PDA

View Full Version : Walker in the Waste, or F'n salt mummies, how do they work?

The Antigamer
2010-08-17, 11:57 PM
So I really want to explore the Walker in the Waste PrC, it has a great combination of flavor and power, and interesting synergy possibilities. But I am confused by some details, however, and searching the forum has not answered these questions. So I put these questions to the playground:

1) Can a Walker in the Waste create as many salt mummies as he wants, at no cost, so long as he has dead bodies? That seems too overpowered, but I can't find anywhere the information about making one.

2) Do the salt mummies automatically obey the WitW, or does he have to spend turn/rebuke attempts to control them?

3) Sand golems are under the control of the WitW that created them whether they wear the controlling amulet or not, yes?

4) About becoming a Dry Lich: Does a WitW need craft wondrous item to make the jars? Can he have someone else make them, or help him make them?

5) If the WitW is a Necropolitan, does dry lich still get applied?

6)What is the lowest point of entry for the WitW? I remember something involving Cloistered Cleric, Magical Training, and Precocious Apprentice, and something about Dread Necromancer and Arcane Disciple, but I think the former doesn't work because those feats are for arcane casters, and the latter doesn't work because Arcane Disciples cast the domain spells as arcane spells, not divine, but I saw enough people mentioning it that I question my questioning.

7) Any builds people have enjoyed, or think look interesting/cool?

Thanks for answering some or all!

Edit: D'oh, two number 5's :smallredface:

NelKor
2010-08-18, 12:07 AM
1.Yes Or atleast that's what my GM's always ruled.
2. Yes i assume so, since it doesn't specify otherwise and it would be silly to create undead that wouldn't serve you.
3.Yes, The Sand Golem always obeys the original.
4. Not sure if you can. I assume you do, since you do for a standard lich.
5. No you have to be a humanoid and living.
5.You can get in at 3, By just being a standard cleric and grabbing Sand and Thirst Domains and not being devoted to a god.
6. I've only done a standard necromantic inclined cleric.

Shadowleaf
2010-08-18, 12:12 AM
5. No you have to be a humanoid and living.How do you figure, exactly? I don't see any requirements of the kind. You could be a Dry Lich Lich, if you wanted. Wait, "Any Living Creature". Doesn't specify Humanoid, though.

Also, to answer 4: He has to be able to make the jars himself, according to the book. I guess it's implied you can't have help, and you have to have the Craft Wonderous Item feat.

NelKor
2010-08-18, 12:13 AM
How do you figure, exactly? I don't see any requirements of the kind. You could be a Dry Lich Lich, if you wanted.

Listed on the Dry Lich template, which i'm assuming unless the class says otherwise you still have to abide by the requirements.

EDIT: My bad, It's living creature. thought it was humanoid to, my apologies.

Shadowleaf
2010-08-18, 12:15 AM
Listed on the Dry Lich template, which i'm assuming unless the class says otherwise you still have to abide by the requirements.

EDIT: My bad, It's living creature. thought it was humanoid to, my apologies.I ninja-edited.
Edit: And now you did so too. :smallbiggrin:

The Sere Rite, and the creation of the jars, is specified on page 157.

The Antigamer
2010-08-18, 12:16 AM

EDIT: My bad, It's living creature. thought it was humanoid to, my apologies.

I figured it might work kind've like evolved undead, but yeah, if the template says living, has to be living, unless a DM houserules it.

Maerok
2010-08-18, 12:22 AM
Another question is how many salt mummies you can make. I did the customer service thing and they were able to give me an answer but that was a long time ago.

Popertop
2010-08-18, 12:44 AM
1.Yes Or atleast that's what my GM's always ruled.
2. Yes i assume so, since it doesn't specify otherwise and it would be silly to create undead that wouldn't serve you.
3.Yes, The Sand Golem always obeys the original.
4. Not sure if you can. I assume you do, since you do for a standard lich.
5. No you have to be a humanoid and living.
5.You can get in at 3, By just being a standard cleric and grabbing Sand and Thirst Domains and not being devoted to a god.
6. I've only done a standard necromantic inclined cleric.

Wait, I thought you had to be devoted to a god to be a cleric

Shadowleaf
2010-08-18, 12:46 AM
You can worship an ideal, like Death, Love, The Feeling You Get From New Car Smell, etc.

If a cleric is not devoted to a particular deity, he still selects two domains to represent his spiritual inclinations and abilities. The restriction on alignment domains still applies.

awa
2010-08-18, 12:47 AM
technically you do not you can worship an ideal unless your in forgotten realms

The Antigamer
2010-08-18, 12:48 AM

Nope, clerics can be devoted to elements, causes, or ideas.

I once played an atheist cleric. He didn't believe in Gods as divine beings so much that he actually gained spells from that belief. My DM and I altered the Ur-Priest PrC for him to take too, and the reason was that his very existence of disbelieving in Gods actually stole some of their power to give to him. The DM played it the Godly abilities were unable to touch him because of the strength of his belief. Good times.

Shadowleaf
2010-08-18, 12:48 AM
Don't see why it's "technically". It's 100% allowed - and intended. It's about as "techincally" true as a Rogue "technically" has Sneak Attack. :smallwink:

drakir_nosslin
2010-08-18, 12:56 AM

Actually, I think it's the opposite. In FR a cleric have to worship a god, and cannot just be devoted to an ideal. But it was a long time since I read the FR:CS now, so I might be wrong.

Shadowleaf
2010-08-18, 01:01 AM
Actually, I think it's the opposite. In FR a cleric have to worship a god, and cannot just be devoted to an ideal. But it was a long time since I read the FR:CS now, so I might be wrong.
That's what he's saying. "Technically, you can worship an ideal, unless you are in Forgotten Realms."

Tinydwarfman
2010-08-18, 01:05 AM
That's what he's saying. "Technically, you can worship an ideal, unless you are in Forgotten Realms."

And I'm pretty sure there was this little paragraph in Faiths and Pantheons or something that dealt with non-theist clerics in FR. The only setting where you can't be devoted to an ideal is the one where your DM says "no".

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-08-18, 01:17 AM
Earliest entry is ECL2: Cleric 1 / WitW 10. I have a handbook on this stuff at BG

The Antigamer
2010-08-18, 01:32 AM
Earliest entry is ECL2: Cleric 1 / WitW 10. I have a handbook on this stuff at BG

How would that work? Link to said handbook? Sorry, in sig.

Alleran
2010-08-18, 01:43 AM
And I'm pretty sure there was this little paragraph in Faiths and Pantheons or something that dealt with non-theist clerics in FR. The only setting where you can't be devoted to an ideal is the one where your DM says "no".
It's been said that canonically in FR, you are welcome to think you're worshipping an ideal, but in reality it's a god answering your prayers and granting you spells (generally whichever one best matches the ideal you pick). You just don't know you're getting power from a god.

And you go to the Wall when you die anyway, unless a) the god reveals himself to you and you choose to start worshipping him (it's either that or you're False by then...) or b) he doesn't reveal himself to you, but intercedes with Kelemvor when you're being judged (otherwise, you're going to the Wall as Faithless).

The Antigamer
2010-08-18, 01:49 AM

Nope, I'm not seeing how this would work, because Precocious Apprentice gives an arcane spell, not divine.

crazedloon
2010-08-18, 01:53 AM
mad faith with mild depravity gives you a 2nd level spell slot (severe can give you a 3rd level slot) which can be used to cast the proper spells

The Antigamer
2010-08-18, 02:23 AM
mad faith with mild depravity gives you a 2nd level spell slot (severe can give you a 3rd level slot) which can be used to cast the proper spells

Hmmm, yes, that would work, if you took Sand and Thirst as your domains. A potential start then, but not many DMs use Taint.

Edit: Still very interested in the other questions, especially regarding salt mummies.

The Antigamer
2010-08-18, 02:51 AM
Thought of another question: is the dessication damage dealt by dessicating touch only curable by drinking water? If so, does the act of drinking cure all of the damage, some of it, or none of it, simply now allowing it to be healed normally?

NelKor
2010-08-18, 03:24 AM
I think You have to manually heal it, although some water may help it's under dessication in Sandstorm, also should be noted that you fatigue? or exhaust targets when you do Dessication.

The Antigamer
2010-08-18, 03:29 AM
I think You have to manually heal it, although some water may help it's under dessication in Sandstorm, also should be noted that you fatigue? or exhaust targets when you do Dessication.

I can't seem to find where it explicitly says that, magical dessication damage on page 15 of Sandstorm doesn't mention it.

Sydonai
2010-08-18, 10:36 AM
It's been said that canonically in FR, you are welcome to think you're worshipping an ideal, but in reality it's a god answering your prayers and granting you spells (generally whichever one best matches the ideal you pick). You just don't know you're getting power from a god.

And you go to the Wall when you die anyway, unless a) the god reveals himself to you and you choose to start worshipping him (it's either that or you're False by then...) or b) he doesn't reveal himself to you, but intercedes with Kelemvor when you're being judged (otherwise, you're going to the Wall as Faithless).

You can Worship an ArchDevil, Demon Lord, or similar entity. That way you go to their domain when you die, if you don't beleive me look up "Sertrous" in the Elder Evils book.

The Antigamer
2010-08-18, 12:00 PM
Now I'm thinking of ways to avoid dying if it rains. Are either of the Drought abilities WitW gets hot enough to prevent rain?

Crazy idea; thirst domain clerics can turn or rebuke oozes. Wasn't there an item somewhere that let you ride around inside an ooze? As a lich, you'd never need to leave the ooze if you didn't want to, so you can simply ride around inside your protective jello cube indefinitely :smallbiggrin:

Keld Denar
2010-08-18, 12:08 PM
2 words...Gelatinous Cube.

The cube gets **** done! (http://rustyandco.com/)

Vizzerdrix
2010-08-18, 02:53 PM
The amulet of Ooze Riding is in A&EG.

Also look into umbrellas, or getting an Effigy critter you can ride in.

Coidzor
2010-08-18, 03:04 PM
@Everyone jabbering about FR: Because Forgotten Realms is the only setting anyone plays 3.5 in. :smallsigh:

The Antigamer
2010-08-18, 03:05 PM
Thanks, I'll look up the amulet when I get home.
What do you mean by effigy critter though?

Vizzerdrix
2010-08-18, 03:30 PM
Complete Arcane has a template caller Effigy. Makes construct critters (Dogs, orcs, dragons, etc). Make an effigy critter that has a mouth big enough to ride in and do it in the rain.

Tyndmyr
2010-08-18, 04:18 PM

Well, if you want to not have powers, and when you die, be plastered onto the wall of souls, where your very essence is tortuously eaten away, then yes, you could take levels in cleric, yet not actually worship a god.

Good luck with that.

Starbuck_II
2010-08-18, 04:30 PM
Well, if you want to not have powers, and when you die, be plastered onto the wall of souls, where your very essence is tortuously eaten away, then yes, you could take levels in cleric, yet not actually worship a god.

Good luck with that.

Don't forget sometimes Demons/devils have attacks on the area and steal people from the wall.
Well, by people I mean trapped souls. And sometimes I mean all the time.
So you might just be used as a means of currency instead of wasting away.

The Antigamer
2010-08-18, 11:00 PM
Ok, so all questions answered satisfactorily (besides builds) except for these:

1) Can a Walker in the Waste create as many salt mummies as he wants, at no cost, so long as he has dead bodies? (So far no rules besides rule 0)

2) Do the salt mummies automatically obey the WitW, or does he have to spend turn/rebuke attempts to control them?

4) About becoming a Dry Lich: Does a WitW need craft wondrous item to make the jars? Can he have someone else make them, or help him make them?

So this is now the alternative title for true, Freakin' Salt Mummies, how do they work?

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-08-18, 11:29 PM
Nope, I'm not seeing how this would work, because Precocious Apprentice gives an arcane spell, not divine.1. Not true. So long as you have that arcane caster level for the prereq, you can gain a 2nd level spell "from a school of magic you have access to"

2. There is more than one way to skin a cat. I can think of three more ways off the top of my head.

3. I'm confident you didn't search. On this board though, I can't blame you.

Zom B
2010-08-18, 11:34 PM
So this is now the alternative title for true, Freakin' Salt Mummies, how do they work?

Love the title.

The Antigamer
2010-08-19, 12:50 AM
1. Not true. So long as you have that arcane caster level for the prereq, you can gain a 2nd level spell "from a school of magic you have access to"

2. There is more than one way to skin a cat. I can think of three more ways off the top of my head.

3. I'm confident you didn't search. On this board though, I can't blame you.

1) See, you said Cleric 1 / WitW 10, I didn't realize you meant arcane caster/cleric 1/witw 10

2) And obviously I could not, hence my query?

3) I did search, not that hard to type "walker waste" into the search bar for roleplaying and browse the resulting threads. The questions I have here I couldn't find real satisfactory answers for, or I saw early-entry cheese I questioned and didn't think worked, like the one involving Magical Training, which gives some 0 level arcane spells that doesn't help the build. Went and double checked, it gives a caster level 1st, allowing Precocious App, and therefore doing it in one level of cleric. /shrug, guess I missed that somehow.

monkey3
2010-08-19, 09:54 AM
I don't know if that will do it!
WitW needs:
" Ability to cast at least three spells of the Sand or Thirst domain as divine spells."

Throwing arcane in there gives you the spells, but does not make them divine. To do that, you'd have to take another feat (Southern Magician) and now you can't do it by 3rd level since you also need Endure Heat and Precocious Apprentice.

Sadly, the fastest way is through Cleric 3 with -1- domain as Sand, and the other domain as whatever. (Your pre-req at 3rd level is satisfied by 2 sand domain spells & Desiccate the 2nd level cleric spell).

Now, since you are only a Cleric for 3 levels, may I interest you in becoming a Cloistered Cleric? You only loose 1 BAB and get 24 skill points. (HP loss is moot since all your hp become d12 at level 13).

The Antigamer
2010-08-19, 05:59 PM
I don't know if that will do it!
WitW needs:
" Ability to cast at least three spells of the Sand or Thirst domain as divine spells."

Throwing arcane in there gives you the spells, but does not make them divine. To do that, you'd have to take another feat (Southern Magician) and now you can't do it by 3rd level since you also need Endure Heat and Precocious Apprentice.

Sadly, the fastest way is through Cleric 3 with -1- domain as Sand, and the other domain as whatever. (Your pre-req at 3rd level is satisfied by 2 sand domain spells & Desiccate the 2nd level cleric spell).

Now, since you are only a Cleric for 3 levels, may I interest you in becoming a Cloistered Cleric? You only loose 1 BAB and get 24 skill points. (HP loss is moot since all your hp become d12 at level 13).

No, Cleric 1 works, with flaws. Magical training gives arcane caster level 1 for Precocious Apprentice, which allows the 2nd level spell to be from any spellcasting class you have, so it's divine. So Sand and Thirst domains, then for precocious spell get the sand 2nd level spell. Bada-boom-bada-bing.

Southern mage doesn't work, a la this (http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ask/20080606a).

But cloistered cleric, yeah, take that.

kyoryu
2010-08-19, 07:21 PM
Love the title.

Clearly, they are powered by magnets.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-08-20, 01:07 AM
1) See, you said Cleric 1 / WitW 10, I didn't realize you meant arcane caster/cleric 1/witw 10Please read. I did not say "wizard 1 / cleric 1 / witw 10" i said "cleric 1 / witw 10" meaning you can enter at ECL20

bg has my prereq handbook. Don't worry you can search many times without silly wait periods on that better board.

on magical training, exactly. remember there are many other ways.