PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on which ruleset to use for a Zombie/Survival game?

Binary.tobis
2010-08-18, 01:34 PM
I've been getting really excited about the idea of starting a zombie/survival/horror game with my friends, and I've been coming up with a lot of ideas and things to do to make it interesting, and long term plot. For instance I thought it would be cool to have each character have an origin story where they wake up in their bed with a zombie standing over them or something and they have to make their way to the other characters before the group game can start, and if they don't manage they have to start a new character. Bwaha.

What I'm wondering is what game should I be setting this in? We've played a little of 3.5E and 4E D&D, but all of the races and classes would be voided in a modern zombie scenario. Is there an existing ruleset made for this kind of thing? I'd like it to be easy enough to pick up that I can have people join the game as a guest for a few sessions if needed. Also, I'm wonding if you have any tips from personal experience.

Thanks!

Tyger
2010-08-18, 01:38 PM
D20 Modern is a decent bet, if you are fans of the system for D&D 3.5.

We had a member of our group run a zombie game for us using the system, and while it was a quick afternoon one off, it seemed to work OK. We didn't get into too much system issue, as we only had one zombie encounter that lead to actual combat, the rest was all us using our brains to avoid being eaten. :)

MightyTim
2010-08-18, 01:41 PM
There already is a d20 -esque system for a modern zombie type campaign.

Check out "All Flesh Must be Eaten."

I've never played it, so I can't vouch for the balance or anything like that, though.

Comet
2010-08-18, 01:43 PM
Working with D20 systems is, in my experience, always full of compromises and working around the fact that the system just isn't made for certain kinds of games.

All Flesh Must Be Eaten, on the other hand, was made specifically for playing in a zombie apocalypse. It works on Unisystem, so it's lightweight and simple enough to get anyone playing without too much fuss. I definetly recommend checking it out.

edit: ninja'd. Also, Wikipedia tells me that the Revised Edition (whatever that is) of AFMBE contains an appendix on converting the game into D20. I don't recommend it, since I'm personally much of a fan of D20, but it's still worth throwing out there.

The Rose Dragon
2010-08-18, 01:43 PM
You considered anything other than Unisystem, specifically All Flesh Must Be Eaten?

I feel sorry for your soul.

Binary.tobis
2010-08-18, 01:49 PM
Haha, so I take it AFMBE is the popular choice here. >_<

Comet
2010-08-18, 01:52 PM
Haha, so I take it AFMBE is the popular choice here. >_<

Ask anyone, you'll get the same answer. It's just that cool :smalltongue:

Satyr
2010-08-18, 01:53 PM
AFMBE is probably the best choice in this segment. It is generally a very good game, with a high degree of versatility and adaptability (there are completely sensible and useful source books for fantasy, pulp, kung fu action, science fiction... and all make fun and are well written.
The zombies are just a nice bonus, but the system works perfectly well without them. They just make it more undead.

Tyger
2010-08-18, 01:56 PM
:smalleek:

I'd never heard of that, but Google (and the comments herein) have made me take a look at it! If only that "Free Downloadable Demo" link actually worked, I'd take a close look at this.

Satyr
2010-08-18, 01:59 PM
The free core book of Witchcraft (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=692&it=1&filters=0_0_40050_0) (most likely the best free RPG you'll ever download) uses the same set of rules as AFMBE. Sans the Zombies.

Glimbur
2010-08-18, 02:53 PM
I played a one shot of AFMBE once. It worked out ok, I got stuck with a bad character though because all I could really do was shoot and there were very few bullets.

Another, more lighthearted option would be RISUS (http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/risus.htm). It can do anything... loosely.

An even sillier choice would be Wuthering Heights (http://www.unseelie.org/rpg/wh/index.html). It would be similar to Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

Snake-Aes
2010-08-18, 02:55 PM
Shotgun Dairies!

Octopus Jack
2010-08-18, 02:57 PM
Though it probably isn't the best system for it my friend ran a game of GURPS with this theme. It started out pretty good apart from most of the characters had gimped themselves apart from mine who was good at jumping and backflips but very very good at shooting his two .44 Magnums accuratly at anything that moved... :smallbiggrin:

Aroka
2010-08-18, 03:56 PM
AFMBE for the win, yes.

If you're already familiar with GURPS or, say, Twilight 2013 (rules for zombies available on the 93 Games Studio forum (http://www.93gamesstudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=44) somewhere, released as a Halloween thing), those can work fine - and if you're already familiar their complexity won't be an issue - but if you want a good, simple system that is fast to learn and works absolutely wonderfully for your purpose, AFMBE is it.

AFMBE/Unisystem is great for horror overall, and works as a good generic system for a ton of other things besides.

If you ever want just a survival game, no zombies or horror, Twilight 2013 is great, although there's a giant focus on realistic combat (the system is pretty excellent but heavy to master) because such a huge portion of the game's fans appear to be military, ex-military, or firearm hobbyists.