PDA

View Full Version : Fly Speed and a Swiftblade

Darius Rae
2010-08-18, 11:08 PM
[D&D 3.5]
What is the "best" way to gain a fly speed? Specifically I need to qualify for Fly by Attack with a Grey Elf Swift Hunter//Wizard/Swiftblade. LA buy off is allowed.

I was looking at the winged template and using magic to apply it at level 9 (so I would only have to pay the exp for the LA buy off) Unseelie fey also looked nice, and if taken would prompt me to take a level of Elf Paladin on the Swift Hunter side, and enter Swiftblade with Bard/Sublime Chord. If I took the unseelie fey template I would probably also buy off the dark template.

Party members include:
Wizard//Archivist, Batman and part time healer
Barbarian//Wild shape Ranger, Grappler
Me, Skill Monkey and "shoot over 9000 arrows into that guy", person

Ryuuk
2010-08-18, 11:10 PM
Well, you could consider becoming a Dragonborn, I think one of the optional aspects grants you wings.

That, or you could ask if Fly or Overland Flight would let you qualify.

Mystic Muse
2010-08-18, 11:14 PM
Keep in mind that Bahamut can take away the dragonborn template if you offend him too much.

Yorrin
2010-08-18, 11:14 PM
My first thought is to go Dragonborn. If you're not familiar it's a 0LA template that basically replaces most of your old racial features (keeps ability adjustments and speed), but gives you the option to gain flight (among other minor benefits). Not an inherited template, so you can take it whenever. You get gliding at lvl1, partial flight at lvl6, and full flight by lvl12 Races of the Dragon.

If that's not your thing, LoM has an aberration feat that gives you a fly speed at half your base speed.

EDIT: Swordsaged on Dragonborn >_<
Kyuubi: I believe the flavor text says that you keep your new form until you die, even if you displease Bahamut. Note that Bahamut is likely to personally smite you in such a case, but that's the risk you run.

Darius Rae
2010-08-18, 11:15 PM
The problem with Dragonborn is that all good dragons and their descendants have been hunted to extinction :smalleek: and the living evil dragons wouldn't let my character live very long.

Edit: I'll look into the aberration thing, but I would like to avoid spending to many feats, as most feat slots are already accounted for.

ex cathedra
2010-08-19, 12:38 AM
The Feathered Wings graft from Fiend Folio. Average Fly speed at 2x your land speed. 10kgp.