PDA

View Full Version : What spells would you like to see in D&D?

WarKitty
2010-08-18, 10:02 AM
What is there that you think a spell ought to do that there currently isn't a spell that does it? Especially on the order of lower-level spells, before you get access to the high-level stuff like PaO, wish, miracle, etc.

Edit: Not just useful spells, but anything that you just think "ooo it would be really cool if I could do that!" even if it's not a majorly useful spell.

Popertop
2010-08-18, 11:22 AM
I wish there were better debuffs.

There's just too little time to get all the debuffs in that I want.

Excluding tricked out Enervate of course.

I also wish there was a better medium for spells, it all just seems random and slapped together, with some spells being totally useless and some too good to not prepare every day.

dsmiles
2010-08-18, 11:29 AM
Ooh! OOH! Can I have the Dragon Slave?!?

Oh, I already do...
http://www.pen-paper.net/images/rpgdb/goo17001.jpg

Quietus
2010-08-18, 11:33 AM
I assume you mean in real life? Prestidigitation and telekinesis would be my two picks.

WarKitty
2010-08-18, 11:37 AM
I assume you mean in real life? Prestidigitation and telekinesis would be my two picks.

No, I meant in the game. Things you wish you could do but there just isn't a written spell that does it.

The Glyphstone
2010-08-18, 11:38 AM

That's what I expected at first, but I think the OP means in-game. What spells could exist that don't and you'd like to.

I'd like more low-level stealthy spells - aside from Invisibility (which discharges) and Silence (which isn't stealthy at all), there's not much to aid rogue-gish types.

EDIT: Swordsaged by the OP.

Greenish
2010-08-18, 11:43 AM
If it can't be done with Prestidigitation, it ain't wort doing. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20010707)

Cirrhosis
2010-08-18, 11:45 AM
Nahal's Reckless Dweomer never made the transition from 2nd edition. It was a second level spell that let you attempt to cast any spell you'd ever seen, but with a percentile table to roll on to determine if the spell functioned correctly, incorrectly, or if another effect occurred entirely. It was all sorts of fun and occasionally useful, if luck was on your side.

Avilan the Grey
2010-08-18, 11:50 AM
Bigby's Nuclear Missile. :smallbiggrin:

What, me evil?

Greenish
2010-08-18, 11:53 AM

What, me evil?Knowing Bigby's hand fetish, it'd probably be "Bigby's Rocker Punch".

dsmiles
2010-08-18, 12:06 PM
Knowing Bigby's hand fetish, it'd probably be "Bigby's Rocker Punch".

Maybe the Bigby's Devil's Horns?
http://files.myopera.com/rpsgc/albums/16337/DEVIL%20HORNS.png

Tyndmyr
2010-08-18, 12:09 PM

Prestidigitation? Screw that. Invisible Servant. God yes.

Snake-Aes
2010-08-18, 12:09 PM
http://files.myopera.com/rpsgc/albums/16337/DEVIL%20HORNS.png

+4 circumstance bonus to perform(stringed instruments) check.

Prestidigitation? Screw that. Invisible Servant. God yes.

You will now read the book of erotic fantasy anymore.

Lysander
2010-08-18, 12:12 PM
I'd like more enchantment spells that are buffs, altering your mind and your allies' minds in beneficial ways.

I'd like more non-destructive non-undead related necromancy spells.

I'd like illusion shadow spells designed to replicate objects and structures.

dsmiles
2010-08-18, 12:14 PM
You will now read the book of erotic fantasy anymore.

Maybe the cleric avatar is just a cover. Maybe a "blue mage?"

Greenish
2010-08-18, 12:14 PM
I see your horns and raise you one. http://epicpurple.webs.com/Metal-Horns-explosion_EX.jpg

dsmiles
2010-08-18, 12:18 PM
I see your horns and raise you one. http://epicpurple.webs.com/Metal-Horns-explosion_EX.jpg

You, sir, do not play fair.

Snake-Aes
2010-08-18, 12:19 PM
I'd like more enchantment spells that are buffs, altering your mind and your allies' minds in beneficial ways.

That's what bard songs do, basically.
On my side, I don't miss a lot from spells. What I really miss is a more usable system for poisons and drugs. Dćmon has two hp pools because one of it is abstract(action points) and the other is actual health(health points), and guess what, action points only apply in ACTION :p Poor poor fighter that ate rotten meat...

ANYWAY
Poisons. Drugs. Diseases. Those things are almost nil in d&d past level 5 or 6.

Radar
2010-08-18, 12:25 PM

What, me evil?
There are ways to do that as it is (Explosive, Widened... some Aoe or Apocalypse from the Sky), but Bigby's Significant Digit could come in handy. :smalltongue:
Apart from that, I would really like to see a Portal-like spell - it's just universally useful and fun.

Starscream
2010-08-18, 12:33 PM
I've always thought we really need something that can be used to recharge staffs and wands. UA has rules for doing so, but they explicitly cost more than buying a new one, which defeats the purpose entirely.

I'm not talking about making them infinite use or anything, just something that is slightly more practical than throwing out your awesome staff and building a new one from scratch every time you use fifty charges. It could have a reasonably pricey component and maybe a small xp charge to keep it from being overused.

dsmiles
2010-08-18, 12:33 PM
There are ways to do that as it is (Explosive, Widened... some Aoe or Apocalypse from the Sky), but Bigby's Significant Digit could come in handy. :smalltongue:
Apart from that, I would really like to see a Portal-like spell - it's just universally useful and fun.

You mean dimension door?

Radar
2010-08-18, 12:50 PM
You mean dimension door?
Something more diverse - Dimension Door is just a personal teleport. I was thinking more about small, temporary Ring Gates, that could be placed in any position.

Cirrhosis
2010-08-18, 12:51 PM
I've always thought we really need something that can be used to recharge staffs and wands. UA has rules for doing so, but they explicitly cost more than buying a new one, which defeats the purpose entirely.

I'm not talking about making them infinite use or anything, just something that is slightly more practical than throwing out your awesome staff and building a new one from scratch every time you use fifty charges. It could have a reasonably pricey component and maybe a small xp charge to keep it from being overused.

Artificers get this. costs the same XP per charge as the original wand, I believe, but you don't have to spend XP for all 50 charges. Just one or two here and there.

Evard
2010-08-18, 12:55 PM
I would want a spell that strips class abilities :D Ok so that would make casters even more powerful if they could delete a fighter feat or barbarian's rage or something XD

*edit* oh mr rogue so you are flanking me... *pzzt* HA! You forgot how to back stab... Err damn I still have d4 hit die... ^$#%

ericgrau
2010-08-18, 12:55 PM
You mean dimension door?
That would be 2e dimension door. 3e needs one. 2e had a lot of thinking with portals via that spell.

Snake-Aes
2010-08-18, 12:57 PM
I would want a spell that strips class abilities :D Ok so that would make casters even more powerful if they could delete a fighter feat or barbarian's rage or something XD

Wanna try Talude's Total Nullification? No save, +10 to beat spell resistance, erases person from existence.
No body. No soul. Not even the memories of that person are spared. Everyone who ever interacted with the guy loses such memories. Even great deeds are then left to a nameless unknown hero/villain.

Evard
2010-08-18, 12:58 PM
I was thinking something that is lower level though, that also could work on monsters (make them forget how to do their special abilities)..

Dr.Epic
2010-08-18, 12:59 PM
All of them. But for a narrowed down list, I'll hit ya back later.

WarKitty
2010-08-18, 01:04 PM
All of them. But for a narrowed down list, I'll hit ya back later.

I am guessing you're making the same mistake Quietus did.

Evard
2010-08-18, 01:15 PM
I would like a spell that lets you change other spells for X hours.

Spell: lvl 1
When you cast any other spell in the next 48 hours you may change specific things in the description.Some things you can change include...

Element
School of magic
divine/arcane
*other (such as materials or verbal/somatic)

Wings of Peace
2010-08-18, 01:38 PM
I forget the name of the first spell but essentially it let you instantly know and understand the contents of any non-magical text, for my second spell I would take prestidigitation.

WarKitty
2010-08-18, 01:41 PM
I forget the name of the first spell but essentially it let you instantly know and understand the contents of any non-magical text, for my second spell I would take prestidigitation.

Third person? Was my first post unclear or do people just not read past the title?

Greenish
2010-08-18, 02:04 PM
Third person? Was my first post unclear or do people just not read past the title?Well, the title is misleading and your post starts with "title says most of it". Quick scan and it looks like the way more common version.

Anyway, you can already do pretty much anything with magic in D&D, so trying to get it to cover even more is a rather alien goal for many.

Starscream
2010-08-18, 02:05 PM
Hey, here's a thought. How about something that let's you transpose some of the values that define a spell, somewhat like what :vaarsuvius: accidentally did in the Iron Mages competition.

Cast the spell, and the next spell you cast allows you to, say, halve the range but double the area. Or double the duration by reducing the caster level.

Sort of like metamagic, but instead of simply improving the spell (by increasing the level), you accept one penalty in return for one benefit.

okpokalypse
2010-08-18, 02:08 PM
An old spell I wrote for a MUD a long time ago...

Xanthrope's Beacon / Recall
Target: 1 Willing Creature / Special
Duration: 1 Day / Level
Range: Infinite, Within Plane
Saving Throw: Will Negates (Harmless)

The spell had two uses. One was to set a Beacon on a Willing Subject. It had a long duration and one could have as many active Beacons as 1 + 1/3 Level. The other use was to Recall a Subject with the Beacon on them, or to recall all Subjects with a Beacon on them. If one being recalled wanted to resist, they were allowed a Will Save to do so. Those recalled immediately filled the nearest adjacent squares to the caster.

This was used to allow players to go their own way for whatever amount of time was determined, and then they could be recalled back to the caster. I've researched this spell in a few D&D campaigns and it's been wonderful. It's usually graded between 3rd and 5th level. It was usually debated as to how effective it would be to rescue captives - but once dispelled it's useless since the Beacon portion is necessary and quite easily removable by another caster, or preventable via a Dimensional Anchor.

WarKitty
2010-08-18, 02:13 PM
Well, the title is misleading and your post starts with "title says most of it". Quick scan and it looks like the way more common version.

Anyway, you can already do pretty much anything with magic in D&D, so trying to get it to cover even more is a rather alien goal for many.

Yeah, I was thinking mostly of lower to mid level casters, before you get to the powerful "reshape reality to suit yourself" spells. Not sure how else to phrase the title without making it long and clunky?

Ernir
2010-08-18, 02:20 PM
A Druid spell to accelerate the natural growth of plants and/or sculpt those plants into shape. Not a combat spell, just something to make an insta-grove (just add water!).

Lots of Cleric spells with mundane uses. Spells with names like Ease Childbirth and Reduce Arthritic Pains.

In combat... really, I can't think of any situation for which there isn't a spell.

WarKitty
2010-08-18, 02:23 PM
My personal desire was a contraceptive spell.

Snake-Aes
2010-08-18, 02:25 PM
My personal desire was a contraceptive spell.

BoEF has that. It's either a cantrip or a level 1 spell.

WarKitty
2010-08-18, 02:27 PM
BoEF has that. It's either a cantrip or a level 1 spell.

Must look up...our party tends to have need of this rather frequently.

Greenish
2010-08-18, 02:35 PM
Yeah, I was thinking mostly of lower to mid level casters, before you get to the powerful "reshape reality to suit yourself" spells. Not sure how else to phrase the title without making it long and clunky?"What spells is D&D 3.5 missing?"

It also conveniently tells everyone which game and edition the topic is about.

WarKitty
2010-08-18, 02:41 PM
"What spells is D&D 3.5 missing?"

It also conveniently tells everyone which game and edition the topic is about.

I suppose...I wasn't thinking of them as "missing" spells per se...I like to run high-magic campaigns and it intrigues me what *other* spells would be available, spells that weren't designed primarily with combat in mind. Or just what little handy or cool tricks you'd like your spellcaster to be able to do. "Missing" always starts up a whole debate about How The Game Ought To Be.

Snake-Aes
2010-08-18, 02:44 PM
I suppose...I wasn't thinking of them as "missing" spells per se...I like to run high-magic campaigns and it intrigues me what *other* spells would be available, spells that weren't designed primarily with combat in mind. Or just what little handy or cool tricks you'd like your spellcaster to be able to do. "Missing" always starts up a whole debate about How The Game Ought To Be.

Well, prestidigitation covers for most classical tricks, as shown in that excerpt. If it has no combat use and no lasting effect, odds are you can just throw it in prestidigitation. My dm uses prestidigitation as a contraceptive measure and disguise copper coins as gold coins (doesn't trick anyone who bothers with the appraise check, as it is easy to spot the flaws, like its weight)

Toliudar
2010-08-18, 02:47 PM
At 0-level, we get Prestidigitation, the very minor "everything that you want to do" spell. At level 7 and then 9, we get Limited Wish, Wish and Miracle, the "everything you ever, ever wanted to do" spell. It would be great to have a 3-4th level spell that fell somewhere in the middle.

Not something to tell the laws of physics to shut up and sit down, but something that could encourage them to keep it down a bit. Maybe it can reproduce any 1st level spell (or, to further differentiate it from Anyspell, any 1st level spell, incantation or power), or do any of a small list of things.

You know, the kind of thing that powerful spellcasters can just toss off. Not powerful enough to be a primary offensive spell, but enough that they can shape a tool for any situation (yes, yes, insert snide comment here).

okpokalypse
2010-08-18, 03:16 PM
A Divine Spell that prevents the 1st Dazed / Stunned / Paralysed effect on you and is Dispelled. Probably a good 2nd level, long-duration (like Hr / Lev) spell.

Zieu
2010-08-18, 04:44 PM
I'd like more low-level stealthy spells - aside from Invisibility (which discharges) and Silence (which isn't stealthy at all), there's not much to aid rogue-gish types.

How is Silence not stealthy? Sneak into a camp at night, buff party (optional), cast silence on carried object, and you've got a squad of ninjas. Nobody can cast spells with verbal components, nobody can scream, nobody can call for help....just a silent massacre. What's stealthier than a silent massacre?

Greenish
2010-08-18, 04:50 PM
How is Silence not stealthy? Sneak into a camp at night, buff party (optional), cast silence on carried object, and you've got a squad of ninjas. Nobody can cast spells with verbal components, nobody can scream, nobody can call for help....just a silent massacre. What's stealthier than a silent massacre?20' radius of complete and utter lack of noise isn't very subtle. It'll startle the wildlife, quieten the wind which is still blowing, not to mention instantly alarming anyone who suddenly gets inside the radius.

[Edit]: That said, druid and ranger lists get some stealth boosters on their list.

Darius Rae
2010-08-18, 07:17 PM
KNIFE EYE ATTACK!!!
Dr. McNinja anyone?

Greenish
2010-08-18, 07:25 PM
KNIFE EYE ATTACK!!!Wielding a weapon in your brow slot, hmm...

EnnPeeCee
2010-08-18, 07:50 PM
The main one for me would be low level Mark/Recall style teleporting, and push the actual teleportation spells to a higher level.

Ilmryn
2010-08-18, 08:06 PM

What, me evil?

To keep the spirit of the Bigby spells, I believe that would be Bigby's Hand of Pushing Big Red Buttons:smallbiggrin:

Gnaeus
2010-08-18, 08:24 PM
There should be a spell that allows the assumption of templates and entry into monster classes. For example:

Mutation
Sor/Wiz 4, Cleric 5, Druid 5, Dread Necro 5
Casting time: 1 hour
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: Permanent
Saving Throw: Fort and Will.
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell is used to apply templates, change races, or allow entry into monster classes for existing creatures. If the caster is changing the target from a race with no RHD into another race with no RHD and an LA equal to or less than the original race, or apply an LA +0 template, the change is immediate upon failure of the fortitude save. If the spell is used to apply a +1 LA template, or change the target into a race with an LA 1 higher than the existing race, the target immediately loses 1 level and the change is immediate upon failure of the fortitude save. In all cases, this spell can cause the target's ECL to go down (e.g. a goliath turned into an elf), but never to immediately go up.

This spell can also be used to enter monster classes or apply stepped progression LA (Such as the progression through Draconic to Half-Dragon) by agreement with the DM. In this event, upon failing the fortitude save, the target immediately loses one level, and either loses his race and gains the first level of the monster class, or gains the first LA of the template progression. Whenever the target levels afterwards, he must pass a will save or be forced to take the next level of the monster class or LA progression until the monster class is complete. The caster may submit LA progressions or custom monster class advancements to the DM for approval based on existing templates or monsters with LA for which no progression or monster class exists.

If the target loses his race, he loses all ability modifiers and other bonuses acquired from that race (including human skill points, bonus feats, and racial feats traded away by methods like Chaos Shuffle). If the assumed race/template is always of a different alignment from the target, the DM may require periodic Will saves to avoid his alignment shifting in the direction of the new race. If the new race/template has an alignment type differing from the target's alignment, the target must make a monthly Will save to avoid his alignment shifting one step in the direction of the new race. If the change is particularly jarring (e.g. a paladin being mutated into an undead or evil outsider, or almost anything being mutated into an aberration) the DM may at his discretion require Will saves to avoid insanity from the shock.

If a target possesses classes that he no longer qualifies for due to a change in race or type (such as an elf with levels in elf paragon who is mutated into a Tiefling), he immediately loses all special abilities (as per the text on p17, Complete Arcane) of that class. If a target possesses feats that he no longer qualifies for due to a change in race or type, he derives no further benefits from those feats. The DM is encouraged to allow such classes or feats to be retrained (as per the rules in Unearthed Arcana). The target cannot take feats or classes requiring the new races or templates until he has completed the racial or template progression.

The cleric version of this spell only allows changes into creatures or templates that give the Humanoid Type, Outsider Type, or other types based on deity portfolio. The Dread Necromancer version of this spell only allows changes into creatures or templates that give the Undead Type. The Druid version of this spell only allows changes into creatures or templates that give the Animal, Plant, Fay, or Elemental Type.

The effects of this spell can be reversed by Wish, Miracle, or Polymorph any Object. If this spell is used to mutate a target into a creature with an alignment descriptor, the spell shares the alignment descriptor of the target form (e.g. if used to mutate target into a Demon, the spell is Chaotic and Evil). If used to mutate a target into undead, the spell is Evil.

Material Component
Rare components costing 1000 gp per LA and HD of the form being assumed. If the target form/template has no RHD and is LA +0, the material components have no cost.

devinkowalczyk
2010-08-18, 08:39 PM
Necromancy spells. I miss then in 4 =-(

FMArthur
2010-08-18, 09:37 PM
A spell that summons a single, powerful meteor from the sky to strike your enemies after a round or so. It's actually fairly astonishing that this spell doesn't exist. I've looked but couldn't find anything like it.

Zieu
2010-08-18, 11:34 PM
20' radius of complete and utter lack of noise isn't very subtle. It'll startle the wildlife, quieten the wind which is still blowing, not to mention instantly alarming anyone who suddenly gets inside the radius.

[Edit]: That said, druid and ranger lists get some stealth boosters on their list.

At nighttime in a sleeping camp, a lack of noise isn't exactly a gamebreaker. It makes sneaking simple and accessible for non-rogue classes. Not to mention, that 20-foot radius is controllable if you cast it on an object (like I mentioned). And someone entering the radius wouldn't necessarily be immiediately alarmed; automatically assuming it's magic would be pretty obvious metagaming. Even then, they don't know where the limits of the spell are, so they can go around trying to scream for a while until the party cuts them down. In silence.

Savannah
2010-08-19, 12:58 AM
I've wanted Evan's Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion, and Bugsby's Expressive Single Digit ever since I saw them.

Balain
2010-08-19, 01:19 AM
War Hammer fantasy had a level 4 spell that was basicly a nuclear bomb. Did like 100d10 damage in a 1 mile or 10 mile sphere.

the humanity
2010-08-19, 01:21 AM
I've wanted Evan's Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion, and Bugsby's Expressive Single Digit ever since I saw them.

this.

also, emotional trauma- whenever somebody fails a will save near you, they take ___ damage. :)

Elfin
2010-08-19, 01:29 AM
Personally, I've always wished there was a spell that could transform items into gold/silver/other precious metals equal to their sale value. It's always annoying to find loot that you don't want, but can't (for whatever reason) sell.
Even if the spell came with a hefty material component, I'd definitely put such a spell in my spellbook.
That's starting to sound like a more general-use form of alchemy, actually, which might not be a bad starting point (and might make a decent name).

Wonton
2010-08-19, 03:27 AM

5.03 * 4.19 * 1000 = 2.11 * 10^4 ? :smallconfused:
-------

In all seriousness, when I stumbled upon Deceptive Facade in Complete Mage, I was extremely surprised that a spell like this hadn't existed prior to CM. It's basically an Illusion that lets you touch an object or person and make it look like another object or person. How did it take them 6 years to put that in print?! I'd bet that basically every example of an Illusionist in fantasy involves them using only two spells - Disguise Self and this one.

BladeofOblivion
2010-08-19, 03:38 AM
Necromancy spells. I miss then in 4 =-(

How about these Nightmare-Fueling Abominations? Most of which are low level!

These were made by me for Salazar's Spellbook Supreme, a contest.

Belror's Rude Awakening
Necromancy [Evil]
Level: Sor 5
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 full-round action
Range: Close (25ft + 5ft/2 levels)
Target: One Living Creature
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Fort partial

The Valiant Paladin had thwarted the evil Necromancer's plan with the aid of his allies. The seemingly defeated Sorcerer suddenly flicked his wrist and spoke some dark incantation. The paladin felt his limbs moving without any effort on his part. He suddenly turned around and began violently flailing at his allies, who fell beneath his powerful blows despite his objection. He was fully aware of what was happening and even retained control of his speech, but the Necromancer was using him like a puppet. Finally, he died by his own hand.

The target of the spell must have a skeleton. If the target lacks a skeleton, the spell fails. The target of the spell loses control as its skeleton is animated while still inside its body. For the duration of the spell, the target is treated as a skeleton with the target's creature type as the base type, though the creature retains its intelligence and constitution scores, its current hit point total, and its base attack bonus. A spellcasting target cannot be manipulated into casting spells, nor can a Psionic or Initiating Target be manipulated into using Psionics or Maneuvers. The target may take a purely mental or verbal action once per round at the same time as their body acts. In addition to the above effects, the target must make a fortitude save each round or suffer 1 Constitution damage. If the target dies while under the effect of this spell, its flesh collapses and the target becomes a skeleton under the control of the caster, ending the spell.

---

Belror's Uncontrolled Rage
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Sor 5
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100ft + 10ft/level)
Target: One Living Creature
Duration: One round/level
Saving Throw: Will Negates

The adventuring party had prepared for this moment, when they were to fight this scheming mastermind who had drawn the city to the brink of ruin. He opened with some kind of ray at the barbarian and then ran. The rogue wondered what he had done as the Barbarian flew into a rage. She figured it out as the Barbarian attacked THEM.

The spell's target attacks a random character as determined by a D6 roll.

1: The target attacks the caster.
2: The target attacks the caster's allies. If the caster has no allies, Reroll.
3-5: The target Creature acts normally.
6: The target attacks the nearest Creature.
7: The target attacks itself.
8: The target attacks its allies. If the target has no allies, Reroll.

Arcane Focus: A Medallion with a Frowny-Face on it.

---

Belror's Bone Breaking
Necromancy [Evil]
Level: Sor 3
Components: S
Target: One Creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex Negates

The Assassin aimed his bow at his target, intending a quick kill. He suddenly felt a light touch to his shoulder and his forearm shattered instantly. The sorcerer standing behind him laughed at his pain as he struggled to take his shot, knowing he likely would not survive his escape.

This spell fails if the target lacks a skeleton. The target suffers one of the following effects chosen by the caster:

Arm: The target suffers a 25% chance of automatically missing when attempting to attack.
Leg: The target's movement speed is reduced by 5ft.
Spine: 50% chance of paralysis for 1d4 rounds.

With the exception of the spine, these penalties are permanent until magical healing is received or the bone is repaired by a heal check with a DC equal to 13 + Caster's CHA Modifier.

---

Belror's Skeletal Stiffness
Necromancy [Evil]
Components: V
Range: Close (25ft + 5ft/2 levels)
Duration: One Minute/Level
Saving Throw: None

The thief followed the Black-Robed Man down the alley. The man stopped, turned around, and politely asked the thief to stop following him. Suddenly, the thief found that he could barely move, as all of his joints felt like they had steel bars rammed through them.

The target suffers 2 Dexterity damage for every four caster levels if the caster succeeds on a ranged touch attack. One minute later, the joints relax and half the ability damage simply goes away. The rest heals at the normal rate.

---

Belror's Ironic Death
Illusion (Figment)
Level: Sor 2
Range: Long (400ft + 40ft/level)
Duration: One Minute/Level
Saving Throw: Will disbelief
Spell Resistance: No

The Party's Barbarian is whisked across the room and the evil Sorcerer is standing where he was. The Wizard recognized the Sorcerer's spell as a Baleful Transposition, so this was not unexpected. He disintegrated his perceived enemy as the Cleric casts Slay Living on him. As he falls to the ground, the Illusion disappears, revealing their close friend's dead body to them as the Evil Sorcerer, still disguised as the Barbarian, laughed maniacally.

An Illusion is created around the target to appear as the caster and an illusion is created around the caster to appear as the target. A successful will saving throw by a viewer of the Illusion will allow disbelief. In addition, a successful Spellcraft check on this spell identifies it as "Baleful Transposition,"
a spell that differs by only one syllable. If the Spellcraft check succeeds by more than ten, the spell is correctly identified.

gorfnab
2010-08-19, 03:47 AM
Scholar's Touch - Races of Destiny, 1st level Divination Sorc/Wiz/Cler/Bard

gorfnab
2010-08-19, 03:51 AM
A spell that summons a single, powerful meteor from the sky to strike your enemies after a round or so. It's actually fairly astonishing that this spell doesn't exist. I've looked but couldn't find anything like it.
Kinda sounds like:
Cometfall - Complete Divine, Conjuration, 6th level Cleric/Druid
Sadly though, this spell doesn't deal as much as a spell with this name should.

Andion Isurand
2010-08-19, 03:53 AM
Belror's Bone Breaking
Necromancy [Evil]
Components: S
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex Negates

The Assassin aimed his bow at his target, intending a quick kill. He suddenly felt a light touch to his shoulder and his forearm shattered instantly. The sorcerer standing behind him laughed at his pain as he struggled to take his shot, knowing he likely would not survive his escape.

This spell fails if the target lacks a skeleton. The target suffers one of the following effects chosen by the caster:

Arm: The target suffers a 25% chance of automatically missing when attempting to attack.
Leg: The target's movement speed is reduced by 5ft.
Spine: 50% chance of paralysis for 1d4 rounds.

With the exception of the spine, these penalties are permanent until magical healing is received or the bone is repaired by a heal check with a DC equal to 13 + Caster's CHA Modifier.

Bonemelt
Necromancy
Level: Sor/Wiz 7
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Effect: Special
Duration: 1 day/level (D)
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial

You transform the bones of a living, vertebrate creature to jelly. This spell has no effect on constructs, undead, plants, oozes, vermin, elemental, or aberrations.

If the target makes a successful Fortitude save, only one limb is affected (determine randomly, not including the head or tail, if any). The limb becomes a dangling, jelly-like mass lacking the strength to hold or carry things. If the limb is used for locomotion (for example, a leg), the target's speed drops by three-quarters and Dexterity suffers a -8 circumstance penalty. If the limb is used for manipulation (for example, an arm), the target's Dexterity suffers a -8 circumstance penalty and all spellcasting requires a Concentration check (minimum DC 15). Held items are dropped, but worn items are not dropped.

If the target fails his Fortitude save, the victim collapses (at the end of his next action) into a helpless, amoeba-like slithering blob. Breathing and movement by creeping (speed 10 feet) is possible, but climbing, flying, wielding items, and the like becomes impossible. Death won't directly occur from this alteration but it often results from the lack of swift mobility the spell causes.

After failing his initial saving throw, the target of this spell can make an additional Fortitude save every 24 hours. If he succeeds, his form changes to the same state as if he had saved against the spell originally.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/wn/20020327a

Leon
2010-08-19, 04:03 AM
Ooh! OOH! Can I have the Dragon Slave?!?

Oh, I already do...
http://www.pen-paper.net/images/rpgdb/goo17001.jpg

haha, Ive been beaten to it

dsmiles
2010-08-19, 04:49 AM
haha, Ive been beaten to it

Wow. I didn't really think I was that sneaky. I love the magic system from The Slayers d20. Absolutely love it and converted all of the PHB spells to it (except for the cure wounds/heal series, since the healing worked differently in The Slayers d20).

Kami2awa
2010-08-19, 06:16 AM
There doesn't seem to be a spell that is the equivalent of the HP Cruciatus curse in the material I've seen (I don't have Book of Vile Darkness, where it would seem to fit). This would be essential for an evil villain.

There also isn't a Saruman-like "hurl people against walls" effect without using Telekinesis. Doing this via telekinesis is a rather weak use of its power (1d6 dmg for a level 5 spell is not great, even if you can hit up to 15 people at once). A spell which replicates this for low level enemies would be good.

I'd also expect there to be a high level, long ritual for amalgamating two different monsters, which would explain all the owlbears/landsharks/bunnylions in the world. Possibly creates a new monster from tiny pieces (e.g. an owl feather and a drop of bear's blood) of the originals.

hamishspence
2010-08-19, 06:26 AM
There doesn't seem to be a spell that is the equivalent of the HP Cruciatus curse in the material I've seen (I don't have Book of Vile Darkness, where it would seem to fit). This would be essential for an evil villain.

The wrack spell in BoVD probably qualifies, as might some of the others.

I'd also expect there to be a high level, long ritual for amalgamating two different monsters, which would explain all the owlbears/landsharks/bunnylions in the world. Possibly creates a new monster from tiny pieces (e.g. an owl feather and a drop of bear's blood) of the originals.

Savage Species has a few rituals for modifying creatures, or changing them into new creatures, but nothing exactly like this. The most powerful of these are based on wish.

dsmiles
2010-08-19, 06:41 AM

One word: SCIENCE!

Greenish
2010-08-19, 11:41 AM
A spell that summons a single, powerful meteor from the sky to strike your enemies after a round or so. It's actually fairly astonishing that this spell doesn't exist. I've looked but couldn't find anything like it.Cometfall?

At nighttime in a sleeping camp, a lack of noise isn't exactly a gamebreaker.Ever been camping? There's a lot of background noise (most of which you don't even notice… until it ceases).

It makes sneaking simple and accessible for non-rogue classes.A) it doesn't and B) only for casters.
And someone entering the radius wouldn't necessarily be immiediately alarmed; automatically assuming it's magic would be pretty obvious metagaming.Your character knows that magic exists. Is she going to think she's death when she suddenly can't hear her breathing?

It's not metagaming, it's having a character with common sense.
Even then, they don't know where the limits of the spell are, so they can go around trying to scream for a while until the party cuts them down. In silence.But being noticed isn't very stealthy.

Evard
2010-08-19, 12:08 PM
Ok i skipped a lot but....

If I was a wizard/sorcerer I would create a spell that would set off X spell if anyone got within 20 feet of me when I was sleeping...

I got to sleep and a monster comes within 20 feet... BZZZZT it gets hit by lightning bolt and I wake up :D

DementedFellow
2010-08-19, 12:21 PM
Some I'd like to see are by Bill Garrett and Nushae Siobhan Fahey (101 Spells Not Worth Memorizing)

Cure Smoked Ham
Power Word, NO!
Tasha's Uncontrollable Bladder
Transmute Rock to Jazz

Wonton
2010-08-19, 12:37 PM

Maybe the original creator wanted to make a Simulacrum of an owl, but his sample was tainted with some bear DNA.

Dubious Pie
2010-08-19, 12:43 PM
Power Word: KHAN!

Set
2010-08-19, 01:01 PM
More and better spells of Abjuration, Divination and Necromancy.

Some Divination spells that have offensive or defensive applications. For offensive divinations, there could be spells that inflict unasked-for (and useless) information upon a subject, dazing / stunning them with a torrent of incomprehensible thoughts (opening their minds to every creature around them, but providing no translation) or a swirling jumble of historical information that cannot be processed (opening their mind to history, causing them to see everything that ever happened in a particular place, all at once, but all smushed together) or causing them to remember intensely some terribly painful experiences from their past and suffer nonlethal damage from the 'phantom pain.' For defensive applications, a divination spell could place the caster into 'synch' with a single foe, or group of foes, granting AC bonuses and bonuses to Reflex saves against that particular foe(s), as he begins dodging their attacks before they even make them. As long as he remains on the defensive, he's practically untouchable. Another divination spell could allow one to see through 'the illusion of reality' and treat normal damage as shadow damage (20% real) for a brief time, or perhaps a single attack.

Necromancy spells that affect life-force, specifically, the caster's own life-force, allowing him to dampen it (gaining undead-like resistance to critical hits, disease, etc.), feign death, etc., or to enhance it (temporary bursts of strength, but at the cost of fatiguing himself or possibly taking nonlethal damage afterwards), to to transfer it to another (to buff their hit points or strength, at a cost to his own), or take it from another (to heal himself or strengthen himself). He might also have spells to transfer some of his life-force into an inanimate thing, simulating the effects of animation, but using his life-energy, instead of calling up 'negative energy' from some other plane. Spells involving spirits, not necessarily undead, but the sorts of spirits that are also referred to in-game as petitioners or those crazy dudes one summons with a horn of valhalla, actual ancestors and stuff, not negative energy related undead, to ask for advice, to temporarily possess a foe and impede their actions, to bedevil enemies, to bless allies, to 'ride' an ally (or oneself) and provide guidance and aid from within as a sort of 'buff' spell, etc. would make sense. Ancestral spirits could be bargained with and sent out to invisibly scout an area and report back, or the necromancer could sit down cross-legged and use necromancy to part his own spirit from his fleshly body and send himself out to scout an area (at some risk to himself, as his body is vulnerable and there are things out there that can harm a spirit as well). Shamanistic 'necromancy' spells that call upon the spirit of a slain animal and thank it for providing the hunter with sustenance, to receive a blessing from that animal, perhaps for a certain number of hours after it's meat is consumed, or drawn from an item made from the animals hide, antlers, fangs, etc. "Brother Bear, I thank you for giving your life for our benefit. May your courage flow within our veins this day."

With a suitable array of spirit-manipulating and life-force-affecting spells that have nothing to do with undead, a 'white' or 'gray' necromancer who has zero use for animate dead or negative energy would be possible, and the amount of tiresome threads about evil necromancy could be reduced.

Abjuration? I got nuthin,' but it's kinda sucky and needs more. Right now, it's a collection of evocations like fire trap that faintly pretend to be abjurations, and wizard guides all over the web say, 'Don't take Abjuration as a forbidden school because of Dispel Magic!'

When your entire raison d'etre for Abjuration is Dispel Magic, meh. Have the cleric cast it. Dump the school. :)

Otherwise, spells that emulate the sorts of 'magic' we see on TV or in movies.

Spells that knock someone down, or throw them up against a wall, or push someone back, like characters on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Supernatural or Legend of the Seeker cast all the time would be neat.

Spells that hurl a single target ray of lightning, or elongated cone of fire (cones that are longer than they are wide, what happened to those?) are commonly seen in TV 'magic,' and would be cool to see added to the game.

A spell to make someone unable to speak (not silence, an actual 'Mutening' or Lockjaw spell).

A compulsion that makes someone unable to speak about one specific thing, also a staple of the bad-guy mage. "Yeah, you saw me kill her. Too bad you can never tell anyone..."

A spell that makes your appearance / physical form become that of another person, and their appearance become yours, so that you can play the old, "He's the evil wizard! I'm good princess Daphne, oh save me!" trick.

A voodoo doll / sympathetic magic spell that inflicts a certain amount of nonlethal pain damage on someone as you manipulate the effigy. If you have some of their hair, clothing, etc. worked into the effigy, they get a big penalty to the saving throw, similar to the variable save modifiers for a binding spell.

A spell that necromantically animates someone's hair and skin and makes it attack them. Or their shadow. Or animates their blood and makes it tear out of their body and try to force itself down their throat. Okay, that's not a TV thing. I just made that up. :)

Urotsukudoji's Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion.

Greenish
2010-08-19, 01:11 PM
Spells that knock someone down, or throw them up against a wall, or push someone back, like characters on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Supernatural or Legend of the Seeker cast all the time would be neat.Telekinesis (I'll never forgive 'em for making the spell better than the psionic equivalents), Defenestrating Sphere and Bigby's Hands line all work to the effect (though the latter is not quite the same).

Spells that hurl a single target ray of lightning, or elongated cone of fire (cones that are longer than they are wide, what happened to those?) are commonly seen in TV 'magic,' and would be cool to see added to the game.The cone shape is just for the ease of playing, I guess.
A compulsion that makes someone unable to speak about one specific thing, also a staple of the bad-guy mage. "Yeah, you saw me kill her. Too bad you can never tell anyone..."That'd be cool.

A spell that makes your appearance / physical form become that of another person, and their appearance become yours, so that you can play the old, "He's the evil wizard! I'm good princess Daphne, oh save me!" trick.I'm pretty sure that one already exists. It swaps your place with the target and you'll be disguised as each other.

Wonton
2010-08-19, 01:57 PM
I'm pretty sure that one already exists. It swaps your place with the target and you'll be disguised as each other.

Translocation Trick. Using it to successfully confuse the enemy is on my list of "Things to do in D&D before I die." :smallwink:

Zieu
2010-08-19, 04:11 PM
Ever been camping? There's a lot of background noise (most of which you don't even notice… until it ceases).

This point is moot. The whole camp is sleeping, which means they aren't making constant Listen checks. I did indeed say "sleeping camp", didn't I?

A) it doesn't and B) only for casters.

A) "It doesn't" isn't a counterpoint, and B) Just because only casters can cast doesn't mean other people, such as those in a party couldn't benefit from it. 20-ft can cover more than one person, not sure if you knew that.

Your character knows that magic exists. Is she going to think she's dead when she suddenly can't hear her breathing?
It's not metagaming, it's having a character with common sense.
I'm talking about PCs entering an NPC camp in this situation. Just because an NPC suddenly can't hear their own breathing (they're either paying VERY close attention or they breathe loudly) doesn't mean they knew that PCs are responsible and is able to pinpoint their exact location. Just because the Silence spell actually affects someone (heaven forbid!) doesn't mean it isn't a spell that increases a party's stealth capabilities.

But being noticed isn't very stealthy.
Depends. Being noticed is ok when 1) you have the element of surprise, 2) you have knowledge and control over the situation whereas some random NPC guard will be confused for a round or two, and 3) you can dispose of the observer in COMPLETE SILENCE using the ENITRE party's combat capabilities instead of one rogue attempting to sneak attack (and even then, still making noise)

Greenish
2010-08-19, 04:27 PM
This point is moot. The whole camp is sleeping, which means they aren't making constant Listen checks. I did indeed say "sleeping camp", didn't I?Passive Listen checks at -10 (or -5 with Restful Armour). What's the listen DC to notice that there's no sound?

Anyway, that it can be used in a single contrived situation (no guards?) doesn't make it a sneaking spell.
A) "It doesn't" isn't a counterpointWell, the fact that we're arguing about it should demonstrate that it's far from simple. DM has to adjudicate quite a lot to make it work (DC to notice the lack of background noise from a certain area, whether or not it scares critters out and so forth).
and B) Just because only casters can cast doesn't mean other people, such as those in a party couldn't benefit from it. 20-ft can cover more than one person, not sure if you knew that.Yeah, and makes it a rather unsubtle spell.
I'm talking about PCs entering an NPC camp in this situation. Just because an NPC suddenly can't hear their own breathing (they're either paying VERY close attention or they breathe loudly) doesn't mean they knew that PCs are responsible and is able to pinpoint their exact location. Just because the Silence spell actually affects someone (heaven forbid!) doesn't mean it isn't a spell that increases a party's stealth capabilities.If the point is not to make your presence known, making your presence known isn't the best way to go about it. It's rather noticeable when a continuous sound suddenly ceases, not to even think about total and absolute silence. Sure, it won't help them to pinpoint the PCs, but it will alert them that something is wrong. (Savvy ones should figure pretty quick that it's magic, having lived their whole lives in a world filled with the stuff.)
Depends. Being noticed is ok when 1) you have the element of surprise, 2) you have knowledge and control over the situation whereas some random NPC guard will be confused for a round or two, and 3) you can dispose of the observer in COMPLETE SILENCE using the ENITRE party's combat capabilities instead of one rogue attempting to sneak attack (and even then, still making noise)"Being noticed is OK when you don't mind being noticed" is stating the obvious. Silence can be used for an ambush, but it isn't a proper sneaking spell anymore than Tiny Hut.

Zieu
2010-08-19, 04:51 PM
(Assorted ignorance)

Well I'm simply speaking from experience. I did everything I've said recently in a campaign: sneaking into an Orc/Kobold/Gnoll camp with my party under aid of a Silence spell, assassinated their leader + spellcasters and got out with little trouble/disturbances from the Guards.

I suppose it depends whether you're a stickler of a DM who overanalyzes details to guarantee constant failure or if you like to reward players' creativity using relatively low-level magic. You seem like either the former or a player under the regime of the former. My condolences.

WarKitty
2010-08-19, 04:58 PM
Now now you two, don't derail my thread.

On the subject of sneaking spells, perhaps one that allowed you to imitate the sounds of a common forest animal?

Greenish
2010-08-19, 05:02 PM
I suppose it depends whether you're a stickler of a DM who overanalyzes details to guarantee constant failure or if you like to reward players' creativity using relatively low-level magic. You seem like either the former or a player under the regime of the former. My condolences.True enough it depends on the DM, but I need not your condolences, for I prefer things to make sense.
Now now you two, don't derail my thread.Sorry, I think we're done now. (We both agree that the other guy is wrong, after all.)

On the subject of sneaking spells, perhaps one that allowed you to imitate the sounds of a common forest animal?Ghost Sound.

Zieu
2010-08-19, 05:08 PM
for I prefer things to make sense.
Sure, why not. It is both your world and a fantasy game, after all.

(We both agree that the other guy is wrong, after all.)
Agree to disagree, fine by me.

Popertop
2010-08-19, 05:29 PM
Ok i skipped a lot but....

If I was a wizard/sorcerer I would create a spell that would set off X spell if anyone got within 20 feet of me when I was sleeping...

I got to sleep and a monster comes within 20 feet... BZZZZT it gets hit by lightning bolt and I wake up :D

I feel bad for your significant other. :(
There goes your birthday surprise :smalleek:

LibraryOgre
2010-08-19, 05:34 PM
Hey, here's a thought. How about something that let's you transpose some of the values that define a spell, somewhat like what :vaarsuvius: accidentally did in the Iron Mages competition.

Cast the spell, and the next spell you cast allows you to, say, halve the range but double the area. Or double the duration by reducing the caster level.

Sort of like metamagic, but instead of simply improving the spell (by increasing the level), you accept one penalty in return for one benefit.

Actually, casting a spell to alter later spells was the basis of metamagic in 2nd edition.

However, the spells I'd like to see more of are the ones unlikely to make it into a gaming book... the spells that adepts, hedge wizards, and the like use to do a number of agricultural and craft-related tasks.

TooManyBadgers
2010-08-19, 05:42 PM
Long duration summons.

Long duration transformations.

Nonwilling transformations into something other than rock/small animals.
Flexible psyche-affecting polymorphs.

Transformation into objects.

Sound manipulation.

Demon/monster summoning without the compulsions.

Age manipulation.

More heavy-handed transmutations (turning someone's head into a pig's head, turning someone's hand into a crab-claw, etc.)

More flexible possession/'channeling'/mind swaps.

X-ray vision.

Alchemy.

Permanent anchors for dimension travel (set a door in one place that opens in another).

Lots more weakish swift cast buff spells without somatic components.

Protecar
2010-08-19, 07:08 PM
Wanna try Talude's Total Nullification? No save, +10 to beat spell resistance, erases person from existence.
No body. No soul. Not even the memories of that person are spared. Everyone who ever interacted with the guy loses such memories. Even great deeds are then left to a nameless unknown hero/villain.

Where is this spell? I google'd it to no avail. :smallconfused:

Melayl
2010-08-19, 08:09 PM
Some I'd like to see are by Bill Garrett and Nushae Siobhan Fahey (101 Spells Not Worth Memorizing)

Cure Smoked Ham
Power Word, NO!
Transmute Rock to Jazz

Actually, some of those seem pretty useful. Imagine casting a Stilled, Silent Tasha's Uncontrollable Bladder on a high-ranking NPC during negotiations...

And a spell to instantly cure meat? Quite useful.

I'd like little things like:

Reduce Pain
Reduce Fever
Remove Nausea
Sanitize (a remove disease for surfaces)
a "baby monitor" type spell
A spell to know when a child (or other charge) leaves or enters a designated area
Detect Disease

jseah
2010-08-19, 11:39 PM
About unsubtle silence:
I remember reading a fighter vs wizard thread that Dr Rocktopus played the wizard. Using the hawks as sounding beacons to detect the fighter's position through Silence was pretty cool. (read: awesome use of inverse sonar)
- so that's why he wanted 15ft circles around everything

Spells I'd like to see:
Spells that give actual tools, instead of effects.

A rod of force that you can move at range. Trip people, push things (kind of), block movement, plug holes...

A metamagic that pegs spells to objects instead of points in space (you target creatures/objects instead of a point)
A metamagic that pegs spells to points in space instead of objects (you target a point instead of a creature/object)

Invis + Major Image combined. Make everything in the area disappear and replace it with illusions.

Light bending. Plane redirects light, acts like a mirror placed at an angle. See around corners, low-level "is this an illusion?" (illusions don't reflect on them), detect vampires, possibly used to reflect [light] spells...

LibraryOgre
2010-08-20, 11:17 AM

A DM of mine would talk about two spells that a wizard created in a previous campaign. "Arcihexifer's Screaming Soul" and "Blinky's Uncontrollable Shrinking Bladder."

Kris Strife
2010-08-20, 01:22 PM
Summon Prinny.

erikun
2010-08-20, 01:54 PM
A 0th-level spell which allows you to freeze a small quantity of water at a touch.

A 1st- to 3rd-level fear spell (depending on versatility) which grants a penality when attacked with a specific type of energy, or a penality to rolls when in a certain environment.

If we're not talking about 4e, then spells with both deal damage and create some kind of terrain.

More useful Divination spells, especially for combat. Knowledge is supposed to be worth something, at least more than a single automatic evasion from an attack of your choice at high level.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-08-20, 01:58 PM
Familliacide.

Silly Wizard
2010-08-20, 02:05 PM
In 4e, I'd like more necromancy spells. Only having one or two spells per tier isn't really that good for me :(

I have no idea for 3.5, though. There seems to be way too many spells already.

WarKitty
2010-08-20, 02:08 PM
Hmm...correct me if this already exists, but a "create arrows" spell might be nice.

LibraryOgre
2010-08-20, 02:12 PM
A 0th-level spell which allows you to freeze a small quantity of water at a touch.

An actual spell I had in PF was a touch-range damage cantrip. A little bit of fire or acid damage for knocking down trolls.[/QUOTE]

WarKitty
2010-08-20, 02:16 PM
For other nice cantrips or low-level spells:

Start fire - sends off a small spark that ignites flammable materials. Cannot be used as a form of attack.

Rain shield - Force shield deflects precipitation.

Greenish
2010-08-20, 02:21 PM
Hmm...correct me if this already exists, but a "create arrows" spell might be nice.Hmm, no, but there's a psionic power to create crossbow bolts.
Start fire - sends off a small spark that ignites flammable materials. Cannot be used as a form of attack.You can do that with Prestidigitation.

WarKitty
2010-08-20, 02:27 PM
You can do that with Prestidigitation.

Ok, in that case I want a divine version of prestidigitation.

Greenish
2010-08-20, 02:28 PM
Ok, in that case I want a divine version of prestidigitation.It's on Cloistered Cleric list (and thus theoretically also available to archivist).

[Edit]: No, it's not. My bad.

ScIaDrd
2010-08-20, 07:12 PM
Summon Prinny.

Why in the Netherworld not?:smallamused:
Summon Prinny
Conjuration (Calling)
Level: Brd 1 Clr 1 Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S, F/DF,
Range: Close (25 ft +5 ft/lvl
Target: One summoned Pinny
Duration: 1 round/ level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No
As Summon Monster I but you summon a 1st level Prinny commner or any other ECL 1 Prinny of you choice.
Arcane focus
An small bag , a Small l(not necessarily lit) candle and handful of soft feathers or other plushie stuffing.

By The Bellmaker of these very fora
Diisgaea Prinny

•Monstrous Humanoid type
•Small: As a Small creature, a prinny gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but he uses smaller weapons than humans use, and his lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
•Prinny base land speed is 20 feet.
•1 extra feat at 1st level.
•4 extra skill points at 1st level and 1 extra skill point at each additional level.
•Explosive Nature: Prinnies can be picked up and thrown as a standard action with a range increment of 10', exploding violently, and dealing their Hit Dice in damage (number and die size, disregarding Constitution) in a 20 foot burst. Creatures caught in the explosion can attempt a Reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2 the prinnies' HD + the prinnies' Constitution modifier) for half damage. However, this leaves the prinny unconscious at -1HP.
•Automatic Language: Common. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic). See the Speak Language skill.
•Favored Class: Any

El Dorado
2010-08-20, 07:56 PM
That's the great thing about spell research. You read something in a book, see some cool effect in a movie, or best yet, have something happen in a game, so you decide to create something new. DMs love it and hate it though. They love it because you are showing some interest in their game and they hate it because deep down they're wondering how you are trying to break their campaign. :smallwink:

Sir_Elderberry
2010-08-20, 10:17 PM
Hmm...correct me if this already exists, but a "create arrows" spell might be nice.

Launch Bolt, Eschew Materials.

WarKitty
2010-08-20, 10:25 PM
Launch Bolt, Eschew Materials.

Yeah I was thinking something more as say a ranger cantrip to give you an endless supply of arrows. Or a higher-level spell that could create, say, daggers to throw. I'm a big fan of melee/ranged characters with minor casting abilities, I'd like to see more low-level spells that would be useful to a fighter.

Greenish
2010-08-21, 07:37 AM
Yeah I was thinking something more as say a ranger cantrip to give you an endless supply of arrows. Or a higher-level spell that could create, say, daggers to throw. I'm a big fan of melee/ranged characters with minor casting abilities, I'd like to see more low-level spells that would be useful to a fighter.(Non-mystical) Rangers don't get cantrips (or rather, orisons since they're divine).

Set
2010-08-21, 08:09 PM

Monte's Book of Eldritch Might has a spell called Devlin's Barb, that creates a single unit of ammunition.

A custom item in a game I ran in Freeport was a 'bolt-thrower' that used Devlin's Barb (cantrip) and Launch Bolt (cantrip) to create and propel crossbow bolts. It was a light-mace like rod, and could cast Devlin's Barb as a move-equivalent action, and Launch Bolt as an attack action, and had three grooves that would hold bolts it had conjured (basically giving it 'three in the chamber').

The user could fire as many bolts as he had attack actions (so, at 1st level, with Rapid Shot, two bolts in a single round). He could also fire one bolt as a standard action, and use a move-equivalent action to 'reload.' If he fired multiple bolts, he might have to take a round off to use two move-equivalent actions to reload a couple of bolts, or switch to one shot / one reload actions for the rest of the combat.

Basically, a crossbow that isn't a crossbow, and is usable as a light mace. It's powered by a pair of cantrips, so, as magic items go, it's not exactly breaking the bank...

dspeyer
2010-08-22, 01:03 AM
Bestow skill: costs XP, grants target ranks in a skill, up to 1 less than yours or the max allowed by their hit dice.

Baleful teleport: at least level 6 (higher than the plane SoDs), will negates, teleport an unwilling target.

Also a bunch of skill boosters, like the stat boosters but +8. They can even have animal names, like "hawk's eyes" for spot.