PDA

View Full Version : Power-up for Half-Elves [3.5]

SilverLeaf167
2010-08-18, 10:23 AM
For some mysterious reason, I like half-elves. Even though they aren't especially good at anything, I still like them. Might be partially because I like it when the players get wondering who are the parents, considering every elf in a 10-mile radius.

I especially like making half-elves druids, sorcerers, and other casters. However, I get the feeling that their lack of formidable racial abilities makes them more hard to take seriously.

I think that it's stupid that while in most fantasy settings, half-bloods are usually more powerful than either of their parents, but in DnD they are actually weaker. They don't get the human's bonus skill points or feats or the elf's weapon proficiencies; instead, they have the near-meaningless +1 bonus to senses and the just slightly more useful +2 to Gather Information and Diplomacy.

So, I'm thinking about these modifications:

+2 Charisma, -2 some equivalent ability
+4 to Spellcraft
Some kind of bonus spells (if spellcaster)

Any ideas?

dsmiles
2010-08-18, 11:00 AM
The +2 to charisma doesn't need a -2 to balance it. (I forget the source, but it was talking about creating new races. 3.5 DMG, I believe.)

+4 to spellcraft? maybe.

bonus spells? not a great choice if you're not a caster.

Personally, I'd go with the Charisma boost.

Amphetryon
2010-08-18, 11:16 AM
As an alternate to +2 CHA - which exacerbates well-known Diplomancer abuses - what about "Half-Elves are considered to have a CHA 2 points higher than listed for purposes of determining Spells/Day (and Spells Known, if applicable) only"?

Tengu_temp
2010-08-18, 11:16 AM
Yeah, just slap +2 charisma on their current stat block and call it a day.

SilverLeaf167
2010-08-18, 11:19 AM
Yeah, good points... though it wouldn't really matter whether it's a good choice, as none of my players play half-elves anyway and the non-caster halfy-NPCs aren't that important in my campaign.

Dr.Epic
2010-08-18, 11:23 AM
Just give them a bonus feat at level one in addition to their skill bonuses and other racial traits.

FMArthur
2010-08-18, 11:24 AM
For my groups I just add +2 Charisma and Human bonus skill points to default half-elves. Usable by merit of granting a Cha bonus and not having a Constitution penalty or feeling like you're cheating (Lesser Aasimar/Magic-Blooded).

Thefurmonger
2010-08-18, 11:25 AM
Could always just use Pathfinder Half-elf (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/half-elf), Drop the +2 to any and make it +2 Cha

SilverLeaf167
2010-08-18, 11:27 AM
Thank you. Perfect balance probably doesn't matter anyway, as like I said, the halfies will most likely be NPC-only. Not due to a houserule, but due to my players' preferences.

Thefurmonger
2010-08-18, 11:37 AM
Your more then likley right

I can tell you tho, at least in PF people use 1/2 elves a lot.

the free skill focus, while not as good as a free feat is still fairly nice.

Add in low-light and the elf sleep spell thing and they are a real contender.

SilverLeaf167
2010-08-18, 11:47 AM
Now that you mentioned the Sleep thing, why exactly do they get the immunity? I always thought elves get it because they don't sleep at all, but to my knowledge, halfies sleep normally, not trance.

Marnath
2010-08-18, 07:53 PM
Now that you mentioned the Sleep thing, why exactly do they get the immunity? I always thought elves get it because they don't sleep at all, but to my knowledge, halfies sleep normally, not trance.

Yeah, half-elves sleep, but the immunity is only for spells, not actual sleep penalties(which need to be homebrewed, i know...there's a thread for that so don't call me on it.)