PDA

View Full Version : Minor magic and nonmagical fun

Kaelloric
2010-08-18, 02:03 AM
In our 3.5 campaign, I'm running a sneaky hidey rogue that thinks outside the box.

OOC, I really don't have a lot of fun hacking things to pieces as fast as possible. The stories come in when something unusual or exciting happens. So, here it is.

My rogue has a bunch of hidden spaces, bags of holding, and tons and tons of mundane equipment, and lower level magic items. One of my faves is the tanglefoot bag. With a few of these, I managed to mostly disable a beholder by entangling its head.... it couldn't aim, making the eyestalks mostly ineffective, being they were glued in place. The sheet of cloth thrown over them didn't help it's case either, that being glued on top of them.

Tanglefoot bags, jars of acid, universal solvent and sovereign glue, and big sheets of cloth are all favorites in my book.

So after that little adventure, I am looking for unusual ways to use mundane, or low level magic items to .... annoy, pester, and functionally throw a wrench into the DM's plans and make him pull out whats left of his hair.:smallsmile:

Randel
2010-08-18, 03:24 AM
Sneezing Pepper = Irritate enemies

Tobasco Sauce = really nasty if you get it in somebodies eyes or put it on a blade and stab them with it

Honey + bees = enemies become very uncomfortable

Raw meat kept in a cold container = dinner once you start a fire or something to distract wild dogs with. You can get free meat by hacking off bits of the last monster you killed.

Flour = easy way to expose invisible objects or enemies or make a crude 'smoke bomb'

Booze = a tasty drink, something to kill germs with, possible fuel to start a fire with, a bribe for guards, after drinking it you have an empty bottle to put stuff in.

Salt = a way to mess with oozes

Onions = chop them up into fine pieces and use the tear-inducing fumes as some kind of combat weapon

Garlic = protection from vampires or malnutritian, possible breath attack

Grease, butter or cooking oil = A crude substitute for a Grease spell

Cheese = bait for rodents, heat it up in a pot and use it as a thrown weapon to cause severe burns to whoever it hits since it sticks to their skin.

Coffee = Bonus to avoid the effects of fatigue or the need to sleep

Bananas = distract primates, also used to slip up enemies chasing you

Tomatoes = thrown weapon, also potentially dangerous monsters if you have the magic to animate them, cover yourself in tomato paste and you may look more wounded than you are and thus trick enemies.

Live chicken = way to potentially set off traps, also food

Pie = also a thrown weapon, if divided by its circumference becomes an its own radius... if reassembled becomes an irrational number... use it to Logic Bomb intelligent foes.

Cake = a tasty dessert that provides morale bonuses after a victory, can be used to hide weapons or tools inside, under rare circumstances can also be used to hide people, may confuse illusion detectors.

The Antigamer
2010-08-18, 03:49 AM
Shax's Indispensable Haversack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101)

Kaelloric
2010-08-18, 02:00 PM
Sneezing Pepper = Irritate enemies

Tobasco Sauce = really nasty if you get it in somebodies eyes or put it on a blade and stab them with it

Come now. I'm looking for some serious answers to an honest question.

Thank you for the haversack link. that will be useful.

Mr. Anon Omys
2010-08-19, 08:33 AM
A broom, towel, armchair, vase, icetray, and as much firewood as you can. My elf soceror has a cape with as much extradimensional space as he needs, and annoys the dm greatly by pulling these sorts of things out while camping in the wilderness.

Greenish
2010-08-19, 08:49 AM
Depending on the interpretation, vials of acid can be used for all kinds of amusing things, such as melting locks.

Riding dogs are dirt cheap for their combat prowess. At the lower levels Handle Animal is easily one of the most powerful things in the game.

Tetrasodium
2010-08-19, 09:02 AM
I've used the flour example in a game before... granted invisibility probably isn't a huge thing if you took down a beholder, but at low levels it's great.

Eldariel
2010-08-19, 09:22 AM
We've used nuts from our ratios (thrown in arcs) to pinpoint air elementals before. Works rather well; one tosses a bunch of nuts, rest hit the spot where they took up a breeze/didn't fly through.

thompur
2010-08-19, 09:36 AM
Fighting pirates on a beach at night. Cast a Light spell on the molasses in a jar. throw the jar at the leader. It breaks, covering the leader in glowing goo. My rogue snipes from 30' away, getting SA damage every shot. And they can't see us.

Kaelloric
2010-08-20, 12:41 AM
I have used a couple bottles of acid and an alchemy kit to set up a slow drip of acid onto a single link holding a portcullis up. some time later when the link breaks, portcullis falls, setting up a distraction, along with a nicely balanced thunderstone on top of the portcullis... Sweet little distraction while we snuck inside past too many guards....

Wonton
2010-08-20, 01:19 AM
Are you using the Belt of Hidden Pouches? Cause I love that item, I had one on one of my Rogues. I had different items in each and every pocket, and I even had a reference system written up telling me what was in which pocket. Sadly, I don't have access to that char sheet at the moment, but here's some stuff I remember:

Acid, Alchemist's Fire, Long-Burning Alchemist's Fire (I think that's what it's called)
Bell (stuffed with parchment)
Chain, 25 ft
Chalk of 10 different colours
Fishhook (wrapped in parchment - puncturing extra-dimensional spaces is bad)
2 Empty Flasks, for any mysterious liquids I might come by (I once made a killing selling off Gargantuan Spider poison this way)
5 Empty Vials, same reason
Ink (3 or 4 colours), Inkpen
Average lock
MW Manacles
Mirror
Paper, Parchment (I'm probably the only person in the world who puts ranks into Forgery :smallwink:)
Clearwater Tablets, Trail Bars (from Complete Scoundrel)
Tindertwigs
Drow Poison (unless you can afford better)

My philosophy has always been "get a little of everything, so that you can improvise uses on the spot", rather than buying specific things and planning to use them.

Thiyr
2010-08-20, 04:17 AM
Don't panic. Carry a towel. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technology_in_The_Hitchhiker%27s_Guide_to_the_Gala xy#Towels)

(This can be seen, understandably, as a bit lacking when you have more resources you could get. The above has good advice, get a bit of everything. I'd like to add in Alchemist's mercy from Dragon Compendium, as a garunteed hangover cure is always worthwhile. In fact, dragon compendium has a lot of nice stuff in their alchemical items section, as well as a few good cheap poisons. ooo, idea. Need someone dead but don't want to get caught? Get a towel wet, turn it into a rat tail, and tip it in contact poison. Lure them to public baths or a pool of some sort, where such activity isn't too out of place, and have him get hit "accidentally". Pretend to be drunk to make the disguise complete.)