PDA

View Full Version : [3.5/Any] Help converting from a roll player to a role player

bartman
2010-08-17, 08:06 PM
I specifically play 3.5, but this could apply to any game system.

I suck at role playing. I love throwing the dice in combat, and I can fumble my way through a session, but I am far from a good role player. I cannot act, am not very quick on my feet (always think of the good thing to say about 2 minutes late), and have a horrible memory for lines and such.

Don't get me wrong here, I love the way our games go, but I find myself struggling a bit during the social scenes, or if our DM says "What do you do", I usually sit there and drool for a bit(In Game), then go with another player.

Does anyone have any tips that I can use to make my games more full and enjoyable? Or on how to make it easier for me to Role play?

Thank you

Tiki Snakes
2010-08-17, 09:03 PM
Here's some things to try. No idea if they'll help, but you never know unless you try, I guess. :smallsmile:

Whenever plans are being discussed in character, ALWAYS suggest something. Whether it's a good idea or not, whether it's a new direction altogether or just explaining that you agree, filter some words through your character and add them to the mix. Make it a personal rule, so that you don't feel you can duck out of it so much, and perhaps eventually you'll find it easier to think through your character.

If you struggle to think of what your character would do, then try playing a character who more closely shares your values for a while.

Make a point of paying attention, even if you can't think of anything to add. Don't fidget, or drool into space, or chat. Just focus on what's going on as intently as possible. Try your best to understand what's going on at any given point, and if you can't figure out what's actually going on, perhaps just Ask, in character?

If in doubt either remember what your current objectives are and focus on that, or just smile at the NPC's and say hello.

Urpriest
2010-08-17, 09:16 PM
Generally it's easier to learn how to roleplay if you start out playing characters that are either like you, or that have very extreme/silly personalities. Both are easy to remember the correct mannerisms for.

The Big Dice
2010-08-17, 09:20 PM
As well as the things Tiki Snakes suggests, you could try having what I call a schtick. That's some kind of mannerism or behaviour pattern that manifests out of combat. The metaphor I use for it is the schtick is the coat hanger on which the character hangs.

Taking the hanger idea a little further, the seven sentence NPC (http://pandius.com/npcbuild.html) concept is worth looking at. What that does is give you a loose framework based around the character's physical appearance, values, interactions with others and a few other useful ideas.

You don't have to be an Oscar winning actor to be a good roleplayer. All it really takes is being willing to forget the rules a little and let yourself slip back into the mindset of playing fun time pretendy games.

derfenrirwolv
2010-08-17, 11:00 PM
Ok, rule number 1

Roll and role playing are NOT opposing ends of the spectrum. There's no reason you can't do both. Role playing does not mean you suddenly forget how to think tactically.

What you have to do is think about your character in ways BESIDES his stats. What his background. Why is he ad adventurer? What would he be doing if he wasn't a (insert class here) Whats his motivation mr deville?

From there you move on to how would a person with thie background and personality interact with the situation in front of him. Two fighters can have the exact same stats, but one can rush in and charge for the quick kill and the other can hang back for the full attack.. its a matter of personality.

bloodtide
2010-08-17, 11:28 PM
1.Pick someone to copy. It can be a fictional character or a real person, but it should be someone you know very well. Then just make your character 'them'. For example, the average grandpa makes a good wizard. It normally works best if you don't tell everyone who your character is based on too. Then you just need to say whatever the person you picked would say.

2.Write down some stuff to say. Think of a bunch of things your character can say or talk about and write them down. If you can't think of anything, then just barrow stuff. A book or a TV show works just fine. Write down anything that might be interesting. And make sure you modify it to D&D.

3.Pick a character in the group. Then be 'best friends' or 'best enemies' with that person. You see this trick all the time in fiction. To give a character something to do, they argue and bicker with another character...often to great comical effect. The same works for best friends. This gives you something to do and someone to role-play with.

4.Try Overreacting with over the top drama. When ever anything social happens in the game, give some sort of reaction. Never, ever just sit there. Always do something, no matter how small. In general it's easy to do over the top drama, as it's so crazy.

5.Write a little story about your character, or at least make a list. You want to get down on paper the characters likes, dislikes, what he hates, what he loves and so forth. In general, it's best if you make the character 'just like you', but translated into D&D. For example, if you like rock music...then your character likes 'dwarven rock music(with real rocks).

darkpuppy
2010-08-17, 11:37 PM
Y'wanna know what really works well? the coat hanger concept is a good one, but basic'ly, character is something you slip into slowly. Likes and dislikes are a good start, stereotypes a good start for the untrained "thesp" ("I'm a dwarf, I like beer!") ... but the biggest problem is always that, when you're trying to play in character, you're trying to think like someone else... and there, it's best to start off simple. My favourite example of this came from KODT, where there was a regular section in the mag talking about past characters and what made them great. One of my favourites was this barbarian dude. Yes, he was a stereotypical barbarian, but, because he was a stereotypical barbarian, he acted in a way that moved the plot in ways that the rest of the group (tactical minded types) couldn't. He bashed down doors while the rest of the party discussed what to do, he attacked a wizard because the player had decided, all of a sudden that a wizard had killed his father, and he hated wizards, and basically, was a stubborn and contrary cuss. But it was the start of that guy's character roleplaying.

EDIT: Oddly, most of the ex-stat-players in my past groups have found their way to good character roleplaying this way too... gawd, I still fondly remember the Axenshield twins... first discovered arguing over a map neither could read in the middle of the Anauroch Desert, and the only characters I've met who not only survived the "gravity sphere of death", but wanted to go again so as to fly through another 6 or 7 kuo-toa with their increased velocity and spikey armour... ahhh, good times!

Tyndmyr
2010-08-18, 12:10 AM
Think about your character a bit. What would he want? What has he done? Who does he know?

Figure out how he fits together as a person. Even if your list is...well, he's a wizard, so 'e's after more magical power, he's killed a lot of people, and pretty much only knows the party....you've gotten started.

Now, take each of those answers and ask "Why?". Write down those answers. Repeat until you have all the character you can handle.

For actual roleplaying, think on the topic of movies. If this were a movie, and this character was in it, what would he do? If there are multiple possibilities(usually are), select among them based on what moves things forward. It's usually a good action.

arrowhen
2010-08-18, 12:33 AM
Something I find myself doing all the time when trying to get a handle on one of my characters' personalities is to take some random, minor situation from my daily life and think about how that character would have reacted differently than I actually did.

Some jerk cut in front of me in line at the coffee shop? I just rolled my eyes and went back to checking mail on my phone, but what would Thaggda Blood-On-Snow do?

Note that it's best to use this technique of getting into your character's head after you've already dealt with the real-world situation. Especially if their response would be something like, "beat the jerk to a bloody pulp then throw his unconscious body through the nearest window."

Tinydwarfman
2010-08-18, 01:17 AM
Something I find myself doing all the time when trying to get a handle on one of my characters' personalities is to take some random, minor situation from my daily life and think about how that character would have reacted differently than I actually did.

Some jerk cut in front of me in line at the coffee shop? I just rolled my eyes and went back to checking mail on my phone, but what would Thaggda Blood-On-Snow do?

Note that it's best to use this technique of getting into your character's head after you've already dealt with the real-world situation. Especially if their response would be something like, "beat the jerk to a bloody pulp then throw his unconscious body through the nearest window."

Nah, all my current characters are casters, so the other people in line would just look at me like I was crazy. :smalltongue:

Wubs
2010-08-18, 01:53 AM
I'd say its especially important, least for me, to try and connect to other PCs in the game since they are the constant besides a GM most of the time. The other thing is to be, well, silly or over the top characters for me that are in line with what I believe or do in real life. At the end of the day, trying to mimic someone you're not can be done but can also provide ulcers.

As for fleshing out backgrounds, you can try the Ten minute background.

Step 1: (write five things about your character’s concept and background, five things that you think are the most essential parts of your character. You don’t have to stop at five, if you like…this is just a minimum.)

Step 2: (List two goals for the character that you, as a player, think would be cool to see accomplished in-game. During any session in which you take positive action to achieve that goal, I will award you an action point that can only be used in scenes furthering that goal. These Action Points are separate from the action points you gain by resting and reaching milestones. You can change goals later, though you lose all the accumulated Action Points for the goal you abandoned.)

Step 3: (List two secrets about your character. One is a secret the character knows, one is a secret that involves him but that he is not actually aware of yet. This will help me in creating plots that center around your character. I will also be creating a third secret which you as a player will not be aware of, so expect some surprises!)

Step 4: (Describe three people that are tied to the character though blood, romance or honor. Two of them are friendly to the character, one is hostile. All can do something useful for you, if you can get the situations to line up. If you like, you can include an enemy of yours here as well, so I have an instant NPC nemesis to throw at you.)

Step 5: (Describe three memories that your character has. They don't have to be elaborate, but they should provide some context and flavor.)

Zaq
2010-08-18, 02:53 AM
In your mind, what, precisely, is the difference?

chaotoroboto
2010-08-18, 03:57 AM
Another option is to have a default mode: My halfling is from a tribe of desert cannibals, so whenever he doesn't know what to do socially, he starts talking about eating people, or slitting them open from throat to groin to decay in the sun. He means it as a compliment, it starts fights, the action rolls on.

Haarkla
2010-08-18, 04:48 AM
I specifically play 3.5, but this could apply to any game system.

I suck at role playing. I love throwing the dice in combat, and I can fumble my way through a session, but I am far from a good role player. I cannot act, am not very quick on my feet (always think of the good thing to say about 2 minutes late), and have a horrible memory for lines and such.

Don't get me wrong here, I love the way our games go, but I find myself struggling a bit during the social scenes, or if our DM says "What do you do", I usually sit there and drool for a bit(In Game), then go with another player.

Does anyone have any tips that I can use to make my games more full and enjoyable? Or on how to make it easier for me to Role play?

Thank you
Imagine what you would do if you were in your characters situation, with his capabilities, and do it.

It is often best to play a character with similar mental statistics and alignment as yourself in real life.

bartman
2010-08-19, 10:14 PM
Hmm, there's some really good ideas here, you guys have given me a lot to think about. Now i just gotta wait and see how it all pans out if and when we ever get back into gaming (few weeks feels like forever)

In your mind, what, precisely, is the difference?
I know there is not a big huge difference in roll vs role player, i just merely used those terms to try and express myself clearly. In my mind, a roll player is there simply to roll the dice and fight the baddies, where a role player will actively engage the NPC's, and have a fluid conversation without a lot of "Umms" and "Ahhs"

Anyways, thank you for the advice, and we shall see how things go