PDA

View Full Version : Computer question: Anyone had this happen to games after a computer crash?

Gamerlord
2010-08-17, 02:13 PM
A couple months ago, I had a serious computer crash, everything that computer did not start out with was gone, I have managed to reinstall most of the stuff, but a few games have ceased working. These games worked beautifully before the crash. I have not made any modifications to the computer, my drivers are up to date, I cannot figure out any reason for the malfunctions. All the malfunctions are during installation. Any answers?

IonDragon
2010-08-17, 03:36 PM
Just so you know, the term 'crash' is widely misused and rather lacks meaning at this point. If information is missing, either it was erased off of your hard drive, or possibly you are on another user account. How old is your computer, and can you be more specific about what happened?

Gamerlord
2010-08-17, 03:38 PM
Just so you know, the term 'crash' is widely misused and rather lacks meaning at this point. If information is missing, either it was erased off of your hard drive, or possibly you are on another user account. How old is your computer, and can you be more specific about what happened?

Here is what happened during the crash period:
I would start the computer, and every single time, within 5 seconds it automatically crashed. I believe the computer is 4-5 years old.

IonDragon
2010-08-17, 03:55 PM
Here is what happened during the crash period:
I would start the computer, and every single time, within 5 seconds it automatically crashed. I believe the computer is 4-5 years old.
That's wonderful, but what did it do?

Magdela
2010-08-17, 03:58 PM
Also, what OS?
There are many variables when determining what is causing a computer problem such as yours.

Ion is really asking:
Did any errors pop up?
When exactly during startup did it shut off?
Can you access BIOS?

Gamerlord
2010-08-17, 03:59 PM
That's wonderful, but what did it do?

Simply went blank, died, as if some invisible person had hit the start button while it was still on the OS loading screen.

Also, what OS?
There are many variables when determining what is causing a computer problem such as yours.

Ion is really asking:
Did any errors pop up?
When exactly during startup did it shut off?
Can you access BIOS?
Windows XP.
No errors.
Shuts off around the OS loading screen or the dell loading screen.
If I was quick enough, I could get to the setup screen where it showed the specifics of the computer.

Magdela
2010-08-17, 04:00 PM
Simply went blank, died, as if some invisible person had hit the start button while it was still on the OS loading screen.
And this no longer occurs, correct?

Sounds like a problem with your processor overheating or a problem with your OS.

Gamerlord
2010-08-17, 04:02 PM
And this no longer occurs, correct?

Sounds like a problem with your processor overheating or a problem with your OS.

Correct, Dell repaired it.

IonDragon
2010-08-17, 04:04 PM
Dell repaired it.

No, they probably just gave you a new computer with some of your files copied back over. Send it back again. If it's a Dell chances are high it's broken again.

Gamerlord
2010-08-17, 04:07 PM
No, they probably just gave you a new computer with some of your files copied back over. Send it back again. If it's a Dell chances are high it's broken again.

Uh,no. I contacted them on the phone, perhaps I should rephrase my statement.
With help from dell over the phone, it was repaired. I don't exactly know how they fixed it thought, because A: A family member spoke with them on the phone because I was busy and B: I doubt said family member would remember.

Magdela
2010-08-17, 04:07 PM
Correct, Dell repaired it.
Oi! :smallsigh: I hate dell. (I'd rant but I don't want to derail the thread)

So, what exactly happens when you try to start these games? Any pop up errors? Or does it just start, then close itself and you're back at your desktop?

Also, did you "acquire" them or buy them? (I've had problems where the borrowed disk would not work, only if I bought it)

Erloas
2010-08-17, 04:11 PM
Dell repaired it.

Ah, I think we've found the problem.

Short answer is, rather then trying to fix whatever problem happened, Dell simply reverted back to the initial backup (worst way, and not too likely given the age) or they just re-installed Windows without making any effort at all to retain previous information on the computer. Its possible, and not too unlikely given the age, that the hard drive was failing and they replaced it and it would explain why everything was missing.
It is possible too that most of your drivers, video card especially, are 4-5 years old too, and that would explain why a lot of things wouldn't work.

What I would do is do a clean install of XP yourself, completely removing everything that was on the hard drive before. After that you'll go through a fairly long process of updating everything again, but it should work better when you are done.

Gamerlord
2010-08-17, 04:11 PM
Oi! :smallsigh: I hate dell. (I'd rant but I don't want to derail the thread)

So, what exactly happens when you try to start these games? Any pop up errors? Or does it just start, then close itself and you're back at your desktop?

Also, did you "acquire" them or buy them? (I've had problems where the borrowed disk would not work, only if I bought it)

I have tried to install said games at least within a week of the computer being fixed. I have tried them repeatedly over time. I legally bought them. On one the installation simply freezes. On the other it talks about missing files, perhaps I can retry and post screenshots of the malfunction.

Ah, I think we've found the problem.

Short answer is, rather then trying to fix whatever problem happened, Dell simply reverted back to the initial backup (worst way, and not too likely given the age) or they just re-installed Windows without making any effort at all to retain previous information on the computer. Its possible, and not too unlikely given the age, that the hard drive was failing and they replaced it and it would explain why everything was missing.
It is possible too that most of your drivers, video card especially, are 4-5 years old too, and that would explain why a lot of things wouldn't work.

What I would do is do a clean install of XP yourself, completely removing everything that was on the hard drive before. After that you'll go through a fairly long process of updating everything again, but it should work better when you are done.
Okay, I...don't know where my XP disk is, in fact, I don't believe I have one, the thing came with XP. Also I have my drivers fully updated.

IonDragon
2010-08-17, 04:13 PM
Do you have a younger sibling who uses the computer and may have removed some 'nonessential' files to make room? Because this doesn't sound like a usual computer malfunctioning problem.

Ok, the installers won't run, it's probably the hard drive then.

Magdela
2010-08-17, 04:16 PM
If you're going to follow Erloas's advice but don't want to install xp. DON'T DO VISTA.

And those problems still sound like hard drive failure or OS problem. Fresh install +1.
(are we allowed to post links to newegg around here in case he needs a new HD?)

Erlo, if it worked before, why would it suddenly be outdated now? He just has to make sure he installs the proper drivers.

Gamerlord
2010-08-17, 04:23 PM
Do you have a younger sibling who uses the computer and may have removed some 'nonessential' files to make room? Because this doesn't sound like a usual computer malfunctioning problem.

Ok, the installers won't run, it's probably the hard drive then.
My younger siblings don't even know how to install stuff, much less use uninstall stuff. The installers WILL run, but mid-installation they malfunction.

Erloas
2010-08-17, 04:44 PM
Erlo, if it worked before, why would it suddenly be outdated now? He just has to make sure he installs the proper drivers.
I was making the guess that they updated drivers and service packs over the years that they probably wouldn't have updated in the weeks since this happened.

I believe Dell generally creates a partion on their drives and has the D drive as a backup. I'm betting they used this to restore the computer, but I'm betting it didn't back up every file the OS actually uses, missing some of the secondary ones. So the restore has the original versions of primary files but has newer versions of some of the secondary ones, causing some things to not work. A clean install should fix anything like that.

I think Dell has the Windows CD relabled as something like a Dell System disk or system repair disk, but unfortunately some times they never included the disk at all. But if you know anyone with the CD of the same version of XP (home, pro) you can install with their CD and use your own CD key (shiny sticker on the case somewhere, usually the back, will have it) then that will work too.

Dubious Pie
2010-08-18, 12:42 AM
OT: @Dell bashers: Dell makes the best Workstations in the world, once you include support.

IonDragon
2010-08-18, 01:01 AM
OT: @Dell bashers: Dell makes the best Workstations in the world, once you include support.Dell tech support (as most tech support) consists of people in other countries with index cards telling them what to say. It once took me 2 hours on the phone with Dell for them to tell me that the driver I needed had been misplaced, and the one on the website was wrong. The problem was never resolved.

Dell computers also have a proclivity to burn out specifically the South Bridge controller on the motherboard right around one year and change. Have you stopped to wonder why so many people in IT dis them all the time? That many people don't share the same opinion simply because it's trendy.