PDA

View Full Version : Help with character design (Jing: King of Bandits)

Karuth
2010-08-17, 10:01 AM
I have been trying to design a character based on the concept of the manga character "Jing: King of Bandits".
The titular character Jing, has a talking bird that can fuse with his right arm to fire powerful energy beams (from the bird's mouth). I thought that'd make for an interesting character concept (combat wise).

The problem is, the only way I know how to fuse two creatures is with a high level psionic power. And I'd like the ability at a bit of a lower level (like before level 10). And even then the fusing would not help with the blasting part.

So, I'm posting here in hopes that you have some interesting ideas.

Summary what is needed:
- D&D 3.5 or Pathfinder
- Every official source is allowed
- An animal as friend (through whatever means, bonus if it can talk)
- Being able to fuse/combine said animal to one arm
- Being able to project something from the animal's mouth (or other body part if suitable) that can be used as an attack (it does not have to be pure energy)

Extra:
- Being able to do either many small shots or a single strong one.
- Symbiotic relationship: The two should be more powerful combined than alone (to compensate for the loss of a actions when combining two creatures into one)
- Can do the fusing below level 10

Thank you ^^

true_shinken
2010-08-18, 10:39 AM
I have been trying to design a character based on the concept of the manga character "Jing: King of Bandits".

You will need action points for this to work.
Get a dorje of fusion with one charge and the feat Wand Surge. Now you can fuse by spending an action point. Heroic Spirit gets you 8+1/2 level action points, meaning that considering the standard encounter formula, you will be able to fuse almost always without spending charges.
If you'd use cheese, get one of the infinte action points combos. Google it. Very cheesy, though.
Or... just play a Warlock and refluff the eldritch blast as being from the fused bird. Obtain Familiar for the bird also works. Psionic Shot for your 'charged shot' effect.

Karuth
2010-08-19, 06:00 AM
You will need action points for this to work.
Get a dorje of fusion with one charge and the feat Wand Surge. Now you can fuse by spending an action point. Heroic Spirit gets you 8+1/2 level action points, meaning that considering the standard encounter formula, you will be able to fuse almost always without spending charges.
If you'd use cheese, get one of the infinte action points combos. Google it. Very cheesy, though.
Or... just play a Warlock and refluff the eldritch blast as being from the fused bird. Obtain Familiar for the bird also works. Psionic Shot for your 'charged shot' effect.

I haven't played with actions points before. I thought those are for re-rolls of critical failures or something? And I am also not familiar with Dorje of fusion. Is that a psionic item?

The Warlock idea sounds simple and nice though. But wouldn't I need psi-powers to get psionic shot?

Greenish
2010-08-19, 07:47 AM
I haven't played with actions points before. I thought those are for re-rolls of critical failures or something?You use them to boost rolls and a handful of other stuff depending on class/feats. At least the Eberron ones.
And I am also not familiar with Dorje of fusion. Is that a psionic item?Yeah, dorjes are psionic wands.

The Warlock idea sounds simple and nice though. But wouldn't I need psi-powers to get psionic shot?Psionic race will do. (Or wild/hidden talent).

Karuth
2010-08-20, 01:27 AM
You use them to boost rolls and a handful of other stuff depending on class/feats. At least the Eberron ones.Yeah, dorjes are psionic wands.
Psionic race will do. (Or wild/hidden talent).

Thank you ^^