PDA

View Full Version : Land of Snow IC

Critical
2010-08-18, 06:14 PM
OOC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9172772)

The world has been living in it's ordinary everyday life. At least for some time. Until that time, when the world has started slowly crumbling down in front of everyone's eyes...

The freezing came from the north, and slowly started engulfing the earth. The best mages of various cities have tried to stop the cold, but their efforts were futile. Many escaped to the other planes of existence, away from this god-forgotten dying place, many simply ran to the south in hopes of prolonging their survival. In about a week, everything was covered in snow and ice. People started dying of cold and the various diseases it has brought - a simple fireplace couldn't hold down the cold anymore. The whole world started giving up... But not the heroes that have came to undo the disaster.

You have been traveling together for a few days now, united by the same goal and by the fact, that if you would travel together you'd have more chances to survive. In pursuit of your main goal - finding whatever lies beyond the, so called, "Iceocalypse", you, of course, went to the source - the north. Traveling to the north was hard and as you were moving there you could easily feel the weather getting colder and colder, perhaps, from the passing time, perhaps because of the fact you were moving north, perhaps both - you're not sure. However it was certain that something should be done quickly.

After two days, you come upon a village, which appears to be surrounded by some kind of force field. There are a few people in the town, and when someone notices you, a man in blue robes with a strange symbol on his chest - a two-towered keep atop a gray glacier. He comes up to you, greeting you.

"What is that, survivors? Ow, alright, I'll open the field for ya, just come in quickly."

He waves does some hand gestures and says a few words, and you can feel the force that suppresses the field slightly weakening in the spot before you, allowing you to pass. As you do, he repeats the procedure, most likely, to close the weakened gap. You notice that it's rather warm here, compared to the outside.

"We certainly didn't expect guests... So, what does bring you here?" - the man inquires as you come in.

Roll knowledge checks on whatever you'd like to know and make your introductions! :smallwink:

Ranger Mattos
2010-08-18, 07:32 PM
Near the back of the company, an elf with snow-white skin and silvery clothes speaks up. "We have come north to try to find out what has happened to the world," Isa Wessiaus says.

ToySoldierCPlus
2010-08-18, 10:21 PM
Towards the front, a male human, standing just under six feet tall, wearing thick furs and boots, gloves, a wool cap and wool coat, flanked by a gray wolf, speaks:

"Tell me, have any other refugees come through this way? I am searching for my tribe."

Tyrael
2010-08-19, 01:43 AM
The tribal man's gray wolf is the subject of intense interest from a second wolf. This wolf is an enormous creature, nearly the size of a horse and covered in dark gray fur with streaks of black running through its coat.

Standing next to the wolf is a young man waddled in a thick and tattered brown cloak made all the heavier by the snow clinging to it and weighing the soaking garment down. A huge axe is balanced across his shoulders, and his youthful face is haggard and drawn from exposure. He shakes a sodden mop of black hair out of his eyes and gives a weary smile towards the man in the robes.

"Thankee kindly sir," the man tells the robed man with the laconic drawl of a farming peasant. "I don't mean to be intrudin' none on yer hospitality. I just bin walkin' up north with my dog to look fer whatever might be makin' Old Man Winter give such a hootin' fuss this year."

Beside him, the huge dark wolf shakes a layer of snow off his coat before pricking his ears up and staring dominantly down at the smaller wolf beside the tribal man. The wolf bares his teeth, his tail rising slightly in a threat display.

The display ends as abruptly as it begins as the wolf suddenly quiets down and looks at the man with the axe he came in with. The man twitches his head, and the enormous wolf lays down in the snow with a huffing sigh.

Meanwhile, the man gives a disarming smile at the robed man as though nothing had happened. "I ain't heard of no settlement up 'round here with magic all 'round it," he comments as he looks around at the magical force field. "How'd you folk all git here?"

Alth Falath
2010-08-19, 05:37 PM
Nathan looks around intrigued, quite impressed by the field. With this warmth, it would make the harsh winters far less of a trial for his tribe. He waits in the back quietly, intrigued to hear the mans explanation of the magical field.

Archdeacon GX
2010-08-19, 06:22 PM
In the midst of the group stands a pale woman -- almost unnaturally pale, her skin seeming white as the snow around her at first glance, like the elf, Isa. Starkly contrasting her pale skin, raven-black hair hangs a few inches past her shoulders, framing her troubled face. She remains silent, as she has for most of the past few days which she has traveled with the party, and perhaps longer.

She glances around curiously at the force-field, impressed by the magic at work, and somewhat glad to be at least faintly warmer...although she cannot help but feel a little uneasy, having grown so used to the chill, so strangely attuned to it. Still, she finds herself drawing her blanket -- which she has been using as a cloak -- closer around herself.

Critical
2010-08-20, 07:07 AM
"Well, you're probably at the right place, since everything started on the north!" - the man replied to Isa, whle turning and walking towards the centre of the village, signing you to follow him. - "About the clan refugees... I don't know, maybe, but I'm not sure why would they. About the settlement... The great Aengrist brought us here to protect this innocent citizents!"

Finally, he leads you to the heart of the village, where there can be seen various men and women dressed in the same clothes as the man who led you here, treating the ill and the wounded, amongst them was one middle-aged man in his late thirties, dressed in brighter colors than others. You are led up to him.

"High priest Dustan, these brave heroes came here to find out what's happening to the world and try to help it!"

"Really? Well, we might just have a job for them..." - Dustan takes a pause, looking everyone over.

ToySoldierCPlus
2010-08-21, 12:15 AM
Mordecai looks slightly crestfallen to hear that the guard doesn't know. "I see. Well, I'm going to ask around a bit, anyway."

Upon being introduced to High Priest Dustan, Mordecai introduces himself:
"Greetings, High Priest. I am Mordecai. I have come with these others to, as your man said, investigate this sudden, and, I fear, unnatural winter. Additionally, as I asked your man just now, I am also searching fro my tribe. We became separated when the world froze, and I was unable to find them. I fear them lost, but this settlement has given me a measure of hope that they may yet be safe, even if they are not here. Your man was unsure, so I now ask you: Have you seen them? There would have been about 80 of them, give or take, dressed much like me."

Ranger Mattos
2010-08-25, 05:38 PM
Isa's face turns slightly more interested when Dustan mentions a job. "And exactly what job would that be, your holiness?" he asks.

Tyrael
2010-08-25, 05:59 PM
The axe-wielding peasant tilts his head curiously almost at the same time as his wolf. Both of them are quiet, waiting for an explanation.

Archdeacon GX
2010-09-13, 08:33 PM
The raven-haired woman silently waits, looking around at the people of the village, and the swirling magical field all around them which shields them from the cold. It is all so relieving to at last be among a settled group of people, and vague memories of her childhood flit through her mind. Such happy times. But this village looks nothing like her home, the people are so much more rugged, the land so different...it is odd, she decides, that a settlement with so few similarities to her home would remind her of it.

She pauses and turns out towards the tundra as a howling gust of wind blows solemnly outside. Something out there calls for her, beckons her. The ice and snow have become her home, her domain...out there awaits a comfortable misery.

Reining in her idle thoughts, she turns her troubled eyes back to the High Priest, awaiting answers still.

Critical
2010-09-14, 08:21 AM
The high priest nods. "Our divinations have told us, that the source of this disaster is near, less than in a week's walk. We couldn't get more details out of it. Your job is to scout ahead and tell the information you have to us, then we'll make our plan on how to deal with it. I need people here to help around and to treat the damaged. Will you take the job, adventurers" - he asks in his clear like ice sounding voice, looking everyone again, slightly bothered that Rose wasn't paying attention for some moment, but not saying anything about it.

Everyone
Alright, lets get this back on track! Sorry for the delay. :smallredface:

Rose
You notice people in robes of other color than blue, too, though they're more rare than those in blue. You notice that there are not only humans, but also a decent amount of uldras around.

Ranger Mattos
2010-09-14, 03:37 PM
"Of course we will," Isa says as he bows slightly. "Well, unless any of the others have any objections?" the snow elf looks around at the other members of his party.

ToySoldierCPlus
2010-09-14, 04:12 PM
Mordecai looks at Isa, and then back at the High Priest. I will go as well. It is better than waiting for news that may never come. I may even find them out there. Please, do me one favor, however. Keep an eye out for the people I have described to you. If you see them, tell them Mordecai has passed this way looking for them, and that he believes they should remain here.