PDA

View Full Version : The Spear: what PrCs would you reccomend

The Bushranger
2010-08-18, 03:30 PM
Howdy folks,

I'm in the process of building a character for a game, at 10th level (I'm starting Barbarian 8/Rogue 2). I'm considering what PrCs to aim for. I'm thinking Frenzied Bezerker, however, I was wondering. Since this particular character wields a spear (a Greatspear, in fact), are there any prestige classes that either are themed around the use of a spear, or would otherwise work well with a spear-wielding character?

Greenish
2010-08-18, 03:40 PM
Hmm, the only one I can think of is Stormlord (or something similar), and that's caster PrC.

Mephibosheth
2010-08-18, 03:52 PM
I don't know of any spear-specific melee classes, unfortunately. Couldn't find any on CrystalKeep either. The greatspear is an exotic weapon, so you could take Exotic Weapon Master, though the exotic weapons stunts that you could apply to a greatspear are only OK. Still, it brings some interesting options to the table.

nargbop
2010-08-18, 06:32 PM
Exotic Weapon Master , Kensai , a high level or two in Swordsage or Warblade.
War Hulk if you're into that.

Gan The Grey
2010-08-18, 09:36 PM
Go into Fighter and use all your bonus feats to pick up all the spear-specific feats in the Dragon Compendium. Lotsa good stuff there.

Crasical
2010-08-18, 09:51 PM
Exotic Weapon Master , Kensai , a high level or two in Swordsage or Warblade.
War Hulk if you're into that.

slight tangent: Is Kensai any good? I was kind of unimpressed with it when I first looked at it. The class abilities seemed to be 'self enchant weapons by pouring exp into them' and 'give someone your savings throws', which are tempered by being able to fall like a paladin if you oppose your lord, and losing the exp if your weapon is sundered/possibly dying if the person with your save-gift is killed. Plus, I think the requirement for it is that one be lawful, which wouldn't work if the person started as a barbarian.

Gan The Grey
2010-08-18, 11:33 PM
slight tangent: Is Kensai any good? I was kind of unimpressed with it when I first looked at it. The class abilities seemed to be 'self enchant weapons by pouring exp into them' and 'give someone your savings throws', which are tempered by being able to fall like a paladin if you oppose your lord, and losing the exp if your weapon is sundered/possibly dying if the person with your save-gift is killed. Plus, I think the requirement for it is that one be lawful, which wouldn't work if the person started as a barbarian.

Kensai is really only any good if you want to learn how to throw your fists. Or face. Or any other body part.

gomipile
2010-08-18, 11:41 PM
The Skirmish ability works very well with reach weapons if you have ranks in tumble, or some way to spring attack. Thus, Highland Stalker or levels in Scout might be nice, depending on what you're going for.

Crasical
2010-08-19, 12:10 AM
Kensai is really only any good if you want to learn how to throw your fists. Or face. Or any other body part.

... What?

I'm going to guess that you mean you can enchant your Unarmed Attacks with Throwing? :smalleek: So your fists or whatever rocket off 10 feet away to smack someone. Uh.

Well, that's fairly ridiculous.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-08-19, 01:45 AM
Regardless of what you start with, I'd finish the build Divine Crusader 3/ Stormlord 9, both from Complete Divine. That leaves you eight levels to work with, which must grant a +7 BAB, so your Barbarian/Rogue idea will still work. However, going Barbarian 8/ Rogue 2 is just... Yuck!

First of all, you should seriously consider the Martial Rogue (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#rogue) variant from UA. It loses sneak attack, and gains Fighter bonus feats at the same levels that the Fighter class grants them (1st, 2nd, and every even level after). That makes Rogue 4 a spectacular choice for this type of character, you'll get Trapfinding, Evasion, Uncanny Dodge, and three bonus feats, while only missing out on one point of BAB. Wilderness Rogue (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#rogueVariantWilderness Rogue) can be combined with this, which could be more fitting for the character but is entirely a matter of personal taste. Definitely take Rogue at your 1st character level for more skill points at x4.

Consider taking one of the variant Barbarians (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#barbarianVariantTotemB arbarian) from UA, preferably Wolf Totem. That gets you Improved Trip without having to take Combat Expertise and with no Int score prerequisite, and having that enables you to get Knock-Down (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#knockDown), which is just amazing. Your Barbarian levels won't grant Uncanny Dodge or Trap Sense, but you'll still get both of those from your Rogue levels anyway. You should have enough spare feats to pick up Extra Rage in CW.

That means go Martial (Wilderness) Rogue 4/ Wolf Totem Barbarian 4/ Divine Crusader of Talos 3/ Stormlord 9. I'd make the first eight levels go R,B,B,R,B,R,B,R, for 1st level skill points and to keep up your Rogue skills. Your chosen domain should be Wrath if available, it doesn't appear on Talos' list because it didn't exist when those books were printed but it suits him perfectly. Get Power Attack (R1), Endurance (1), Great Fortitude (H), Improved Trip (B2), Knock-Down (3), EWP: Greatspear (CW) (R2), Extra Rage (6), Weapon Focus: Greatspear (R4), and Leap Attack (9). Future feats should be Practiced Spellcaster (12), Quicken Spell (15), and maybe Improved Critical: Greatspear (18). You should wear light armor because you'll lose Evasion in medium or heavier, so Mithral Breastplate should do. Get a +1 Animated Heavy Steel Shield starting out, a +1 Brash Greatspear, and anything else you think would be necessary.

The Bushranger
2010-08-19, 01:58 AM
Hmm. That's a pretty good idea there, thanks muchly. :smallsmile:

What if I started out with Barb 8/Ranger 2, though? I realised that the Rogue levels wouldn't work as well (both mechanically, and with the fluff), and I forgot about the Rogue variants.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-08-19, 02:17 AM
Hmm. That's a pretty good idea there, thanks muchly. :smallsmile:

What if I started out with Barb 8/Ranger 2, though? I realised that the Rogue levels wouldn't work as well (both mechanically, and with the fluff), and I forgot about the Rogue variants.

With my build, starting out at level 10 you'll need to be (X #/Y # totaling 8 levels)/ Divine Crusader 2. You need 3rd level spells to qualify for Stormlord, which you get at Divine Crusader 3, and you want to have nine levels of Stormlord. That means your final build needs to go (X #/Y # totaling 8 levels)/ Divine Crusader 3/ Stormlord 9. Forget Barbarian 8, you can take the feat Extra Rage and be better off and none of the other class features are even worth the level investment. It's actually a spectacular build for both damage output and being useful outside of combat, I'd definitely consider playing it.

Edit: I forgot all about Combat Reflexes, which you'll want to have when using a reach weapon. Wear armor spikes as well so you still threaten adjacent squares. Drop EWP from the original build for Combat Reflexes, and Weapon Focus should be for Longspear.

Greymane
2010-08-19, 05:19 AM
... What?

I'm going to guess that you mean you can enchant your Unarmed Attacks with Throwing? :smalleek: So your fists or whatever rocket off 10 feet away to smack someone. Uh.

Well, that's fairly awesome.

Fixed that for you.

Knaight
2010-08-19, 07:46 AM
Use warblade levels for the next few, take manuevers that seem to fit well with a spear style. Most of the more pure melee ToB PrCs apply and can be qualified for with only a few warblade levels.

sdream
2010-08-19, 08:35 AM
If the magic item compendium is allowed, make sure you add the cheap changeling spear property to your weapon (I think it's just 2000 gp).

This allows you to convert your spear to a shortspear, longspear or normal spear as desired. Get yourself a source of enlarge person and you could really be stomping up all sorts of ranges.

Mix it with some method of knockback or trip and fun times can be had.

Crasical
2010-08-19, 12:01 PM
Fixed that for you.

Only if you remember to enchant them with Returning too. Otherwise they shoot off and then fall to the ground. Even if you enchant them with Returning, how are you going to catch theM?

... Actually, that could be pretty cool for Dhalsim-esque stretching limbs. Hmm.