PDA

View Full Version : Warforged Artificer (3.5)

Ryu_Bonkosi
2010-08-17, 04:53 PM
A warforged artificer, from what I have read, is a decent choice. But I have found an astounding lack of actual recommendations on this class. I just wanted to ask here, is there any Prc's that mesh well with an artificer? The following class build is just a very rough draft done in like five minutes but I was wondering if it was ok for a Warforged Artificer.

Warforged Artificer Substitution levels at 1 & 4.

Artificer 14/Reforged 2/Spellcarved Soldier 4

Project_Mayhem
2010-08-17, 04:55 PM
As I understand it, the artificer doesn't prc so well, as some of his abilities, craft reserve definitely, are only increased by artificer levels

DementedFellow
2010-08-17, 04:57 PM
It is hard to go wrong with straight Artificer. Especially a Warforged one.

Ryu_Bonkosi
2010-08-17, 05:00 PM
I are there any feats that help boost your craft reserve? or is it just boosted by your artificer level?

PId6
2010-08-17, 05:02 PM
I are there any feats that help boost your craft reserve? or is it just boosted by your artificer level?
Only artificer levels, unfortunately.

Project_Mayhem
2010-08-17, 05:07 PM

Which, as has been said, are pretty darn good

Keld Denar
2010-08-17, 05:09 PM
There is a feat in the book Stormreach, that does some pretty cool things with wands and your composite plating. I don't remember exactly what it does atm, but I remember it being really neat. I'll look it up later.

Ryu_Bonkosi
2010-08-17, 05:10 PM

Darn. But with retain essence at 5th level I could just pick up a magical item, spend a day with it and gain reserves. So if I were to Prc (not saying I will) away from artificer, I would still have a way of not spending my exp to craft. Also speaking of craft, which craft skill would be the best for an artificer? (I have never used craft skills before so it's kind of new to me)

FMArthur
2010-08-17, 05:23 PM
Isn't there a graft-focused PrC in Lords of Madness? I couldn't tell you whether it's good or not, but it comes with its own graft reserve.

Ryu_Bonkosi
2010-08-17, 05:38 PM
Isn't there a graft-focused PrC in Lords of Madness? I couldn't tell you whether it's good or not, but it comes with its own graft reserve.

The Fleshwarper, but you need summon familiar as a class feature.

Urpriest
2010-08-17, 05:40 PM
The Fleshwarper, but you need summon familiar as a class feature.

Plus it requires 10 ranks in Heal (prereq for the Graft Flesh feat). Though as a DM, I'd allow the Artificer's Homunculus to count as a familiar, if purely for the thematic similarity of the classes.

Escheton
2010-08-17, 05:51 PM
Just make a wand of wieldskill and be done with it. +10 and skilled at any craft you need.
But otherwise just check out the dc's of the various things you want to make and put a few ranks here and there.

zaulsiin
2010-08-18, 08:51 AM
Just make a wand of wieldskill and be done with it. +10 and skilled at any craft you need.

Wieldskill was nerfed in 3.5 via the Player's Guide to Faerun. It is now only a +5 competence bonus, though it does still make you proficient in the skill and give the option of being proficient in a weapon or armor. But, it still requires you to worship Gond, if that matters for your campaign.

If the Gond flavor doesn't work for you, there's Magecraft from the Eberron Campaign Setting sourcebook. +5 competence bonus to any craft check.

Also, when choosing a Craft skill to use, make sure you look at the "Repair Warforged" use of the skill outlined in the Eberron books (such as Eberron Campaign Setting, etc). As a Warforged, I assume you'll want to be able to use this function, and only a handful of types of Craft are applicable (blacksmithing, sculpting, etc).

Ryu_Bonkosi
2010-08-18, 11:14 AM
Also, when choosing a Craft skill to use, make sure you look at the "Repair Warforged" use of the skill outlined in the Eberron books (such as Eberron Campaign Setting, etc). As a Warforged, I assume you'll want to be able to use this function, and only a handful of types of Craft are applicable (blacksmithing, sculpting, etc).

Thanks, I wasn't sure if repairing a warforged was part of an already existing craft skill or an entirely new one.

Wubs
2010-08-21, 09:36 PM
Here's some good combos, assuming you want to mix it up in melee.

Spell storing infusion let's you cast any spell up to lvl 4 for a small bit of xp per cast, these count as spell trigger items.

Metamagic Infusion (3rd Artificer) allows you to apply any metamagic feat you know without an additional cost.

Persist Spell feat.

Alter self + Warforged Charger (MM4) or Large Animated Object = Deals out pain and gets large size. The first gets 2 slam attacks without too much fuss as well as powerful charge/adamantine body. The second is mostly for the 70' base movement and being a transformer, as well as huge +natural armor boost.

Fist of Stone (Complete arcane, Sorc/Wiz 1), +6 str and an additional slam attack.

Bite of the Wererat (Spell compendium, Druid 2?), +6 dex, +2 con, +3 NA, another bite attack.

What you get at lvl 5 with this combo...

Large size, 3 slam attacks, 1 bite attack, +6 str/dex, +2 con, +3 NA.

Later on add in other stacking things like Elation persisted, or haste, swift for more attacks, etc.
-----------------
Battlefist + Monk's belt = Kungfu slamming biting warforged, UMD the monk class and see if you GM will let you count as your lvl +5 monk then. Large size punches + bigger slam attacks = pain.

------------------
Other things to do...

Shield other item (need to make this custom) on your weapon familiar, due to how weapons have hardness/hp, you can make it a large sized battlefist or something, and have it have 40 hp + 10 enhancement + half yours. It will then absorb half your injuries, or whoever else you want it to shield.

Metamorphosis or Draconic Polymorph + Weapon familiar = 2 constructs in one... Yourself, and your weapon familiar can now big bashing buddies.

These are just based off the warforged stuff, obviously, all the other goodies like Tools of War, or the ability to share repair infusion line of spells for double the healing from the above is awesomesauce too.