PDA

View Full Version : Free and Simple RPG? (Preferably Diceless)

Fuzzie Fuzz
2010-08-18, 06:17 PM
I have about 14 hours of flight time tomorrow, plus a 2-hour layover at an airport, and I was thinking about teaching my sister, who has expressed interest in D&D, about RPGs. Thus I'm looking for a simple, easily learned RPG whose rules are free online. If the system is diceless, or uses very few dice, that's even better, since we'll be playing on a plane.

Thanks!

Ravens_cry
2010-08-18, 06:46 PM
Freeform?
Seriously, it's a good way to explain the basic concept of role playing games, playing pretend, without adding all the extraneous book keeping.

Raz_Fox
2010-08-18, 06:48 PM
In b4 Risus (http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/risus.htm). Seriously, give it a whirl - it works for anything, though I agree that freeform is also a good choice if you don't want to start out with dice and rules and such.

Squeejee
2010-08-18, 06:52 PM
I would suggest Swords & Wizardry, but it does require dice. I suggest it though because I converted a number of non-RPGers over to the light side with it.

Noneoyabizzness
2010-08-18, 06:59 PM
3.5 srd if you can find a document

Fuzzie Fuzz
2010-08-18, 07:10 PM
I may give freeform a whirl, but I think that to introduce her to the genre, I'll actually want a bit more structure, so that she has something to turn to when the question, "What do you do?" arrives.

I downloaded and printed the rules for Risus, that looks excellent! I have more d6 than I need anyways, and 6 at most isn't too bad.

I checked out S&W, but it seems a little rules- and dice-heavy for my purposes at the moment. I'll try it once we get back, perhaps.

3.5? What part of simple, preferably diceless, and "I'll be on a plane" didn't you understand? :smallwink:

Thanks all!

drengnikrafe
2010-08-18, 07:13 PM
3.5? What part of simple, preferably diceless, and "I'll be on a plane" didn't you understand? :smallwink:

The part where there were no snakes?