PDA

View Full Version : Sneak Attacking Barbarian

golem1972
2010-08-18, 06:19 PM
Player wants to play a barbarian that uses sneak attack instead of rage. I'm ok with it, but wonder what a balanced trade would be.
Sneak attack for just the Rage tree or rage + trap sense + Uncanny Dodge + DR + Fast Move, etc.. or somewhere in between?

Curmudgeon
2010-08-18, 06:56 PM
My guess is that it's probably OK if you substitute (all rage + DR + trap sense + fast movement) for sneak attack, but make it +1d6 every even level because that's where most of the rage stuff is (4/8/12/16/20). Just make sure that you definitely include fast movement in there, else your player will go for Lion Spiritual Token to get pounce at 1st level.

Wonton
2010-08-18, 08:58 PM
My guess is that it's probably OK if you substitute (all rage + DR + trap sense + fast movement) for sneak attack, but make it +1d6 every even level because that's where most of the rage stuff is (4/8/12/16/20). Just make sure that you definitely include fast movement in there, else your player will go for Lion Spiritual Token to get pounce at 1st level.

Essentially, then, the player is trading Evasion, Trapfinding, Trap Sense, and very good skills for d12 hit dice, full BAB, medium armor, martial weapons, and average skills. Seems balanced-ish, I think.

Edit: Except he's also losing Special Abilities. That might be a bit much. :\

Evard
2010-08-18, 09:38 PM
Just gestalt him! :D That should be fun in a box!

Starbuck_II
2010-08-18, 09:52 PM
Player wants to play a barbarian that uses sneak attack instead of rage. I'm ok with it, but wonder what a balanced trade would be.
Sneak attack for just the Rage tree or rage + trap sense + Uncanny Dodge + DR + Fast Move, etc.. or somewhere in between?

All Rage benefits (Greater, Tireless) for Sneak Attack every odd Level.
Simple.