PDA

View Full Version : 3.5e Archmage and reserve feats

Marnath
2010-08-18, 09:08 PM
Hi, i was just wondering if the archmage ability Mastery of Elements works with reserve feats, specifically to take Meteor Swarm and count it for acidic blast and storm bolt feats to get unlimited 9d6 attacks in 3 energy flavors(took fiery burst too.)

AmberVael
2010-08-18, 09:18 PM
No, it wouldn't.

Reasoning being:

Mastery of Elements

The archmage can alter an arcane spell when cast so that it utilizes a different element from the one it normally uses.

Element only changes when the spell is cast. Therefore, it wouldn't work with Reserve feats.

Marnath
2010-08-18, 09:21 PM
No, it wouldn't.

Reasoning being:

Element only changes when the spell is cast. Therefore, it wouldn't work with Reserve feats.

Oh, missed that. Does it work with the feats that do the same thing? Or are they on cast too? Failing that, are there legitimate 9th level spells of those energy types? I don't have the SpC.

Aroka
2010-08-18, 09:24 PM
Oh, missed that. Does it work with the feats that do the same thing? Or are they on cast too? Failing that, are there legitimate 9th level spells of those energy types? I don't have the SpC.

Use the DMG spell research rules to create versions of meteor swarm with other elements. That's pretty much exactly what those rules are for (and capable of).

nargbop
2010-08-18, 09:34 PM
+1 for homebrew

From WotC material, you can take the feats Elemental Substitution and Energy Admixture to add elemental types to your spells. There's also an Elemental Savant prestige class.

In truth, it sounds like what you want is the Orb of X spells from Spell Compendium.

Urpriest
2010-08-18, 09:34 PM

Energy Substitution modifies the spell as prepared.

Marnath
2010-08-19, 07:54 PM
Energy Substitution modifies the spell as prepared.

As prepared eh? That sounds like a decently convincing argument for allowing spontaneous casters(this is for a sorc, should have mentioned) to use the reserve feat with the appropriate substitution feat. Homebrew looks like a better option because sorc's are so feat starved. As to orbs, aren't those only 3rd or 4th level? I wanted the 9ths because the reserve feats do 1d6 per spell level.