer - Normally sorcerer's only get bonus spells per day (i.e. spell slots) from having a high Charisma score, after reading through the PHB they do not get bonus spells known from having a high Charisma score. Therefore a Sorcerer with this feat gains bonus spells known equal to the number of bonus spells per day they would get from their Intelligence score.

Andion Isurand
2010-08-17, 08:40 PM
How about a Pacticed Initiator feat that works like Practiced Spellcaster, granting a +4 bonus to initiator level limited by HD

LingVudka
2010-08-18, 07:06 AM
I think Hammer Fist and Prodigious Sorcerer are good but not Practiced Warrior. I'm also of the opinion that anything that adjusts BAB is a no no (unless the DM rules it :smallwink:). I hope you don't mind if use these feats in my game. :smallbiggrin:

Revan Ordo
2010-08-18, 07:17 AM
Andion Isurand,

A Practiced Initiator feat would be a good idea, however, I don't care much for TOB. It tried to make warriors into spellcasters and it could have been so much more. Just my personal opinion.

LingVudka,

As with all my homebrew stuff in this forum, feel free to use it whenever. Just give me some credit when anyone asks you where you got it.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. It has been insightful.

Also I have two other feats that I've been working on. They are very rough and potentially could be overpowered. They will definitely need some work.

Mental Prowess
Your mind is great and powerful.
Prerequisites: Int 15+, Wis 15+, Cha 15+, 1st level only
Benefit: Whenever you would gain an ability increase from your class level or HD you also gain one additional ability increase that must be put into one of your mental ability scores (Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma.)

Physical Prowess
You are the Olympian ideal.
Prerequisites: Str 15+, Dex 15+, Con 15+, 1st level only
Benefit: Whenever you would gain an ability increase from your class level or HD you also gain one additional ability increase that must be put into one of your physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution.)

Any suggestions to make them more balanced? The Prerequisites may need to be stricter, but I'm not sure.

Andion Isurand
2010-08-23, 09:26 PM
Mental Prowess
Your mind is great and powerful.
Prerequisites: Int 15+, Wis 15+, Cha 15+, 1st level only
Benefit: Whenever you would gain an ability increase from your class level or HD you also gain one additional ability increase that must be put into one of your mental ability scores (Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma.)

Physical Prowess
You are the Olympian ideal.
Prerequisites: Str 15+, Dex 15+, Con 15+, 1st level only
Benefit: Whenever you would gain an ability increase from your class level or HD you also gain one additional ability increase that must be put into one of your physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution.)

Any suggestions to make them more balanced? The Prerequisites may need to be stricter, but I'm not sure.

First of all, they require that you already have strong and well rounded ability scores upon creation... and second, its like getting a free epic feat every 4 levels... so I'd have to fundamentally disagree with this implementation.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////

CANTRIP MASTERY
You have commited of all your cantrips to memory.
Prerequsite: Wizard level 1st
Benefit: You may prepare any 0-level wizard spell without a spellbook.
Special: This feat can be gained instead of the Scribe Scroll bonus feat normally gained by a 1st level wizard. If taken in this manner, you may exchange all the 0-level spells in your inital spellbook for an extra 1st level wizard spell of your choosing.

SUPERIOR TWO-WEAPON FIGHTING
Prerequisites: Dex 21, Greater Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Two-Weapon Fighting, base attack bonus +16.
Benefit: You get a fourth attack with your off-hand weapon, albeit at a -15 penalty. See the Two-Weapon Fighting special attack.
Special: A fighter may select Superior Two-Weapon Fighting as one of his fighter bonus feats. A 16th-level ranger who has chosen the two-weapon combat style is treated as having Superior Two-Weapon Fighting, even if he does not have the prerequisites for it, but only when he is wearing light or no armor.