PDA

View Full Version : I can has at-will Teleportation?

Yorrin
2010-08-18, 07:37 PM
Yeah, as the title implies I'm trying to get at-will teleportation on an NPC I'm going to be running. Obviously I could just rule 0 it, but I like to build my NPCs legitimately. I could also give him a custom magic item, but that feels like a cop-out.

In terms of relevant build info- he's human. And he's got one of his first level feats picked already (Spellfire Wielder, but it's not a FR campaign. I pretty much toss every campaign setting together in my homebrew games.)

So yeah, is this possible? Some obscure feat chain or prestige class maybe? My internet searching is failing me here.

I'm not looking for the reserve feat here- I'm looking for a long-distance teleport (as the spell of the same name or the greater version thereof). Any sourcebook or dragon magazine is okay. level cap of 20.

What I'm currently doing is an Dragonmark Heir with a Mark of Passage and the Wayfarer Guide PrC, netting him a total of 3/day Teleport and a few dimension doors and dimension leaps. I'm thinking about being satisfied with this.

Problem solved, thanks to Kylarra, who reminded me of the Incantation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/incantations.htm) system. This is what I'm going with.

gomipile
2010-08-18, 07:44 PM
There's a reserve feat that lets you teleport 5 feet per spell level of the highest level teleportation school spell you have prepared at will. I think its in Complete Arcane?

Edit: I was wrong, its in Complete Mage.

Jack_Simth
2010-08-18, 07:44 PM
There's a reserve feat that lets you teleport 5 feet per spell level of the highest level teleportation school spell you have prepared at will. I think its in Complete Arcane?
Assuming 3.5...

Dimensional Jaunt (Complete Mage) requires 4th level spells, and as long as you have a 4th level Conjouration(Teleportation) spell of 4th level or higher ready (known, with a slot of that level available, if you're spontaneous; prepared if you're not), lets you take a standard action to teleport 5 feet per spell level of the spell ready.

Yorrin
2010-08-18, 07:45 PM

Ah, quite true. I apologize for not being clear enough (I'll edit the first post to reflect this). The teleport I'm looking for needs to be long-distance (as the spell of the same name or the greater version thereof).

Jack_Simth
2010-08-18, 07:50 PM
Ah, quite true. I apologize for not being clear enough (I'll edit the first post to reflect this). The teleport I'm looking for needs to be long-distance (as the spell of the same name or the greater version thereof).
Hmm... well, if you can regularly make a DC 15 Intelligence check, and don't need precision, then The Amulet of the Planes (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#amuletofthePlanes) can handle it (Plane Shift away, and Plane Shift back).

If you don't mind playable monsters, there's the Hezrou, Succubus, Bearded Devil, and Erinyes.

Yorrin
2010-08-18, 07:52 PM
Hmm... well, if you can regularly make a DC 15 Intelligence check, and don't need precision, then The Amulet of the Planes (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#amuletofthePlanes) can handle it (Plane Shift away, and Plane Shift back).

Creative. I appreciate that. Yeah, the intelligence check is doable, but I might at well just give him a custom item of teleportation if I'm going to give him an item for teleportation.

gomipile
2010-08-18, 07:52 PM
The Player's Guide to Faerūn version of Innate Spell will let you do it 3 times per day in exchange for permanently giving up a spell slot of the same level as the spell.

Yorrin
2010-08-18, 07:54 PM
The Player's Guide to Faerūn version of Innate Spell will let you do it 3 times per day in exchange for permanently giving up a spell slot of the same level as the spell.

Not bad. I was hoping to get this done without being a full caster, but this is a solid backup option.

gomipile
2010-08-18, 07:58 PM
Creative. I appreciate that. Yeah, the intelligence check is doable, but I might at well just give him a custom item of teleportation if I'm going to give him an item for teleportation.

Yeah. 5x9x2000gp gives you a 90,000 gold item based on the item creation guidelines. That's 41,000 more than Boots of Teleportation(which are 3 times per day) so its probably not too low of a price for balance purposes.

Eldan
2010-08-18, 08:15 PM
Could be an Epic Warlock. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ei/20061027a)

Wonton
2010-08-18, 08:22 PM

If we're going down that road, each level of Archmage can give him Greater Teleport 2/day as an SLA (for the cost of permanently losing a 5th and a 7th level spell slot).

Douglas
2010-08-18, 08:31 PM
If you can cheese up a 13th level spell slot, the Innate Spell feat from Complete Arcane would let you sacrifice it for at-will Teleport.

Yorrin
2010-08-18, 08:32 PM
@gomipile: Yeah, that's mechanically the closest I think I'm going to get on this build. I'm trying to avoid that option, though.

@Eldan- this has to be pre-epic, though I've rolled several epic warlocks that do just that in the past. Warlock is one of my favorite classes in epic, as a matter of fact.

@DrWonton- Yeah, that was my first thought as well. And it's a solid option.

@douglas- pre-epic >_>

What I'm currently doing is an Dragonmark Heir with a Mark of Passage and the Wayfarer Guide PrC, netting him a total of 3/day Teleport and a few dimension doors and dimension leaps. I'm thinking about being satisfied with this.

mobdrazhar
2010-08-18, 08:41 PM
Psion (can't remember off the top of my head what lvl) with psionic D Door

Starsinger
2010-08-18, 08:53 PM
Blink Shirt (Totemist Chakra), I'm a bit fuzzy on the specifics, but it's in Magic of Incarnum

Flickerdart
2010-08-18, 08:55 PM
Simply polymorphing an archon into a human will do the trick.

Douglas
2010-08-18, 08:55 PM
@douglas- pre-epic >_>
That's why I said cheese. It's possible, through certain abusive exploits, to gain spell slots above 9th level before epic. Generally, it involves means of boosting a spell's level above the level of the slot used to cast it (Earth Spell, Sanctum Spell, Naenhoon), then using that boosted level to determine the level of the slot gained from the Extra Slot feat. Or you could be a venerable dragonwrought kobold and ignore the [epic] tag's normal requirement, but that would require changing your race.

Yorrin
2010-08-18, 09:00 PM
@mobdrazhar- That's hardly different from a full caster build, which I'm trying to avoid. Good thought, though.

@Starsinger- I've never been a fan of incarnum. As I recall the Blink Shirt gives frequent (at will?) dimension door. Which is nice, but not what I'm looking for.

@Flickerdart- I've never been comfortable with ploymorph cheese. It's one of the few flavors of cheese I don't digest well.

@douglas- I can think of a way using a dragonwrought kobold and a very loose rules interpretation, but if you know of a way to do it with a human I'm all ears.

true_shinken
2010-08-18, 09:04 PM
Warlock 6, Flee the Scene, nuff said.

Yorrin
2010-08-18, 09:07 PM
Warlock 6, Flee the Scene, nuff said.

again, I'm looking for more than dimension door range. good try, though.

Jack_Simth
2010-08-18, 09:07 PM
Oh, hey:

The Book of Exalted Deeds includes Celestial Familiar feat, and at 7th, you can have a Lantern Archon (which gets Greater Teleport at will - self + 50 lbs). Hop in a portable hole, have the lantern archon pick it up and port elsewhere, then hop out of the portable hole....

Hmm... is there a similar critter elsewhere?

Fax Celestis
2010-08-18, 09:11 PM
Make a custom item of continual flicker. (Tome of Magic). You may now teleport up to 50' as an immediate action whenever you feel like it.

Yorrin
2010-08-18, 09:12 PM
Oh, hey:

The Book of Exalted Deeds includes Celestial Familiar feat, and at 7th, you can have a Lantern Archon (which gets Greater Teleport at will - self + 50 lbs). Hop in a portable hole, have the lantern archon pick it up and port elsewhere, then hop out of the portable hole....

Hmm... is there a similar critter elsewhere?

Again, I approve of the creativity. I have the same problem with this as I have with an item of teleportation, though. It's using something external rather than being an ability of the individual.

Make a custom item of continual flicker. (Tome of Magic). You may now teleport up to 50' as an immediate action whenever you feel like it.

And this is both a pathetic range and involves an item. Two no-nos.

Flickerdart
2010-08-18, 09:15 PM
@mobdrazhar- That's hardly different from a full caster build, which I'm trying to avoid. Good thought, though.

@Starsinger- I've never been a fan of incarnum. As I recall the Blink Shirt gives frequent (at will?) dimension door. Which is nice, but not what I'm looking for.

@Flickerdart- I've never been comfortable with ploymorph cheese. It's one of the few flavors of cheese I don't digest well.

@douglas- I can think of a way using a dragonwrought kobold and a very loose rules interpretation, but if you know of a way to do it with a human I'm all ears.
Cheese? You're just altering appearance of a low-level monster. If it makes you feel better, use Alter Self to turn into an Aasimar instead, for a low-level effect.

Jack_Simth
2010-08-18, 09:22 PM
Again, I approve of the creativity. I have the same problem with this as I have with an item of teleportation, though. It's using something external rather than being an ability of the individual.

Ah... if you don't want items, or homebrew, you're kinda stuck with things with an LA, limited uses per day, Epic levels, or some form of cheddar.

Hmm.... Savage Species? Hound Archon, Hamatula, Succubus, Trumpet Archon, Vrock, Ghaele...

All righty... The Hound Archon and the Succubus can seem human at will.

Yorrin
2010-08-18, 09:32 PM
Ah... if you don't want items, or homebrew, you're kinda stuck with things with an LA, limited uses per day, Epic levels, or some form of cheddar.

Hmm.... Savage Species? Hound Archon, Hamatula, Succubus, Trumpet Archon, Vrock, Ghaele...

All righty... The Hound Archon and the Succubus can seem human at will.

Yeah, the guy actually needs to be a human, for various reasons. So I've basically learned that it's not possible pre-epic.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, though. This turned into a great list of teleportation effects that I'm sure to put to use at some point in the future.

W3bDragon
2010-08-18, 09:37 PM
You probably won't like this, since its an item, but..

You could give him the Ancestral Relic feat from BoED and make his family heirloom boots of teleportation. Then allow him to spend gold/magic items to improve the item to get him a very high number of times per day Teleport, or even unlimited.

It might be an item, but at least its a unique signature item that only he has.

The gp value of an Ancestral Relic Magic item at 20th could reach 380,000 GP.

Yorrin
2010-08-18, 09:39 PM
<snip>

Again, I'm impressed with the creativity here. But you're right, it's not what I'm looking for.

avr
2010-08-18, 09:46 PM
It's purely short-range, but it might complement real teleport abilities - swordsages can get some Shadow Hand maneuvers like Shadow Jump which are the next thing to at-will. And Horizon Walker 6 can get Dimension Door every d4 rounds.

Yorrin
2010-08-18, 09:59 PM
Obviously my next character is going to need to be a
Wizard 7/Warlock 6/Totemist 1/Horizon Walker 6/Swordsage 1

with the Dimensional Jaunt reserve feat, Flee the scene, Blink Shirt, Shifting Planar Terrain Mastery, all the teleporty shadow hand maneuvers, and an ancesrtal item of continual flicker. That's over half a dozen means of short range teleportation on a single character by level 20, many of which are at will.

Kylarra
2010-08-18, 09:59 PM
Pretty close to Rule 0, but you could use Incantations (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/incantations.htm). Perhaps a personal one that's been passed down from father to son using an ancestral item as the focus.

Yorrin
2010-08-18, 10:00 PM
Pretty close to Rule 0, but you could use Incantations (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/incantations.htm). Perhaps a personal one that's been passed down from father to son using an ancestral item as the focus.

You have officially won my thread. Have two dozen cookies and an intarwebz.

Lysander
2010-08-18, 10:31 PM
One option is to make him a divine proxy, giving him the powers of a rank 1 demigod. That would give him greater teleport at will, along with many other benefits. Anyone of any level can be made a proxy, it just requires that he be in the service of some deity who really wants him to succeed.

Proxies

A divine proxy speaks and acts on behalf of the divine being. When the demand for a deity’s presence is too high, the deity may use proxies.

Proxies are divine minions invested with a small portion of the deity’s power. A deity may invest 1 rank of its power (reducing its divine rank accordingly) in a single servant for as long as the deity chooses. The minion must be physically present for the deity to perform the investiture. While so invested, the proxy gains any salient divine abilities held by the patron deity as well as the powers and abilities of a rank 1 demigod. Without the requisite ability scores or divine ranks, the proxy may not be able to use all those powers and abilities. A deity may have more than one proxy, but it must lose 1 divine rank for each proxy it invests. A deity can retrieve a single divine rank as a standard action, and doing so does not require the physical presence of the proxy.

Yorrin
2010-08-18, 10:36 PM
One option is to make him a divine proxy, giving him the powers of a rank 1 demigod. That would give him greater teleport at will, along with many other benefits. Anyone of any level can be made a proxy, it just requires that he be in the service of some deity who really wants him to succeed.

While this is entirely possible over the course of the campaign, Kylarra provided what I was looking for in the form of incantations. Thanks anyway!