PDA

View Full Version : characters who are your opposite

grimbold
2010-08-18, 05:50 AM
does anybody else enjoy playing characters who are the opposite of their peronality?
for example, i enjoy astrophysics and math, and when i read fantasy books i always think that the wizards and elves are the coolest, however when i play dnd i always like to play half orc barbarians with an intelligence below 5 and who is super obnoxious. The type of person i typically would not be very fond of.
does anybody else do this?

WalkingTarget
2010-08-18, 08:23 AM
Well, I kind of do both.

A lot of my characters have tended to have a similar personality to my own, even if their specialties/interests aren't. This happened to such an extent that my college gaming group referred to this personality as [my name]-in-a-hat since it was basically me with whatever trappings were suitable for the game (Deadlands, Exalted, etc).

Then there are times when I play out of type (which usually means an aggressive/violent/impulsive type: Sabbat Gangrel in an V:tM game, Shifter Barbarian/Weretouched-master in Eberron) it tended to throw the group off a bit.

Dr.Epic
2010-08-18, 08:37 AM
All characters have traits that the person playing them doesn't have.

grimbold
2010-08-18, 09:02 AM
dr. epic, what i meant was that, i have friends who like to model characters afer themselves, similar looks, personalities and abilities, i personally do the opposite and i was curious if anybody else did that as well

Eldariel
2010-08-18, 09:05 AM
I try to ignore myself and design a character I'd find interesting to play and compelling to play with. Sometimes some traits overlap with me, sometimes they contradict me; I believe I can pull both off quite believably.

dsmiles
2010-08-18, 09:08 AM
My characters are all interested in taking over the world in some way (power, finance, whatever). Making them all exactly the same as opposite of me.

Grogmir
2010-08-18, 09:13 AM
I agree with the OP completely.

Its very strange but the others in my group play people kinda like themselves, or how they would like to be.

The powergamer is always 'in touch with the gods & find IC reasons to snaffle all the parties treasure'

The Bi Polar guys plays disagreeable types, dark characters.

The Big Brash Northerner, is normally a Barbarian type.

My Wife 'happy characters such as Bards or a cleric of Chaav'

While I play characters that are different from me, I'm quite cerebal, shy and don't like being confrontational. therefore I love playing Dwarves! Smash the door in and lets go hack something with an axe!!! CHARRRRGE! :smallsmile:

Dusk Eclipse
2010-08-18, 09:13 AM
Talking about D&D 3.5 since it is the game I play the most

Mostly in a abilities, I am big and somewhat clumsy on RL and I tend to play DEX based characters, and for some unknown reason to me I tend to be the only sane man in both real life and D&D

valadil
2010-08-18, 09:17 AM
Opposite? No, that's too far.

I like to play characters who are an arm's length from myself. Any farther and I can't relate to them. Closer than that and I might as well not be roleplaying.

I'll play the opposite of some traits though. Me without a sense of humor or any wit to speak of. There's still something to relate to, but the character is different enough that I still find it interesting.

Evard
2010-08-18, 09:44 AM
I love playing characters that I can't relate to...I once played a character who was basically a Paladin Glenn Beck XD

He died rather quickly... From "friendly" fire when he was telling the queen that she was an abomination to the gods cause she was an elf.....