PDA

View Full Version : I need build advice(3.5 Ed.)

Sydonai
2010-08-17, 12:16 PM
I am no longer allowed to play a Warlock, the DM didn't apreciate me destroying all the locked(and trapped) doors with Eldritch Blast. So now I need a new character.

Changeling or Neraph for the race.

Archivest, Binder, Factotum, or Totemist for the class.

Chaotic Evil for the alignment.

He will be an anarchist, and will hate slavery.

Beyond that I need a decent build.

I prefer roleplay over combat, but need something that won't die within the first ten minutes.

Draz74
2010-08-17, 12:20 PM
Did your DM realize that Eldritch Blast deals half damage to objects? And that those objects' Hardness gets subtracted from the damage, after the damage is cut in half? A low-level Warlock shouldn't be any better than a Barbarian throwing rocks at destroying trapped doors.

That said, Binder will lead to the same kinds of problems as Warlock in this area. He, too, gets a number of magical ranged attacks that can be used as many times per day as desired (albeit with a 5-round wait time in between uses). Totemist can do this too, if you pick the right Soulmelds.

All four classes you listed are pretty decent and survivable. Totemist and Binder are probably more difficult to play effectively than Factotum or Archivist. Archivist is by far the most powerful of the four if you powergame it.

What level are you building for?

Sydonai
2010-08-17, 12:46 PM
The DM never used Warlocks before and got ticked that I could destroy(or at least activate) the traps he built(to force us to make a rogue pc) from a distance.

I think the level is 2nd or 5th, it depends, if he uses a module then its 2nd, if he lets us sanbox then its 5th.

What about the race?

TooManyBadgers
2010-08-17, 12:56 PM
I'd go with Binder, probably. It could be fun to play with the anarchist/antislavery thing in a character who voluntarily sacrifices his own freedoms to Monsters of the Unknown Beyond.

Sydonai
2010-08-17, 01:02 PM
I'd go with Binder, probably. It could be fun to play with the anarchist/antislavery thing in a character who voluntarily sacrifices his own freedoms to Monsters of the Unknown Beyond.

He would view it as "Allowing the wrongfully imprisoned a chance to experience freedom".

I think he would be more chaotic than evil; someone who almost worships freedom but will go to any length to achieve it. He'll probably have the Touch of Benevolence feat from Lords of Ruin.