PDA

View Full Version : Character Advice [3.5]

KingoftheTrees
2010-08-18, 06:41 PM
I have an idea for a character in our next campaign that I think would be kind of interesting to play, but I'm not sure if it'll work or not. I want to play a Warforged Fighter/wizard type character.

Here's my plan:
If our DM lets us make characters the same way he has for this campaign, it'll be 32 point buy, and I'll have stats like this:
Str: 14
Dex: 14
Con: 14
Int: 16
Wis: 10
Cha: 8

1st level, Racial Warforged Fighter level (Races of Eberron) (d12 hit die and a +3 to initiative)
Feat-Mithral Body
Lvls 2-6 will be Wizard
Lvl 7:Eldritch Knight
Lvl 8: Spellsword (for 10% reduction in failure chance)
Lvl 9-13: Abjurant Champion
Lvls 14-20: Eldritch Knight

This way I will (at 20th level) only lose 3 to my BAB and 2 to my caster level. I haven't though the feat progression too much, but I'm thinking item creations at some point.

Any advice/criticism is welcome!

Yorrin
2010-08-18, 06:48 PM
If you're starting at level 1 you're going to find that spell failure a serious annoyance till level 8. Not saying it's a deal breaker, but something strongly to consider. I cant think of any way around it off the top of my head, though I'm sure there are ways.

WarKitty
2010-08-18, 06:52 PM
What are you looking to get out of wizard? If you're just looking for casting it would be better to select some form of divine caster.

KingoftheTrees
2010-08-18, 06:55 PM
The spell failure is only 15% and I won't have to worry about it till level two. I've played a character that had spell failure % before and never had many problems. It'll mainly be a buffing character I think. But then, this is just an idea for a character. Hopefully our DM won't kill us this weekend and I'll have time to refine this idea.

BladeofOblivion
2010-08-18, 06:55 PM
If you're starting at level 1 you're going to find that spell failure a serious annoyance till level 8. Not saying it's a deal breaker, but something strongly to consider. I cant think of any way around it off the top of my head, though I'm sure there are ways.

You could Enchant your body as +1 Twilight. That would fix it.

Yorrin
2010-08-18, 06:56 PM
Found it!

Go with the Armored Mage ACF for the Fighter from Complete Mage, with Mithral Body as your first level feat. Eliminates the need for the Spellsword level altogether.

@WarKitty- just because Divine Casters can gish easier doesn't mean an arcane gish isn't still fun :smalltongue:

WarKitty
2010-08-18, 06:57 PM
The spell failure is only 15% and I won't have to worry about it till level two. I've played a character that had spell failure % before and never had many problems. It'll mainly be a buffing character I think. But then, this is just an idea for a character. Hopefully our DM won't kill us this weekend and I'll have time to refine this idea.

If you're looking for buffing, try a cleric. Same to better buffing ability, no spell failure.

KingoftheTrees
2010-08-18, 06:59 PM
I know, but I'm playing a cleric in this campaign and want to try something new. I know clerics have great buff spells, and I like casting but also wanna do some melee.

KingoftheTrees
2010-08-18, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the advice Yorrin. I looked up that ACF, but it says it only applies to spells of a level no higher than my fighter level +1.
So it wouldn't do me much good if I don't take more than one level of fighter. I also considered the Twilight enhancement, but that's what Spellsword does AND I'd get a +1 to bab and an increase to my caster level, and I'm sure there are a lot of good enhancements I could put on my body.

Yorrin
2010-08-18, 07:09 PM
it only applies to spells of a level no higher than my fighter level +1.

...I've somehow never noticed that line before. Yeah, no, it's a terrible idea, then. I'll keep looking, but if you're not worried about spell failure then I don't really have any other critique for your build.

EDIT: Preliminary search shows some special materials in Races of the Wild that reduce ASF, as well as Feycraft and Githcraft from DMG2 (though how those would work with a warforged I'm not sure...). They're 5% each, though I doubt you could get away with stacking more than two at a time.

FMArthur
2010-08-18, 07:20 PM
Have you considered playing a Psychic Warrior? They're melee combatants with fighter feats and tons of buff spells.

KingoftheTrees
2010-08-18, 07:34 PM
Thanks Yorrin. I could always ask my DM if my warforged could be crafted of many different metals... :) He's pretty lenient with a lot of stuff because he wants us to have fun.
Actually FMArthur, one idea I have for a character is a Psychic Warrior/pyrokineticist. :)

TooManyBadgers
2010-08-18, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the advice Yorrin. I looked up that ACF, but it says it only applies to spells of a level no higher than my fighter level +1.
With Spellsword/Twilight and retraining rules, that shouldn't be a problem.
You might need to rearrange levels, though.