PDA

View Full Version : Is Pompey...

Cybertoy00
2010-08-18, 04:10 PM
...Lirian and Dorukan's son? I ask this because, after reading Start of Darkness, I wondered if their relationship went that far.
My reasoning for this is, without a doubt, very stupid.
1) Pompey is half-elf, half human.
2) Lirian is an elf while Dorukan is human. (Duh)
3) Pompey is 43 years old, probably born within the time between when the Order of the Scribble disbanded and Xykon Soul Binds Lirian.

Mind you, this is all based on the fact that Pompey is the ONLY elf-human hybrid seen in the series. And for those of you who say, "Pompey's evil, he can't be their kid" let me point out that growing up without parents can turn a lot of people evil.
In any case, I accept this theory is incredibly weak. In fact, I [I]know[I] it's weak. But I'm willing to throw out possiblities and see what anyone thinks.

SPoD
2010-08-18, 04:16 PM
What I think is that this was a terrible theory the first 47 times someone proposed it, and it hasn't gotten any stronger. As you said, it rests solely on the assumption that Pompey is the only half-elf in the world, which is a pretty weak assumption. It's right up there with "Thog and Therkla are siblings!"

Especially since the Giant has said that the primary reason there aren't MORE half-elves is that he thinks the silly one-ear gag would get in the way of the story now.

Valifor
2010-08-18, 04:24 PM
Especially since the Giant has said that the primary reason there aren't MORE half-elves is that he thinks the silly one-ear gag would get in the way of the story now.

i never got why he used that gag anyways. and it's not like that's one that would be hard to overcome. just say that some half-elves have one elf ear like Pompey, and others have only slightly pointy ears (like half-elves in the real PHB). not that Cyberyot's theory has anymore merit because of that, i'm just saying.

SPoD
2010-08-18, 04:33 PM
i never got why he used that gag anyways. and it's not like that's one that would be hard to overcome. just say that some half-elves have one elf ear like Pompey, and others have only slightly pointy ears (like half-elves in the real PHB).

Because it's tedious and unnecessary to explain stuff like that in a comic strip, especially when it's easier to simply not use half-elves?

Zeta Kai
2010-08-18, 06:34 PM
If & when there is a plot-related reason to have half-elves appear, then there will be half-elves. Until then, there will be no half-elves. Just like with anything else that could be in the comic.

137beth
2010-08-18, 06:49 PM
Yea, it is pretty weak. At least Pompey uses illusions...but he doesn't specialize in them either. Even if he did, it wouldn't be much of a case.

Morquard
2010-08-18, 08:20 PM
Yea, it is pretty weak. At least Pompey uses illusions...but he doesn't specialize in them either. Even if he did, it wouldn't be much of a case.
OMG, Girard disguised as Dorukan and had a child with Lirian!

Ok, thats just as silly...

Darthteej
2010-08-18, 10:18 PM

He's a wizard, not a sorcerer, genetics affect nothing when it comes to what he chooses to learn.

factotum
2010-08-19, 01:38 AM
i never got why he used that gag anyways. and it's not like that's one that would be hard to overcome. just say that some half-elves have one elf ear like Pompey, and others have only slightly pointy ears (like half-elves in the real PHB).

How would you draw a half-elf with "slightly pointy ears" in the art style used for this strip? It's a stick figure comic--the differences between races etc. have to be drawn with pretty broad strokes to be distinguishable.

Setra
2010-08-19, 01:50 AM
How would you draw a half-elf with "slightly pointy ears" in the art style used for this strip? It's a stick figure comic--the differences between races etc. have to be drawn with pretty broad strokes to be distinguishable.
He could draw an elf with a beard.

Dr.Epic
2010-08-19, 02:27 AM
...Lirian and Dorukan's son? I ask this because, after reading Start of Darkness, I wondered if their relationship went that far.
My reasoning for this is, without a doubt, very stupid.
1) Pompey is half-elf, half human.
2) Lirian is an elf while Dorukan is human. (Duh)
3) Pompey is 43 years old, probably born within the time between when the Order of the Scribble disbanded and Xykon Soul Binds Lirian.

Mind you, this is all based on the fact that Pompey is the ONLY elf-human hybrid seen in the series. And for those of you who say, "Pompey's evil, he can't be their kid" let me point out that growing up without parents can turn a lot of people evil.
In any case, I accept this theory is incredibly weak. In fact, I [I]know[I] it's weak. But I'm willing to throw out possiblities and see what anyone thinks.

So because Pompey could be their son it's a high possibility? Based on the fact he looks nothing like neither parent (even by stick figure standards). Well if he is their son, Roy, Haley, and Elan have to be related because their all human, and Thog and Therkla are siblings too.

factotum
2010-08-19, 06:44 AM
You forgot to mention that Serini is clearly Belkar's grandmother! :smallbiggrin:

Nilan8888
2010-08-19, 07:34 AM
In any case, I accept this theory is incredibly weak. In fact, I know it's weak. But I'm willing to throw out possiblities and see what anyone thinks.

Er... if you know it's incredibly weak, why would you throw it out there?

The thing is just becuase there's a theoretical possibility to link certain characters together doesn't mean you should. Something like this has the off-putting effect of making Rich's world a lot smaller.

Let's compare this to say, Darth Vader being Luke's father. Why is that a good idea and Pompey being the son of Lirian and Durokan a bad idea?

Because: there is a causal linkage of characters between Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader. Luke is pulled into the Rebellion BECAUSE of his father's past associates and foes. When Luke gets into all this, the framework is already established of Obi-Wan guiding him, as well as a few unseen characters (at that point) like Leia's father presumedly moving pieces around. We come into Star Wars "in media res" and fromt he get-go there's an established link of sorts between Luke and Vader. We're just given an alternate story for half the first trilogy as to what that link is.

Pompey being the son of Lirian and Durokan has no such link. It would mean that, by TOTAL COOINCIDENCE, the Linear Guild stumbled upon the son of Lirian and Durokan. Of all the half-elves in the world, they just happen upon that one?

There's a difference between the hero shooting the "million to one" arrow and two entirely different plot threads intersecting through the same "million to one" odds. At the very least there'd need to be a very good, if not critical reason for that to take place, which I don't see.

In my view Pompey's gone, and he ain't comin' back.

Poppy Appletree
2010-08-19, 07:54 AM
Let's compare this to say, Darth Vader being Luke's father. Why is that a good idea and Pompey being the son of Lirian and Durokan a bad idea?

It's pretty likely that Darth Vader was written as Luke's father after the first movie was made, so this isn't a terribly good example. :smallconfused:

Kish
2010-08-19, 08:06 AM
It's pretty likely that Darth Vader was written as Luke's father after the first movie was made, so this isn't a terribly good example. :smallconfused:
It's well known that Darth Vader being Luke's father was something added during filming of Empire Strikes Back, in fact.

hamishspence
2010-08-19, 08:11 AM
It's well known that Darth Vader being Luke's father was something added during filming of Empire Strikes Back, in fact.

I thought George Lucas had the most basic outline of all 3 movies, and the prequels, lined out from the beginning- and simply kept Vader as Luke's father secret until the last minute, on Empire Strikes Back?

Nilan8888
2010-08-19, 08:15 AM
It's pretty likely that Darth Vader was written as Luke's father after the first movie was made, so this isn't a terribly good example

I'd counter that it's the perfect example, since it's exactly the situation that this theory would likely be.

The fact that the decision to make Vader Luke's father came later isn't really the point. Whether or not that decision had been made the mechanisms were already present in the first movie to establish a connection: it was just that the first movie went forward on the logic that the connection was that Vader was the murderer of Luke's father.

More than likely the situation here would be such that Pompey would be made to be L&D's son after the character had been created and put into the story. If not, Rich as waited a really, really, really long time for that other shoe to drop (and is still waiting).

I thought George Lucas had the most basic outline of all 3 movies, and the prequels, lined out from the beginning- and simply kept Vader as Luke's father secret until the last minute, on Empire Strikes Back?

No, Poppy is right -- sort of. Vader was more or less intended to be Luke's father's murderer as was said in Star Wars at the beginning, but Lucas wasn't overly committed to the idea. It was during his brainstorming for ESB he decided to make the switch.

Lucas's outline for all his films tended to be a bit more broad: he knew he wanted a city in the clouds, for instance, for a long time. And he knew other various bits and details. But a fair amount of each story wasn't decided on until the movie went into effect.

Dr.Epic
2010-08-19, 09:55 AM
You forgot to mention that Serini is clearly Belkar's grandmother! :smallbiggrin:

Don't be stupid. Belkar went back in time and impregnated a halfling who gave birth to Serini.

Bongos
2010-08-19, 10:19 AM
ah Pompey. THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

Goosefarble
2010-08-19, 10:28 AM
It's a theory, I'll give you that. The half-elf thing wouldn't be that difficult to get round either, as most characters in the comic are shown with only one ear facing the reader anyway. If they then turned round and the other side of their head didn't have the ear, it'd be pretty self-evident. Actually, bad idea - that'd start up a whole new threads about THE MYSTERIOUS BLUNTENING EAR.

Anyway, not here to rag on your theory, you said it's weak yourself. I won't believe it personally, as it would seem kind of hackneyed. Pompey is far too minor a character for it to be of any note. Now if HALEY was Girard's daughter, THAT'd be a story! IT ALL MAKES SENSE PEOPLE, THEY BOTH HAVE RED HAIR.

Nimrod's Son
2010-08-20, 12:42 AM
Yeah, that's what he tells everyone these days.

factotum
2010-08-20, 01:33 AM
Yeah, that's what he tells everyone these days.

Yes, it's amazing how many people forget--or never noticed--that the "Episode IV" part was only added to the opening crawl after Star Wars was a success. :smallwink:

Nimrod's Son
2010-08-20, 01:40 AM
Also there was the Splinter of the Mind's Eye novel, a "sequel" released shortly after the first film and fully sanctioned by Lucas, which climaxes with Luke meeting up with Vader again and (thanks to his new-found Jedi powers) totally kicking his ass. No mention of father/son relationships or even that Luke is still not ready for such a confrontation.

Almost like Lucas wasn't sure where the story was going at that point, eh? :smallwink:

hamishspence
2010-08-20, 02:50 AM
Most of the EU novels are "fully sanctioned".

Interestingly, despite the fact that George Lucas had "Chancellor" in mind for the ruler of the Old Republic, the novelization of Star Wars: A New Hope, written by the same guy (Alan Dean Foster) that wrote Splinters, calls him "President Palpatine".

Nimrod's Son
2010-08-20, 03:22 AM
Most of the EU novels are "fully sanctioned".

This was the only one that existed at the time.

DragonOfUndeath
2010-08-20, 03:59 AM
There's a difference between the hero shooting the "million to one" arrow and two entirely different plot threads intersecting through the same "million to one" odds. At the very least there'd need to be a very good, if not critical reason for that to take place, which I don't see.
:elan: million to one chance?? TAKE COVER!! everyone knows that a million to one chance is a sure thing.

Bongos
2010-08-20, 04:58 PM
In my view Pompey's gone, and he ain't comin' back.
What? No more Pompey? We never even got a chance to say goodbye. Farewell lone half-elf, farewell.

Urist McDwarf
2010-08-26, 04:26 PM

Maybe he could just have half elves not have ambiguous genders? :smalltongue:

Dr.Epic
2010-08-26, 04:33 PM

Celia's ears are a lot bigger than the elves'. Rich just could have made elves' ears a lot bigger than half elf ears.

Crisis21
2010-08-26, 04:34 PM
Celia's ears are a lot bigger than the elves'. Rich just could have made elves' ears a lot bigger than half elf ears.

True, but then the comedic effect would have been greatly lessened.

Dr.Epic
2010-08-26, 04:45 PM
True, but then the comedic effect would have been greatly lessened.

So, would a half dwarf only have facial hair one half of their face?

Crisis21
2010-08-26, 04:47 PM
So, would a half dwarf only have facial hair one half of their face?

They probably would!

Dr.Epic
2010-08-26, 04:48 PM
They probably would!

And would a half halfling only have on hair foot?

CoffeeIncluded
2010-08-26, 04:49 PM

Also, if you make the half-elf ears shorter than the elf ears, it doesn't look as good. It looks kinda ugly.

I know, I tried. One of the main characters in my comic is a half-elf. I tried doing the shorter-elf-ear thing, but it turned out ugly and still difficult to easily distinguish from full-elf ears. So I decided that she'd have the pointy ear on her left side and her brother would have the pointy ear on his right side.

Crisis21
2010-08-26, 04:51 PM

No, they'd wear only one shoe.

Dr.Epic
2010-08-26, 04:55 PM
No, they'd wear only one shoe.

Some characters don't wear any shoes (Durkon, V).

Crisis21
2010-08-26, 05:19 PM
Some characters don't wear any shoes (Durkon, V).

How do you know? Elan himself recently said that he thought he was barefoot in the early comics, which implies that he wasn't.

Dr.Epic
2010-08-26, 05:21 PM
How do you know? Elan himself recently said that he thought he was barefoot in the early comics, which implies that he wasn't.

But to the viewer it all looks the same so how could we tell?

137beth
2010-08-26, 07:24 PM

Nah, they'd probably just have LESS hare on each foot...in the generic D&D setting. But in OOTS it seems reasonable.

Crisis21
2010-08-26, 09:44 PM
But to the viewer it all looks the same so how could we tell?
I think that was the whole joke....