PDA

View Full Version : Call of Cthulhu Scenario Questions

Lord Loss
2010-08-18, 07:11 AM
I'm looking for any Call of Cthulhu Scenarios (or books containing such Scenarios) involving aliens and/or asylums. Edition does not matter. The campaign is set in modern times, but 1920s adventures can easily be converted. Also, please mention if the adventures are available in PDF or must be bought in book form.

Thanks for the help! -L.L

dsmiles
2010-08-18, 07:15 AM
I have the 6th edition CoC RPG book, but I don't think it has aliens. Mostly undead. Did you try Scribd (http://www.scribd.com/)? They have a lot of books converted into .pdf format.

WalkingTarget
2010-08-18, 07:20 AM
Have you looked into Delta Green (a CoC supplement by Pagan Publishing). Short version: the US government has known something weird is going on since the 1928 raid on Innsmouth - DG is a conspiracy within various government agencies made of people who are aware of the mythos but is itself discredited and operating underground by modern day.

Specific alien subplot spolier for GMs:
The government made contact with the Greys several decades ago. What they don't know is that the Greys are biological automata under the control of the Mi-go as part of an experiment on humanity. The main DG book has a scenario dealing with them along with source material on this stuff to flesh out your own stories.

comicshorse
2010-08-18, 07:24 AM
There was an old collection of CofC scenario's called 'The Asylum ' ( with the main scenario set in an asylum) but this was produced decades ago so wether any still exist.....

Lord Loss
2010-08-18, 07:29 AM
My setting is similar to Delta Green. I can't seem to find any PDF or reasonably priced versions of the supplements, however.

dsmiles
2010-08-18, 07:38 AM
Have you tried this (http://www.scribd.com/doc/13690155/call-of-cthulhu-d20) or this (http://www.scribd.com/doc/29991748/Call-of-Cthulhu-40-Adventures)?

WalkingTarget
2010-08-18, 07:45 AM
My setting is similar to Delta Green. I can't seem to find any PDF or reasonably priced versions of the supplements, however.

It was out of print for a number of years, so it's hard to find the originals. There was a dual stat BRP/D20 re-release a few years ago, but looking into that I see that it's apparently hard to find now too.

I did find this (http://www.ccgarmory.com/degrhcd.html) page that doesn't say they're out of stock and actually appears to have the book discounted.

Edit - I know that the alien stuff is in the main book. I'll check through the other 3 books when I get some time this afternoon to see if there's any other scenarios that deal with them. It's been a while since I read through the first 3 books and I haven't had a chance to look through the new one I just picked up at Gen Con.

Aroka
2010-08-18, 08:34 AM
Adventures in Arkham Country (all 1920s) includes the adventure With Malice Aforethought, which involves the Arkham Sanitarium.

What do you mean by "alien", though? Technically almost all Mythos creatures are. Do you mean things like mi-go and shan specifically?

Mortal Coils has Mysteria Matris Oblitae, which very much feels like a "an alien was found in a remote area" X-Files type of thing, although what's really going on may be different. It's a pretty tiny part of the book, though, so I wouldn't recommend getting it just for this scenario (whereas With Malice Aforethought is the majority and best part of Adventures in Arkham Country).

Lord Loss
2010-08-18, 08:38 AM
Any product involving Mi-Go, Shan, The greys, the Great race or other creatures that my players will attribute with extraterrestrials would be nice.

Also, I was wondering if The Stars Are Right is a good book for this kind of thing, as it contains nemo Solus Sapit as well as some alien-themed adventures.

Project_Mayhem
2010-08-18, 12:16 PM
Check out the downloads on Yog-sothoth (http://www.yog-sothoth.com/local_links.php)

Lord Loss
2010-08-18, 01:38 PM
Check out the downloads on Yog-sothoth (http://www.yog-sothoth.com/local_links.php)

Thanks! There's a lot of good scenarios here!

Satyr
2010-08-18, 02:14 PM
The best classic Call of Cthulhu campaign is the Orient Express, but it is a bit railroaded.

I would actually recommend the Armitage Files for Trail of Cthulhu (which is the better successor in any way) but the adventure should be easily refitted for CoC - the background is identical anyway.

WalkingTarget
2010-08-18, 08:12 PM
The best classic Call of Cthulhu campaign is the Orient Express, but it is a bit railroaded.

*groans*

Well played, sir, well played.

My understanding, though, was that the Masks of Nyarlathotep was the classic campaign. Neither of these has anything to do with aliens or asylums specifically (at least not in the way that "aliens" are typically meant in a modern-day setting).

I looked through my Delta Green books.

The main book has the chapter on Majestic-12 (the government organization who've been involved with the Greys since Roswell), and 4 scenarios. The first is about an alien parasite, unrelated to the other setting details (other than it's set up to involve non-DG people in order to act as an introduction). Then there's a stand-alone one dealing with the Greys and their experiments that MJ-12 helps work to cover up. The last 2 are a mini-campaign set sometime after MJ-12 has started to become wary of their alliance with the Greys (possibly due to the actions in the previous scenario).

Countdown:

Starts with the chapter on PISCES, the British secret service organization that was their version of Delta Green (only initiated into the mythos through run-ins with the Shans instead of Deep Ones).
Unfortunately, they began to be infiltrated by the Shans during their 1968 raid on Goatswood and by now the leaders are all under their control. There is a civilian organization opposed to the Shans that appears to be a cult (they use trepanning as a protective measure) that is also covered in the next chapter.

There's the Outlook Group, a government think-tank that performs psychological experiments on people and is in cahoots with Majestic-12. This is probably the closest to an asylum-centric thing in Delta Green.

Eyes Only:

A chapter with some in-depth info on the Mi-go and there's a scenario involving them.
Glancing through it, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot that ties directly into the Greys and the related conspiracy stuff. This is more of a straight mythos investigation.

Targets of Opportunity:

Doesn't really have anything involving asylums or aliens.

All of the books do have plenty of other stuff involving various mythos entities, modern cults, etc. It's easily my favorite modern-day "setting" for CoC and Lovecraftian stuff in general.

Lord Loss
2010-08-19, 06:01 AM
I'm interested in Delta Green and DG Countdown.

Do you need the first to use the second?

Project_Mayhem
2010-08-19, 07:33 AM
I bought masks on pdf, and honestly - it didn't look that good. It appeared just the stereotypical pulpy everyone-needs-to-be-ludicrously-combat-focused-or-they-die style game.

My personal favourite pre-written campaign in Tatters of the King. There's about 2 unavoidable fights in the whole game :smallbiggrin:. And It's so well presented and written its worth reading for that alone. I seriously cannot sufficiently pimp this

WalkingTarget
2010-08-19, 09:20 AM
I'm interested in Delta Green and DG Countdown.

Do you need the first to use the second?

Only in that the main book has the description of the Delta Green organization itself (and Majestic-12 if you want to use them as an antagonistic group) as well as the occupation skill lists for various government organizations (Countdown has a lot more, but is mainly focused on non-US organizations). Since it's just a setting book for CoC, it doesn't actually describe the BRP ruleset.

There's a bunch of stuff about different security clearances and other realism-enhancing tips for dealing with the intelligence community, but I suppose that's not strictly required.

If you're just wanting to lift, say, PISCES out of Countdown and drop them into your own setting/background/whatever without the DG-specific baggage, I don't see why you'd need the main book. Also, something I'd forgotten is that one of PISCES' primary interests is psychic "talents", which there are rules for in Countdown if you choose to insert them into your game.

I bought masks on pdf, and honestly - it didn't look that good. It appeared just the stereotypical pulpy everyone-needs-to-be-ludicrously-combat-focused-or-they-die style game.

Meh, when I ran it I had three players, only one of whom had any combat ability whatsoever. They managed to make it through with no deaths and only one replacement character due to insanity. They managed to avoid most of the combat scenes the book presents by either successfully sneaking around or simply not following up on every "clue" they came across. They almost always chose the plot-important one first, and then would ignore the others since they'd found the "correct" one. I admit that I didn't insist on throwing every possible combat their way, but I felt they were operating cautiously enough that I didn't want to just ambush them just for the sake of having more combat. That was more of a factor that I only had 3 players than anything, though. If I'd had 4 or 5 things may have been different.

My personal favourite pre-written campaign in Tatters of the King. There's about 2 unavoidable fights in the whole game :smallbiggrin:. And It's so well presented and written its worth reading for that alone. I seriously cannot sufficiently pimp this

I agree, an extremely well-written campaign. It's only a few years old, though, which I felt disqualified it as "classic". Masks has been around in one version or another since '84 (and the Chaosium website says a new run of it is at the printers now).