PDA

View Full Version : Minotaur-specific weapons/armor 3.5

Adamaro
2010-08-18, 03:59 AM
In our monster campaign (savage species) we have a player, who was missing a couple of sessions (was on wacation) and is playing a minotaur. He will be returning as a minotaur who was on a minotaur-related pilgrimage with his kind. As he returns, I would like for him to bring along some minotaur-specific weapons and/or armor, gadgets, items (he is lvl 5) made especially for his kind.

Being large, I was thinking large spiked chain, but this is not very mino-specific.

Any ideas are most welcome.

Hirax
2010-08-18, 04:03 AM
The Greathorn Minotaur (page 100 MM4) has a weapon specific it to it. You could let him have it assuming he took exotic weapon proficiency for it.

AslanCross
2010-08-18, 04:47 AM
The Greathorn Minotaur (page 100 MM4) has a weapon specific it to it. You could let him have it assuming he took exotic weapon proficiency for it.

This, pretty much. 19-20 crit range; x4 multiplier.

hamishspence
2010-08-18, 04:52 AM
Doesn't it have two different versions- the version in the monster statblock, and the version in the Weapon sidebar?

AslanCross
2010-08-18, 05:01 AM
Doesn't it have two different versions- the version in the monster statblock, and the version in the Weapon sidebar?

Nope; the two versions are the one in Monster Manual IV (which appears the same in the sidebar and in the minotaur statblock) and the Goliath Greathammer in Races of Stone (which is weaker). There was never any errata to the MMIV version, so some consider the two to be mutually exclusive.

Scarey Nerd
2010-08-18, 05:37 AM
Nope; the two versions are the one in Monster Manual IV (which appears the same in the sidebar and in the minotaur statblock) and the Goliath Greathammer in Races of Stone (which is weaker). There was never any errata to the MMIV version, so some consider the two to be mutually exclusive.

Errm, in the stat block it says it does 3d6, would could be because it's Large, though I would have thought it would then do 2d8, but in the sidebar it says 1d12 for medium, again for large one would assume it goes up to 2d8 or something.

RandomLunatic
2010-08-18, 11:03 AM
1d12 scales up to 3d6.

Scarey Nerd
2010-08-18, 11:05 AM
1d12 scales up to 3d6.

WOW, that's good! So that means it's 3d6+whatever, 19-20/x4 crit.

Use this :smallbiggrin:

Popertop
2010-08-18, 11:36 AM
It's the same as a greatsword/greataxe

GS 2d6 -> 3d6 -> 4d6 -> 6d6 -> 8d6
GH 1d12 -> 3d6 -> 4d6 -> 6d6 -> 8d6

although I don't really see the point, I would rather have at least a little differentiation

LibraryOgre
2010-08-18, 11:41 AM
If you can get a hold of it, the 2e Tales of the Lance boxed set had some neat minotaur specific weapons. I'm at work right now, so I can't quote you any, unfortunately. You might also look at some 2e Dark Sun sources... lots of neat weapons that you can call "minotaur specific".

hamishspence
2010-08-18, 12:12 PM

I've checked- even solely in the MMIV, the weapon in the monster statblock says "x4" whereas in the weapon entry, it says "19-20/x4"

The weapon does d12 damage at medium size, and in the PHB, the normal damage for a Large version of a d12 damage weapon, is 3d6- so that's right.

Scarey Nerd
2010-08-18, 12:23 PM
I've checked- even solely in the MMIV, the weapon in the monster statblock says "x4" whereas in the weapon entry, it says "19-20/x4"

The weapon does d12 damage at medium size, and in the PHB, the normal damage for a Large version of a d12 damage weapon, is 3d6- so that's right.

Would that make it one of the most, if not the most damaging non-magical weapons?

hamishspence
2010-08-18, 12:48 PM
The Fullblade in 3.0 was an Exotic two-handed weapon that could be wielded by Medium creatures and did 2d8 damage (crit 19-20/x2)

It could also be wielded by Large creatures as a Martial two-handed weapon, or an Exotic 1-handed weapon.

Basically, it was a Large bastard sword with a special rule allowing Medium creatures to use it.

Vizzerdrix
2010-08-18, 02:43 PM
What about this. Armor that 1/day has some sort of hypnotic/maze related effect on someone. It could be a finely etched breastplate covered entirely in a maze design.

Or a set of horn guards that allow him to deal extra damage on a gore attack and that can be enchanted.

Or an axe that grants a bonus on saves vs. fear.