PDA

View Full Version : TGGWAT Round 7: Gokapa "Swifthunter" Ginol Vs Cragmar Thundershot

nefele
2010-08-18, 07:04 AM
Gokapa "Swifthunter" Ginol Vs Cragmar Thundershot

You are in your quarters, resting, when the Architect's disembodied voice, soft and androgynous, rings inside your heads.

Gokapa, Cragmar. You have been chosen to fight. Prepare yourselves.

Six seconds later, you are teleported to the Arena (http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0As43YDXYJ8pFdEwxd2FseWdOSkYwa3dOZWtULWM1W Wc&hl=en&authkey=COHCrMwB).

The grass is green, the sun shines bright, and the crowd is cheering wildly outside the Walls of Force. The duel begins.

THE PROCEDURE

Part I (how to begin) :
Agree to play with an opponent OR ask the DM to match you up randomly.
Roll and find out in which Arena you'll play. Study the map.
You have a turn to prepare (one swift and one full-round action OR one swift, one move and one standard action). You don't know yet what your opponent looks like.
You are teleported to a random square of the Arena. (DM rolls secretly.) If you have a mount and you didn't mount it during the prep round, it's on an adjacent square. (If you did mount it, it's obviously between your legs.) If you have an animal companion, it's on an adjacent square. If you have a familiar, or any other sidekick, it's nowhere to be found.
Roll initiative. If both contestants are aware of each other, begin round 1. If a contestant is not aware of his or her opponent, a surprise round applies as normal.

Special : Martial Adepts must choose a default stance and maneuver selection. The stance is considered active and the maneuvers are considered readied even before the preparation round. They can change their selection in between fights (informing the DM), but they must do so BEFORE learning where and with whom they'll fight next. From that moment on, they need to spend actions (swift for a new stance, full-round for Adaptive Style) to change anything.

Part II (DM-supervised duels) :
The DM informs you whether there is Line of Sight.
The first time your opponent becomes aware of you, you must describe your appearance in reasonable detail, as it would seem to an observer with eyes and nothing else (no true seeing, no blindsight etc). If your opponent has any such abilities, it's the DM's job to provide the correct description in secret.
All your rolls will be made inside spoiler tags. Keep private the results that would not be perceived by your opponent (Hide/Move Silently, Spot/Listen, Sense Motive, Knowledge, Martial lore, saves etc). Make public the results that would (attack/damage, grapple/disarm/trip etc). For damage in particular, provide a break-down: how much is Power attack, how much is precision damage, how much is energy damage, whether it's slashing/piercing/bludgeoning, whether it's steel/cold iron/adamantine, etc.
Every time you post an action (assuming you are visible at the time), you must describe it in reasonable detail. If you charge or tumble, you must say so explicitly. Provide coordinates for your exact movement. If you don't know whether you are visible or not, put everything inside spoiler tags, and it's the DM's job to tell your opponent what he sees.
If you need your opponent to roll a save or opposing check, ask him to do so but don't give him the DC. It's the DM's job to tell him what happens if he fails.
Make the DM's job easier: Every time you roll, provide a break-down for all modifiers, including type. E.g., "I attack with -5 from Power Attack, +2 insight from Knowledge Devotion, +7 sacred from Law Devotion, +3 competence from Cunning Insight." Also, always include spoiler tags with your stat block, maneuvers left, and anything else you find appropriate.

Part III (honor system) :
If the DM's absent, you know what to do. Takes out the mystery, but admittedly it's faster...

Gokapa :
Position: K-15.
LoS: You cannot see Cragmar

Cragmar :
Position: V-29.
LoS: You cannot see Gokapa.

Roll initiative.

playswithfire
2010-08-18, 07:24 AM
Initiative 21

[roll0]

Thalnawr
2010-08-18, 07:37 AM
Prep and Initiative
The only prep I'm taking is readying my greatbow.
Initiative: [roll0] (modifiers include +4 for Improved Initiative, +2 for Quick Reconnoiter, +5 for Dexterity, and +2 for Battle Fortitude)

Initiative=33

Thalnawr
2010-08-18, 07:58 AM
Cragmar's Actions, Round 1
Movement: From V29>W29>X29>Y29>Z29>Climb to top of AA29
Climb Check: Autopassed due to +26 total Climb skill
Continuing Movement to AB29>AC28>AD27>AE27>AF26
Final Square: AF26 (please check and make sure that's not over 60 feet, I just woke up, so my brain is a little fuzzy)
Active Spot: [roll0]
Active Listen: [roll1]
Standard: Waiting on LoS check, but if I see a target, here's the attack roll info ahead of time, in case it's needed.
Attack: [roll2] (+5 for Dex, +14 for BaB, +2 Competence, +2 Enhancement) (add +1 Point Blank if somehow the target is within 30 feet)
Damage Roll: [roll3] (+8 for Strength, +2 for Enhancement, +1 Competence, +5 Collision) (add +1 Point Blank if within 30 feet) (Piercing Damage)
Weapon Crystal Acid Damage: [roll4]
Skirmish: (if within 30 feet, doubtful) [roll5] (Precision Damage)

As a final note, I will declare my Dodge vs the target if I see him, otherwise I'll wait till I see him.

Awaiting LoS call. If you're seen, more is incoming.

nefele
2010-08-18, 08:11 AM
Cragmar:
No LoS, but you are on AC 28 at the end of your first move action.

You should also count the vertical movement, which is 20 ft: 10 ft distance at half speed for accelerated climbing (you pass automatically). Without accelerated climbing it would be one-quarter speed.

You have one more move (or standard) action from there.

Thalnawr
2010-08-18, 08:24 AM
For DM
Continuing movement: From AC28>AD27>AE27>AF26>AG25>Tumble down to AH24 to negate fall damage (Autopass)>AH23>AH22>AH21>AH20>AH19
End Square=AH19 (Please set me back a square or three if I miscounted diagonals)

Cragmar's Turn Ends.

Thalnawr
2010-08-18, 08:27 AM
Ugh, one last thing
For DM
Reactive Spot/Listen, so I'm not blindsided.
Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [Roll]1d20+20[Roll]

Cragmar's turn is over, yes...

Thalnawr
2010-08-18, 08:30 AM
Botched Roll-Code, For DM
Gah...
Listen: [roll0]

nefele
2010-08-18, 08:35 AM
Line of Sight established. Cragmar is moving north, and the two Goliaths now stare at each other from afar. Say "hi!"

Cragmar: AH-19
Gokapa: K-15

ROUND 1, Gokapa's turn

playswithfire
2010-08-18, 08:55 AM
Gokapa

Assuming that Thundershot means projectiles, Gokapa tries to advance while staying covered. He is last seen ducking into the crevice at R19.

DM

Double move to R19, ignoring the double move cost of the green squares due to Step of the Wind stance

nefele
2010-08-18, 09:10 AM
ROUND 2, Cragmar's turn

Cragmar :
Gokapa is a Goliath like you, unarmed and unarmored.

Gokapa
Cragmar is a Goliath like you, wearing a breastplate and wielding a greatbow.

Thalnawr
2010-08-18, 09:27 AM
Projectiles would be correct. You see another goliath, standing by a small cliff, holding a perfectly normal sized (in your eyes anyway) greatbow, the hilt of a greatsword of similiar size pokes up from a scabbard on his back.

Cragmar's Actions, Round 2
Movement: From AH19>AG18>AG17>AG16>AG15>AG14>AG13>AG12>AG11>Climb to AG10 (Autopass)
Final Square: AG10
Active Spot: [roll0]
Standard: Will Shoot if I see the enemy. Attack Roll: [roll1] (+5 for Dex, +14 for BaB, +2 Competence, +2 Enhancement)
Damage: [roll2] (+8 for Strength, +2 for Enhancement, +1 Competence, +5 Collision) (Piercing Damage)
Weapon Crystal Acid Damage:[roll3]
If I don't see the enemy, I will end turn.

Cragmar's Turn Ends, more info pending new LoS check.

nefele
2010-08-18, 10:14 AM
LoS established again, though there is cover from the cliffs at Z-13 and S-19.

Cragmar climbs up the cliff at AG-10 and Gokapa is at R-19, ground level. Cragmar shoots an arrow (attack: 40) which hits for 24 piercing damage and 3 acid damage.

Cragmar's turn ends.

playswithfire
2010-08-18, 10:28 AM
Gokapa

Breaking off the arrow shaft, Gokapa smiles and seems to disappear into the shadows.

Swift action for Cloak of Deception, then double move to AA14

if needed
hide [roll0]
move silent [roll1]

nefele
2010-08-18, 10:31 AM
Gokapa cannot be seen.

ROUND 3

Thalnawr
2010-08-18, 10:40 AM
For DM
Reactive Spot/Listen checks.
Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

Edit:Also For DM, Avoiding Double Posts
Resources Available:
Scout's Headband Charges 2/3
Whirling Frenzy Uses 2/3
Arrows 42/50 in quiver, more in haversack if necessary.

nefele
2010-08-18, 10:44 AM
Cragmar:
At the beginning of your turn, you can see Gokapa hiding at AA14.

EDIT - We can disregard Thalnawr's next post. Something needs to be sorted out.

Thalnawr
2010-08-18, 11:14 AM
Cragmar's Actions, Round 3
The archer attempts to blend into the surrounding cliffside and fade into the surrounding terrain, adjusting his camouflaged cloak.

For DM
Hide in Plain Sight: [roll0]
Move Silently: [roll1]
Movement: From AG10>AG9>AG8>AG7>AG6>AG5>AF4>AE4>AD4>AC4>AB4>AA3
Balance Check (If Needed) [roll2]
Active Spot: [roll3]
Active Listen: [roll4]
Standard: If I have a visible target, Attack Roll: [roll5] (+5 for Dex, +14 for BaB, +2 Competence, +2 Enhancement)
Damage Roll: [roll6] (+8 for Strength, +2 for Enhancement, +1 Competence, +5 Collision) (Piercing Damage)
Weapon Crystal Acid Damage:[roll7]
If I do not have a visible target, pass to playswithfire.

Resource update: If I have a target, Arrows = 41/50 in quiver, more in haversack if necessary.

Cragmar's Turn Ends, more info pending new LoS check.

Edit: Retconned due to new tactical data.

nefele
2010-08-18, 11:24 AM
Gokapa:
Here's the thing, Cloak of Deception lasts until the end of your turn. When Cragmar's turn begins, you are simply hiding, without Greater Invisibility.

Cragmar:
OK, at the beginning of your turn (Round 3), you can see Gokapa hiding at AA14. Retcon allowed, though not compulsory. What do you do?

We're still on Cragmar's turn.

Thalnawr
2010-08-18, 11:57 AM
Cragmar's Actions, Round 3
The archer drops from the cliff, moving towards the south. as he's moving, he fires 3 arrows at point blank range. He ends up stopping in AG22

For DM
Movement: Tumble to negate fall damage (autopass)
From AG10>AG11>AG12>AG13>AG14>MULTISHOT EVENT>AG15>AG16>AG17>AG18>AG19>AG20>AG21>AG22
Standard Action: Multishot Attack Roll [roll0] (+5 for Dex, +14 for BaB, +2 Competence, +2 Enhancement, +1 for Point Blank Shot, -6 for Multi-Shotting 3 arrows)
Arrow1 Damage: [roll1] (+8 for Strength, +2 for Enhancement, +1 Competence, +5 Collision, +1 Point Blank Shot) (Piercing Damage)
Weapon Crystal Acid Damage:[roll2]
Arrow2 Damage: [roll3] (+8 for Strength, +2 for Enhancement, +1 Competence, +5 Collision, +1 Point Blank Shot) (Piercing Damage)
Weapon Crystal Acid Damage:[roll4]
Arrow3 Damage: [roll5] (+8 for Strength, +2 for Enhancement, +1 Competence, +5 Collision, +1 Point Blank Shot) (Piercing Damage)
Weapon Crystal Acid Damage:[roll6]
Skirmish Damage: [roll7] (Precision)

Cragmar's Turn Ends. (Waiting on effects of Multishot, will post in damage if I hit, and attack result either way)

Edit: Attack Roll Result=21

Edit Editson: For DM
Updated resources: Arrows= 38/50 in quiver.

Another Edit: I moved 1 square too far, I should be in AG21

Edit: (or maybe the piece of cliff I was on disappeared, and it's throwing my count off, so I'm either in AG21 or AG22)

playswithfire
2010-08-18, 03:16 PM
OOC:Sorry for the confusion; I need to re-read things more and go off my memory less.

21 is a miss. I'll go with you're in AG22 since that's what's on the map.

Gokapa
After dodging the arrows, Gokapa gives chase and attempts to grab his opponent.

Bounding Assault to double move to AG21 and attempt to grapple. Gloves activate as immediate action if touch attack succeeds.
Touch [roll0]
Grapple [roll1]
Damage [roll2]
If the touch attack misses and thus the gauntlets don't activate, use a swift action to use dancing mongoose to try again.
Touch [roll3]
Grapple [roll4]
Damage [roll5]

If a touch attack of 33 hits, make a grapple check against 48 or take 22 bludgeoning damage and we're grappling.

Thalnawr
2010-08-18, 03:31 PM
The touch most definitely hits.

For DM, Resisting Grapple
Opposed Grapple Check: [roll0] (+14 BAB, +8 Str, +4 Powerful Build)

More info to come, once we establish whether or not we're grappling.

Edit: And I'm grappled. Edit: Resist Result, since I just realized you could probably discern just how much I'm struggling. 44

For DM, Health Status
HP Remaining: 125/147

nefele
2010-08-18, 04:19 PM
Gokapa and Cragmar are now grappling.

ROUND 3 ends.

Thalnawr
2010-08-18, 04:50 PM
Cragmar's Actions, Round 4
The archer whips himself into a frenzy, attempting to break the grapple and get away. Cragmar not girl goliath! Let go!

For DM
Free action, Rage! 1/3 uses remaining. 7 round duration.
Full-Round: 4 Opposed Grapple checks to attempt to break free. (extra due to whirling frenzy)
First: [roll0] (+14 BAB, +10 Str, +4 Powerful Build, -2 Whirling Frenzy)
Second:[roll1] (+14 BAB, +10 Str, +4 Powerful Build, -2 Whirling Frenzy)
Third:[roll2] (+14 BAB, +10 Str, +4 Powerful Build, -2 Whirling Frenzy)
Fourth:[roll3] (+14 BAB, +10 Str, +4 Powerful Build, -2 Whirling Frenzy)
5-Foot Step (IF I break free) to AF23
Will add opposed roll results below, once rolled. Either way, Cragmar's Turn Ends.

Edit: Opposed Grapple checks to break free.
First=32
Second=43
Third=28
Fourth=28

nefele
2010-08-18, 05:02 PM
OOC: That was the single best piece of fluff I've ever seen in an Arena match in my entire life. :smallbiggrin:

Cragmar:
Whirling Frenzy is 2/3, methinks, since you raged with Krunk, too.

Thalnawr
2010-08-18, 05:03 PM
For DM
Ahh, I'm counting it as 1/3 remaining, not 1/3 used. I guess I should have specified.

playswithfire
2010-08-18, 10:22 PM
opposed grapple rolls

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

45, 48, (nat 1) and 53

nefele
OOC: does a natural 1 on a grapple check auto-fail? If so, he escapes on the third try. Otherwise, I hold on

Thalnawr
2010-08-18, 11:12 PM
Ooc: nefele told me in my last match that a nat 1 didn't auto-fail on opposed rolls. Things are looking grim for Cragmar indeed if those are your results and one was a natural 1...

nefele
2010-08-19, 02:38 AM
OOC: No auto-fail (or auto-succeed) for opposed rolls. Thalnawr, none of Gokapa's public rolls was a nat 1. Playswithfire simply wrote "nat 1" instead of <number rolled>.

Cragmar doesn't escape.

ROUND 4, Gokapa's turn

playswithfire
2010-08-19, 06:05 AM
Gokapa

Gokapa gets angry himself and answers You too ugly to be girl. Now hold still. and begins bending Cragmar's limbs and forcing them through a set of manacles.

Free action to rage, swift action to adopt Giant's Stance, then full attack of grapple checks to hog-tie/damage.

[roll0]
[roll1] damage if not hog-tied [roll2]
[roll3] damage if not hog-tied [roll4]

Three more grapple rolls. If you lose one of them, you're hog-tied (bound and helpless) and the others will then be for the damage listed.
first 1: 45
second: 49; 38 damage if you lose and the 1st one hog-tied you
third: 33; 33 damage if you lose and the 1st or 2nd one hog-tied you

Thalnawr
2010-08-19, 08:27 AM
Ooc: Yeah, I figured it out eventually, too. (the natural one thing)

For DM
Resist1: [roll0] (+14 BAB, +10 Str, +4 Powerful Build)
Resist2: [roll1] (+14 BAB, +10 Str, +4 Powerful Build)
Resist3: [roll2] (+14 BAB, +10 Str, +4 Powerful Build)

These aren't iterative because it's not my turn, right?

Results to follow.
Edit: First Result: 44, and because that fails, I'm assuming the next two rolls don't matter.

For DM
HP Remaining: 54/147

Thalnawr
2010-08-19, 09:09 AM
Ooc: Since I'm bound and helpless, does this mean that's the match?

nefele
2010-08-19, 09:20 AM
Round 4 ends.

On his turn, Cragmar is bound and otherwise helpless, but he can make a Strength check to break the manacles. If he does, he is still grappled by Gokapa, but no longer bound and helpless.

(Technically, he can also make an Escape Artist check to escape, but this normally requires one minute.)

playswithfire:
It doesn't really matter now, but if Escape Artist was a meaningful option during combat, we would need a Use Rope check from you, even if you used a grapple check to hog-tie your opponent. Then, he would have to roll Escape Artist Vs your Use Rope and, if successful, start dealing with your grapple.

I'm only mentioning this because there may be some tricks to use Escape Artist from bindings as a full-round action or less. So just roll a Use Rope next time. :)

ROUND 5, Cragmar's turn

nefele
2010-08-19, 09:32 AM
OOC:

Since I'm bound and helpless, does this mean that's the match?
That's not a foregone conclusion, but let's just say you need extraordinary rolls from now on.

Thalnawr
2010-08-19, 09:38 AM
Cragmar's Actions, Round 5
With a Herculean effort, Cragmar attempts to break free of the manacles and escape his captor. It is evident the struggle is slowly taking its toll on the mighty archer.

For DM

Strength Check to to break Manacles: [roll0]
If the Strength Check is a move action, then I'll put one opposed roll here, please let me know if I can post it publicly.
Opposed Roll to Break Grapple: [roll1] (+14 BAB, +10 Str, +4 Powerful Build)
Result to Follow. Cragmar's Turn Ends.

Edit: Strength Check Result=27

nefele
2010-08-19, 09:42 AM
The Strength check fails.

OOC: I think it's a standard action.

ROUND 5, Gokapa's turn.

playswithfire
2010-08-19, 04:30 PM
nefele

I would have posted Use Rope, but I inferred that his frenzy was either actually frenzy or at least a rage and he thus couldn't use DEX-based skills, but you're right I should have posted it anyway, since I didn't know for sure.

OOC: so close; DC to smash the shackles was 28

Gokapa
Which a quick motion, Gokapa snaps the neck of the hog-tied goliath, killing him instantly.

Full round to coup-de-grace since he's helpless.
Auto-hits and crits
Damage [roll0] + [roll1]

Coup de grace does 57 bludgeoning damage. Make a Fort save DC=67 or die, unless you're immune to crits, in which case just 28 bludgeoning damage.

Thalnawr
2010-08-19, 04:40 PM
Ooc: Ok, so a natural 20 is needed to save, I'll just roll that openly. However, that is also enough damage to put me unconscious, so it's over anyway. As far as the manacles DC goes, I didn't know if they were just masterwork manacles or something special like adamantine or something magical.

[roll0]

playswithfire
2010-08-19, 04:45 PM
Masterwork manacles; guess I should have posted that, but I figured a character probably couldn't tell from just looking. Should have posted the break DC, though; my bad.

Good match.

Thalnawr
2010-08-19, 04:45 PM
With an abrupt crack, Cragmar's neck snaps and the thrashing slows to a halt.

Ooc: Yeah, tactical errors on my part have ended up costing me both of my matches so far. If I'd have hit on my multi-shot, avoided taking the retcon, or moved into the undergrowth instead of straight south, we might have had a different ending there.

playswithfire
2010-08-19, 04:47 PM
Well, that's the nice thing about this tournament; you get to try out a bunch of different tactics and tactical situations.

Why'd you come down off the cliff? I had a way up, but you wouldn't necessarily have known that, other than climbing, which would be slow going. Was it just to in point blank range?

nefele
2010-08-19, 04:54 PM
playswithfire:
About Escape Artist: good point. I looked at skill tricks and MIC, and there wasn't anything that could turn this Escape Artist check to a full-round action. So I don't believe it will come into play.

Match Finalized.
Victor: Gokapa Ginol

Thalnawr
2010-08-19, 04:54 PM
Range penalties aren't a problem for Cragmar, I came down mostly to speed things up, to get Point Blank range for Multishot (since it requires 30 feet like 90% of the other good archery tricks in d20). If I'd have hit with the Multishot, you could have taken a boatload of damage, which I figured was worth the risk. And yeah, being a goliath, I figured you had at the least a decent Climb check, which is all you really need to get up on the cliff.

playswithfire
2010-08-19, 05:04 PM
Yeah, you're right. If you'd hit me for a lot of damage and then I'd missed you due to undergrowth's miss chance, you probably could have kept moving and multi-shotting; you definitely have better speed than I do.

As far as climbing, I'd completely forgotten about mountain movement and only have 2 ranks in Climb (needed for a prestige class); had enough strength to have a decent chance, though. I was planning to use Shadow Stride to blink into appearance behind you.

Thalnawr
2010-08-19, 05:08 PM
Yeah, ToB stuff is one thing Cragmar wouldn't have had a clue on, even though you might want to include spoilers in the future dependent on if your opponent can see you and has the Martial Lore skill.