PDA

View Full Version : Lich as Phylactery (D&D 3.5)

Ajadea
2010-08-17, 08:50 AM
I have this idea for a BBEG. A lich. His phylactery: another lich (L2, for now). That lich's phylactery: BBEG. If, say, L2 is destroyed (physically), would that destroy my BBEG's phylactery permanently, or would L2 still be a phylactery when he came back?

hamishspence
2010-08-17, 08:52 AM
Is it possible to make somebody into a phylactery? Normally they are Tiny objects- and one might have thought that turning one of your bones into it, would disallow that bone from being a part of you.

Cespenar
2010-08-17, 08:53 AM
Is it possible to make somebody into a phylactery? Normally they are Tiny objects- and one might have thought that turning one of your bones into it, would disallow that bone from being a part of you.

Demilich phylactery! :smalltongue:

Ajadea
2010-08-17, 09:34 AM

You can have alternate phlyacteries, it says so right in the SRD. I think that it is technically possible to have a person-phylactery. If you disagree, please tell me why.

Also: Demilich phylactery: Win.

hamishspence
2010-08-17, 09:35 AM
Main point is- a being is normally not an object- even an undead being. Nor are functioning parts of that being.

"alternate" means they can look like what you want, but they will all have the same stats.

Vangor
2010-08-17, 09:46 AM
The phylactery does mention items, but still were the other lich destroyed the life force stored in the form is released and presumably goes back to the original lich as this is why the lich can then be destroyed permanently. I would say you could not one way or another.

ArcanistSupreme
2010-08-17, 09:57 AM
Nothing to stop L2 from swallowing the BBEG's phylactery, though. Or embedding it in his skull or something.

shadow_archmagi
2010-08-17, 09:59 AM
Oh god

703 liches. Lich 1 uses Lich 2 as his phylactery. Lich 2 uses 3 as his phylactery.

If you do not kill all of them, they can all respawn.

Vangor
2010-08-17, 10:09 AM
Nothing to stop L2 from swallowing the BBEG's phylactery, though. Or embedding it in his skull or something.

But the intent is for the phylactery to reform when the second lich reforms, which wouldn't happen if the second lich were merely holding the object in some way, which embedded that in his skull or swallowing it would probably be.

BRC
2010-08-17, 10:11 AM
Oh god

703 liches. Lich 1 uses Lich 2 as his phylactery. Lich 2 uses 3 as his phylactery.

If you do not kill all of them, they can all respawn.
Do you need 703? Couldn't this Phylactery Chain work with any number.
Lich 1 uses lich 2, Lich 2 uses Lich 3, Lich 3 uses Lich 4, Lich 4 uses Lich 1.

Because that actually sounds like an awesome idea. A group of Wizards become Liche's, forming this Phylactery Chain. If the PC's want to put an end to their reign of terror they need to kill them ALL in quick succession , before they start regenerating.

mcl01
2010-08-17, 10:23 AM
Player's reply? Hunter of the Dead.

dsmiles
2010-08-17, 10:24 AM
Is that a phylactery in your essence, or are you just happy to see me?
:smallbiggrin:

ArcanistSupreme
2010-08-17, 10:29 AM
But the intent is for the phylactery to reform when the second lich reforms, which wouldn't happen if the second lich were merely holding the object in some way, which embedded that in his skull or swallowing it would probably be.

Right, but it would let the second Lich keep a very close eye on the phylactery :smallbiggrin:.

Lord Vampyre
2010-08-17, 02:35 PM

Here is the problem: Even if the phylactery could be the body of the second lich, the phylactery is tied to form of the second lich, not his essence. Meaning when the second lich reforms, he is reforming a new body, therefore a new phylactery would have to be created.

Now, as the DM you are free to change this however you see fit.

ericgrau
2010-08-17, 02:54 PM
Alternate phylactery examples are things like rings or amulets. Regardless a phylactery requires craft wondrous item. I don't think by "alternate phylactery" they even dreamed of what people later came up with.

Maybe if you stored the phylactery inside the other lich.