PDA

View Full Version : Directing Summoned Creatures?

Popertop
2010-08-18, 11:30 AM
Where does it tell you what kind of actions you can take to control the monsters you summon using the Summon Monster line of spells?

Free?
Move?
Standard?
Can you actually control them at all?

What about for my Familiar?
Does he just move on his own/get his own turn?

WarKitty
2010-08-18, 11:33 AM
The rules we use:

If the summoned monster is intelligent and can understand your language, you can direct it for free. If it's unintelligent you need to make a handle animal check or an equivalent, which is a standard action. If it's intelligent and you don't share a language, you can use handle animal on magical beasts or attempt to communicate somehow (move action? depends on the complexity).

Dusk Eclipse
2010-08-18, 11:37 AM
Talking is a free action, so taking into acout what WarKitty said it is a free action to redirect summoned creatures.

Note this only applies to inteligent creatures, but many of them are either fiendish or celestial so it isn't a problem.

WarKitty
2010-08-18, 11:51 AM
Talking is a free action, so taking into acout what WarKitty said it is a free action to redirect summoned creatures.

Note this only applies to inteligent creatures, but many of them are either fiendish or celestial so it isn't a problem.

Of course, an intelligent creature might have it's own ideas. They are disposed to serve you, but I'm not sure you could direct one do do something contrary to it's nature.

ericgrau
2010-08-18, 11:55 AM
Celestial animals have an int of 3, so while that's not animal intelligence, "intelligent" might be a bit of a stretch. I also don't see any indication of a language, but I could be wrong.

The spell text says:

It appears where you designate and acts immediately, on your turn. It attacks your opponents to the best of its ability. If you can communicate with the creature, you can direct it not to attack, to attack particular enemies, or to perform other actions.

Which implies you can't normally communicate with it and all it can do is attack your enemies unless you find a way to communicate.

Then it would be free action via talking and move action or full round action via handle animal, I'd imagine. Maybe you could point too and hope it understands with its limited int.

Frosty
2010-08-18, 11:55 AM
Is walking through a long, possibly trapped corridor against their nature? :smallbiggrin:

Popertop
2010-08-18, 12:09 PM
okay, so how would you handle shenanigans like:

I want this hell hound to take a five foot step back
and prepare a standard action to shoot his breath weapon when a humanoid gets within five feet of him.
The character trying to direct him is 20-30 feet away, and speaks Infernal.

Also, directing multiple creatures, like say 5 Hellhounds and 1 Fiendish Dire Wolf in this manner as well.

Snake-Aes
2010-08-18, 12:35 PM
okay, so how would you handle shenanigans like:

I want this hell hound to take a five foot step back
and prepare a standard action to shoot his breath weapon when a humanoid gets within five feet of him.
The character trying to direct him is 20-30 feet away, and speaks Infernal.

Also, directing multiple creatures, like say 5 Hellhounds and 1 Fiendish Dire Wolf in this manner as well.

Speaking is only a free action for a set of short communication, like "run away, dammit" or "stop right there!" or "shoot the one in the dress!". If you're giving out such complex orders, it makes sense to spend actual actions on it. DM discretion there, as there's no ruling on it.