PDA

View Full Version : Not just for Trolls and Ogres anymore!

AugustNights
2010-08-18, 07:04 PM
Inspired by the Improved Monster Classes thread started by Oslecamo, I have unbuilt and rebuilt the War-Troll and Ogre Mage as prestige classes. My intention is to offer the '---- Mage' an 'War-----' for any Goblinoid, Monstrous Humanoid, or Giant racial class, or race and class. I have decided to call these Goblin-Kin Shaman and War-Giant.

Goblin-Kin Shaman

Goblin-Kin Shaman Prerequisites
To become a Goblin-Kin Shaman, the character must meet the following requirements

Race: Any Goblinoid, Monstrous Humanoid, or Giant
Base Attack Bonus: +5
Special: Must have traveled to a far and distant continent in order to train under another Goblin-Kin Shaman.

HD: d6
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Sp-Darkness, Natural Caster, +1 Charisma|-

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|Sp-Charm Person, Spell Resistance|+1 level of Sorcerer

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+3|Flight, Sp-Sleep, Regeneration +1 Charisma|-

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Sp-Invisibility, Sp-Gaseous Form|+1 level of Sorcerer

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Sp-Cone of Cold, Sp-Alter Self +1 Charisma|-[/table]
Skills (4+Int Modifier): Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).

Proficiencies: A Goblin-Kin Shaman gains no new proficiencies with weapons or armor.

Spells per Day/Spells Known: At second and fourth level, an Goblin-Kin Shaman gains new spells per day and spells known as if he had also gained a level in Sorcerer. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained .

If an Goblin-Kin Shaman has no levels in sorcerer, this class feature has no effect.

Sp-Darkness(Sp): At first level the Goblin-Kin Shaman gains access to Darkness as a spell like ability. Caster level is equal to the character’s HD. He may use this ability at will.

Natural Caster: At first level the Goblin-Kin Shaman’s effective Caster Level for all Sorcerer spells is increased by 1. This increased caster level affects only spells that the character can cast; it does not give him access to higher-level spells or more spells per day. This increases again by one at 3rd and 5th level as well.

Sp-Charm Person(Sp): At Second level the Goblin-Kin Shaman gains access to Charm Person as a spell like ability. Caster level is equal to the character’s HD, DC is equal to 11+Charisma modifier. He may use this ability at will.

Spell Resistance: At second level the Goblin-Kin Shaman gains spell resistance equal to 12+his HD.

Flight (Su): At third level the Goblin-Kin Shaman gains a supernatural fly speed of 40 feet, with good maneuverability.

Sp-Sleep(Sp): At third level the Goblin-Kin Shaman gains access to Sleep as a spell like ability. Caster level is equal to the character’s HD, DC is equal to 11+Charisma modifier. He may use this ability 1/day.

Regeneration(Ex): At third Level the Goblin-Kin Shaman gains Regeneration (Fire and Acid) equal to their Goblin-Kin Shaman Class Level, if the Goblin-Kin Shaman already has Regeneration (Fire and Acid) from another source (i.e. Troll) this stacks with it.

Sp-Invisibility(Sp): At fourth level the Goblin-Kin Shaman gains access to Invisibility as a spell like ability. Caster level is equal to the character’s HD. He may use this ability at will.

Sp-Gaseous Form(Sp): At fourth level the Goblin-Kin Shaman gains access to Gaseous Form as a spell like ability. Caster level is equal to the character’s HD. He may use this ability 1/day.

Sp-Cone of Cold(Sp): At Fifth level the Goblin-Kin Shaman gains access to Cone of Cold as a spell like ability. Caster level is equal to the character’s HD, DC is equal to 15+Charisma modifier. He may use this ability 1/day.

Change Shape(Su): At fifth level the Goblin-Kin Shaman change their form similar to the Alter Self spell, however he may assume the form of a creature of the following types, Humanoid, Giant, Humanoid, and Monstrous Humanoid. He may use this ability at will, and he may stay within that form indefinitely.

War-Giant

War-Giant Shaman Prerequisites
To become a War-Giant, the character must meet the following requirements

Race: Any Goblinoid, Monstrous Humanoid, or Giant
Base Attack Bonus: +5
Feats Martial Weapon Proficiency, Weapon Focus (Martial Weapon), Power Attack.
Special: Must undergo a magical ritual of the War-Giants, this ritual requires an magically treated skull of a specially bred troll.

HD: d8
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Imp. Darkvision, Fast Movement, +1 Str, +1 Dex,

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|Dazing Blow, Thick Hide, +1 Str, +1 Dex

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|Regeneration Bonus, +1 Str, +1 Wis

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|Spell Resistance, Growth, +1 Str, +1 Wis

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1|Fire-proof, Adamant Hide, +1 Con, +1 Cha[/table]
Skills (2+Int Modifier): Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).

Proficiencies: A War-Giant gains proficiency with all simple and martial weapons and with light and medium armor but not with shields.

Improved Darkvision(Ex): At first level the War-Giant’s Darkvision extends by 30ft. If the War-Giant does not have Darkvision it gains Darkvision 30ft.

Fast Movement(Ex): At first level the War-Giant’s land speed is faster than the norm for his race by +10 feet. Apply this bonus before modifying the War-Giant’s speed because of any load carried or armor worn.

Dazing Blow(Ex): At second level the force of a War-Giant’s blow can be overwhelming. If a War-Giant hits with a manufactured weapon or natural weapon, the opponent must make a DC (10+1/2 The War-Giant’s HD+ Con Modifier) Fortitude save or be dazed for 1 round.

Thick Hide(Ex): At second level the War-Giant gains a bonus to Natural armor class equal to Con Modifier.

Regeneration Bonus(Ex): At third level the War-Giant gains a bonus to his regeneration equal to his War-Giant class level, If the War-Giant has no previous regeneration ability, he gains Regeneration (Acid, and Fire) equal to his War-Giant class level.

Spell Resistance: At fourth level the War-Giant gains spell resistance equal to 12+ his HD.

Growth: At fourth level a War-Giant of medium size or smaller increases in one size category. This has no effect on any creature that was already large size or larger.

Fire Proof(Ex): At firth level the War-Giant is no longer vulnerable fire, remove Fire from the war-tongue’s regeneration. If fire was not part of the War-Giant previous regeneration, this class feature has no effect.

Adamant Hide(Ex): At fifth level the War-Giant gains Damage Reduction equal to his Con Modifier, this damage reduction is only penetrated by Adamantine Weapons.

Thoughts?

DracoDei
2010-08-18, 07:41 PM
Nice idea... actually a bit off-target with mythology, since Ogre Magi are not only a different species, but from a completely different mythos originally (Oriental vs European). Don't know if you actually care.

AugustNights
2010-08-18, 09:15 PM
I was under the impression that Ogre Magi were a prodigy among Ogres, like men among Gerudo, or Mutants and Malenti among Sahuagin. But it is interesting to know that they come from a different mythos. Still, I'd rather open it up to other races as well.

devinkowalczyk
2010-08-18, 11:45 PM
Didn't they make a level by level progression of both of them in the savage species?

AugustNights
2010-08-19, 01:44 AM
For the full Ogre Mage yes. The War Troll I do not believe can be found in that book, if I am not mistaken the War Troll was released after Savage Species.

Regardless these classes are intended to more open than a War Troll or Ogre Mage class progressions. They are intended to allow for things like War-Goblins, or a Troll Mage. Hell, if you have enough levels I figure a War-Bugbear Mage might be quite fun. It's really about allowing any beasty, ugly, green/grey/yellow-skinned, baddie-type player access to the same sort of expansion offered to the Ogre and the Troll.

137beth
2010-08-19, 09:53 AM
Hmm, nice idea! I am personally not a huge fan of 5-level prestige classes, but I see it could be useful for creating NPCs.

Aran Banks
2010-08-19, 11:31 AM
Your spell-like abilities are all listed as supernatural, and you listed charm person where you should have listed sleep (not in the table; in the class description).

AugustNights
2010-08-19, 01:04 PM
That's strange, I didn't know spell like abilities had thier own label. Must be that whole super natural abilities '...are not subject to spell resistance, counterspells, or to being dispelled by dispel magic...' and '...supernatural abilities do not provoke attacks of opportunity and never require Concentration checks.'

Thanks for the corrections.

Eldan
2010-08-19, 03:51 PM
From what I understood, Ogre Mages were supposed to be mostly based on Oni. Doesn't mean that these classes up there aren't cool, though, or that you can't change the fluff to make them ogre prodigies.