PDA

View Full Version : For Good IC

Ajadea
2010-08-19, 12:41 AM
The drums of war sound, calling the brave to battle against the undead. The common people cry out for protection against the dreaded rakshasa. Horrors from the lands below rise up from their homes in the bowels of the earth, slaying few and kidnapping many. There are times when the world itself faces destruction, and escapes that fate only through the sacrifice of thousands of valiant warriors, each going down in history. This isn't one of them.

A hundred and fifty years ago, an empire of the undead was toppled. An empire that had ruled the continent for over three hundred years, led by Azaron Dalethein, an elven lich. He was slain by many great clerics, who worked together to destroy him, body and soul. Paladins and knights rode through the land, driving away the foul undead that remained. Clerics followed in their wake, cleansing the land of the taint that suffused it. War erupted, ambitious warlords conquering kingdoms for themselves. This all ended a hundred years ago.

But evil never is eradicated completely. Azaron's phylactery was never found. Undead still roam the land, rakshasa have returned, now inhabiting the Demon Wastes. The Demon Wastes themselves are still tainted with evil, an evil that refuses to leave. The drow still scheme, the illithids still work away in their mysterious cabals, the plots of many are still waiting to unravel. Betrayers and betrayed, fallen heroes and reformed villains, stories of the individuals weaving themselves into the tapestry known as history.

Now you will join it.

Map (yes there are more towns, yes I don't know where they are):
http://i38.tinypic.com/24kz1u9.jpg

Humans are the dominant species, followed by dwarves, then halflings

Dragons exist, but color-coding is out. You can have a CE gold dragon, an LG white dragon, whatever.

The year is divided into 6 lunar months of 60 days each and a short month of 17 days at the end of the year. Date is often written in a month/day/year fashion, as the rakshasa once used. Snow Moon, Planting Moon, High Moon, Solstice Moon, Harvest Moon, Lichfall Moon (Formerly Ghost Moon), and Saint's Moon (the short one) are the months.

There are 2 moons, a big one and a small one. The small white one follows a 28-day cycle (28 days from full moon to full moon), the larger yellowish one follows a 60-day cycle. The calender tells time by the cycles of the yellow moon.

Timeline:
1460-1500 Before the Human Era: The earliest records of rakshasa history seem to state that this time period was when their empire, which spanned the continent, was founded.
1060-1080 BHE: Gray elves rebel and throw the rakshasa out, forming their own empire east of the Sjachir Mountains.
265 BHE: Records show that a plague swept through the gray elf lands, and many of them die.
53 BHE: The last gray elves disappear, apparently going extinct.
44 BHE: Emperor Ravana of the Rakshasa Empire dies without declaring which one of his twin children will inherit. The empire splits, and the humans rebel.
44-10 BHE: The Rakshasa Empire consumes itself in a civil war, and 90 percent of the rakshasa population dies.
10 BHE: The Rakshasa Empire falls.
0 Human Era: The Kallean Empire is founded. It covers the area that is now Brightwater and southern Laodren.
59 HE: The Kallean Empire takes over most of the central plains by this time.
163 HE: Huatlin is founded.
0 Dark Age/589 HE: Azaron Dalethein is born.
20 DA/609 HE: Nairen Sedranel, a Mithranda elf is born.
105 DA/694 HE: Sessara (a human from Kallean) is born.
117 DA/706 HE: Zombies begin to appear in the north. Nairen is believed to have allied with Azaron during this year.
High Moon 126 DA/715 HE: Sessara, now a trained assassin, is sentenced to die for her multitude of crimes. She escapes two days before the hanging.
Farmer's Moon 126-Fall 127 DA/715-716 HE: Sessara is believed to have allied with Azaron and Nairen some time during this period.
Ghost Moon of 127 DA/716 HE: Vampires rise in the north. They are all slain within a month by a group of 3 anonymous people, now believed to be Sessara, Azaron, and Nairen. Whether or not this is true, Sessara and Nairen became vampires during this month.
129-133 DA/718-722 HE: Azaron, Nairen, and Sessara are definitely allied by this time. They invade the Mithrandas Forest with armies of undead and demons, even drawing upon the nigh-extinct rakshasa warriors. By the 5th month of 722 DA, the Mithrandas Forest has become the Demon Wastes, and the rakshasa take the land over.
136-143 DA/725-732 HE: Azaron’s armies invade Kallean. By 143 DA, he has conquered the continent up to the Sjachir Mountains. Azaron becomes a lich.
144-431 DA: The Dark Age is retroactively named, and the Human Era is declared to have ended in 589 HE, when Azaron was born. Shadowkeep is founded, and Azaron will rule from there largely unopposed for the next 287 years.
431-438 DA: An army of the righteous is founded, overthrowing Azaron’s empire. Nairen is slain, Azaron is slain, but returns because his phylactery was still whole. Shadowkeep is sacked and burned to the ground. Sessara escapes, and it is believed that she took Azaron’s phylactery with her.
440 DA: Sessara is slain, but returns despite the fact her coffin was burned in Shadowkeep two years before.
Ghost Moon of 441 DA: Sessara is slain, this time for good. Azaron is killed two days later, and does not return. His phylactery is never found. The Dark Age ends with his death, and the Revival begins. Ghost Moon is renamed Lichfall Moon.
1-53 Revival: Warlords rise up, creating the kingdoms we know today.
Saint's Moon, 14th day, 3 Revival: The paladin order is founded in an abandoned grey elf citadel.
147 Revival: House Aeon falls.
151 Revival: Present Day.

{table]User Name|Character Sheet
BladeOfOblivion|Cygaar, Spear of Radiance (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=231547)
Cadian 9th|Razor (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=211863)
cd4|Temujin Khagan (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=231639)
Gorgontandess|Sariel (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=226562)
Lix Lorn|Johann of the Mental Point (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=232155)
Lord Mattos|Rhakan Tel'Daeos (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=9088)
Toxin605|Lord Aeon the Resolute (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=231724)
Zaydos|Thorgrim Steel-Cleaver (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=40347)[/table]

Someone runs in to the great hall, tired and sweaty. Dust covers his face. His clothes are dirty and ripped, his breath shallow and quick. He might be only a boy still, considering how scrawny he is. There's a strip of cloth that might be a makeshift bandage on his arm. His short brown hair is plastered to his scalp by sweat, and his eyes are filled with fear. "Iraness- sacked! Monsters, walkin' corpses, an' the cold'un, she killed me mum an' ripped her bones out, jus' by snappin' her fingers an' pointin'!" he babbles. "Me an' Mara an' Tobe an' Keran an' Hanna an' little Jan were the only ones to ge' away, an' Mara said ta come here, ta you, an' we did, 'cept the red-eyed demon bandits got Mara an' Keran an' every'un else and they're gone an' I'm scared!"

"Hold on, child. When did this happen?"

"We lef' 6 days ago, and we've been runnin' and runnin'!"

"But Iraness is two hundred miles away! You've been pushing yourself far too hard child, you need to rest."

"I can't rest! I've gotta save me friends!"

"We will rescue, them, do not worry." The cleric turns away from the child as another cleric leads the protesting child to the sleeping quarters "You, you, you, you, you, you, you, and you," she says, pointing at each of you in turn, "Go rescue the children. The rest of you saddle up and ride to Iraness!"

Zaydos
2010-08-19, 01:53 AM
"As ye command," Thorgrim says quickly, "Just let me grab my axe and Ah'll be ready. Any idea what these red-eyed demon bandits may be? It's best to know yer foe ere ye charge."

Cadian 9th
2010-08-19, 02:06 AM
Razor

The elf frowns with characteristic doubt. This world is ending... Let's make the next one a better place... He thinks. Picking up his sacred bow, he lifts arrow to bow and nods to the cleric, hood drawn and cloak present. The power of the Mithranda people broken, Razor has little to rely on, but his speed, skill and devotion to the forces of good and the blessing of Correlon will lead to triumph.

" This is the call of the singer, the song of the silent. We must go now, lest it end forever. Come now. " He says.

Ajadea
2010-08-19, 02:11 AM
"I would assume that the child is referring to the drow, as they would likely recognize an orc."

Zaydos
2010-08-19, 02:34 AM
"Ah, sun-haters is it. Never matched my axe with 'eir trea'ry. We'll bring 'em the light soon 'nuff." Thorgrim says as he leaves to get his waraxe.

BladeofOblivion
2010-08-19, 03:09 AM
"These are Dark Times Indeed." The Half-Dragon stands to his impressive 6'2" height, puts his helmet on, and readies a mace. "It seems that this conflict will have to be resolved through a force of arms." He thinks a moment. "This "Cold One" the boy mentioned sounds like a Spellcaster, likely a Cleric. We will have to take extreme caution."

Ranger Mattos
2010-08-19, 09:27 AM
Rhakan stays near the back of those paladins in the room, trying not to catch the eye of the child. He knows the reputation of his kind, the rakshasa, would most likey further frighten him. He raises his tiger-like head to speak. "We most likely have little time to waste. Let us go now." His voice is deep yet melodic.

Lix Lorn
2010-08-19, 10:58 AM
"It is sad that this needs to be done." said Johann, sorrowful. "But I am sure we can do it."

Toxin605
2010-08-19, 11:43 AM
Lord Aeon's grip tightens on his great-sword. He feels empathy for the child and is infuriated at any who would dare attack children, but some questions needed answers first."Why would Drow attack a random town out of the blue? What could this small town of country bumpkins have that could possibly want?

Zaydos
2010-08-22, 01:00 PM
Thorgrim returns carrying his axe, and shield. "Shall we be off, I believe we have some kids to save."

BladeofOblivion
2010-08-22, 02:03 PM
"Perhaps we should get moving. Temujin rides swiftly, and having Sariel in this room at all with that poor child's talk of walking corpses is unwise." The half-Dragon hefts his mace and his finger begins to glow slightly.

Lix Lorn
2010-08-22, 02:08 PM
Johann gave a nod, and followed after him.

Ajadea
2010-08-26, 10:31 AM
You leave the stronghold, heading towards the nearest entry into the Underdark. The air is crisp and clear, and there are no clouds in the sky. However, the seemingly peaceful area is not without dangers. Bugbears are known to inhabit these mountains, and there are many tales of the malevolent spirits which supposedly inhabit this mountain range.

Zaydos
2010-08-26, 10:38 AM
Thorgrim walks quietly, holding his axe and shield read. His mind is sharp and focused, ready for any upcoming attack. He keeps a keen watch on the path, with glimpses towards the rocks to either side. He knows how dangerous bugbears can be, and is ready to face any that he encounters.

I'm going to make sure I'm psionically focused so I can take advantage of my Focused Shield feat and/or expend it for Overchannel or another ability.

Ranger Mattos
2010-08-26, 11:10 AM
Rhakan walks in the back, silently taking in the natural beauty. However, he is also keeping watch for any rogue monsters.

Spot: [roll0]

BladeofOblivion
2010-08-26, 05:31 PM
Cygaar walks toward the front, mace in hand. He is aware that his eyesight is awful, but he still tries to keep a watch on his surroundings.

[roll0] - 5 = -3. What a failure.

Zaydos
2010-08-26, 06:48 PM
OOC: actually remembering to make Spot (and Listen) checks.
Listen: [roll1]

Cadian 9th
2010-08-26, 06:58 PM
Razor

The Cleric is silent but for the occasional scrape of metal against wood. He glances around, a devoted Traveler.

Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

Lix Lorn
2010-08-26, 08:29 PM
Johann paid as much attention as he could to his surroundings as he walked.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Toxin605
2010-08-27, 12:47 AM
Spot: 1d20 - 1
Listen: 1d20 - 1

Broke the Darned thing. I'll roll in the OOC.

Lord Aeon leads his mule through the mountains, wary but slightly distracted.
"I still don't understand why Sun-Haters as Thorgrim called them would just attack some town."

Ajadea
2010-08-28, 07:47 AM
Johann

You can hear guttural grumblings in a language that you do not understand and the soft steps of something above you. Looking up, you see the ear of a bugbear and the top of the head of a second one.

Nothing seems to be there, except your overactive imaginations.

Lix Lorn
2010-08-28, 09:49 AM
Johann stopped still, getting his sword and shield from his back.
"Bugbears." he said aloud.

Zaydos
2010-08-28, 10:22 AM
Thorgrim's lips turn up in a snarl,
"Where be 'ey? I'll show 'em the might of the Steel-Cleaver clan."

Can I go ahead and use my Thicken Skin psionic power?

Lix Lorn
2010-08-28, 10:31 AM
"I'm not exactly sure." he said. "Above us, I believe..."

Ranger Mattos
2010-08-28, 10:47 AM
At the mention of bugbears, Rhakan unsheathes his greatsword in preparation for battle. But believing that not all are evil, Rhakan utters a short prayer to see if the bugbears are enemies. In short, Detect Evil, 2 rounds concentration.

BladeofOblivion
2010-08-28, 05:33 PM
Cygaar responds: "What? Where? I don't see anything!" He readies his mace and casts a simple enchantment upon himself.

I activate Celestial Deflection. (Same as Entropic Warding, but less chaotic-sounding.)

Ajadea
2010-08-28, 10:56 PM
Thorgrim

You'd spend 3 power points, because it's a 2nd level psionic power for you, right? But yes, you can.

Rhakan

Wherever the bugbears are, it isn't in range of your detect evil, for you see nothing.

A shimmering white field of divine energy gathers around Cygaar.

Zaydos
2010-08-28, 11:40 PM
Actually Thicken Skin is a 1st level power for me all of mine are.

Cadian 9th
2010-08-29, 12:54 AM
Razor

The Elf glances around again, this time even more focused. Uttering a prayer to Correlon, he brandishes his... bow... and shouts the warcry of the Mithranda, a dead cry lost in time - living on in Razor's heart.

" Swift, Stars, show your fires! Let my black desires show themselves! BUGBEAR! Rogue, come hither, so I can teach you some honour! " He intones, quietly.

A bit o' shakespeare.

Ajadea
2010-08-29, 01:00 AM
Thorgrim

Go ahead and manifest it.

A javelin flies down from the rocks above, clattering on the ground next to Razor. [roll0] [roll1]

Zaydos
2010-08-29, 01:06 AM
Thorgrim's eyes leap to the rocks the javelin came from as he crouches down defensively. He tries valiantly to ascend towards the source.

Is there anyway to the place the javelin came from? A path or some such? Is this a canyon or simply us on the low ground?

BladeofOblivion
2010-08-29, 01:10 AM
((Are the "rocks above" within Close Range? Meaning 30ft.))

Ajadea
2010-08-29, 01:37 AM
You guys just have the low ground, and there is about 60 feet between the edge of the flat ground you lot are standing on and the 80 foot tall cliff to the right where the bugbears probably are, since that's where the javelin came from.

Rough Map
{table]|A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M|N|O|P|Q|R|S
1|C>|||||||||||||C>|C>|C>|C>|?|?
2|C>|||||||||||||C>|C>|C>|C>|?|?
3|C>|||||||||||||C>|C>|C>|C>|?|?
4|C>|||||||R|X|X|X|||C>|C>|C>|C>|?|?
5|C>|||||||X|X|X|X|||C>|C>|C>|C>|?|?
6|C>|||||||X|X|X|X|||C>|C>|C>|C>|?|?
7|C>|||||||X|X|X|X|||C>|C>|C>|C>|?|?
8|C>|||||||X|X|X|X|||C>|C>|C>|C>|?|?
9|C>|||||||||||||C>|C>|C>|C>|?|?
10|C>|||||||||||||C>|C>|C>|C>|?|?[/table]

You guys are somewhere in the zone where the Xs are (place yourselves), you can't see up where the question marks are and C>is a cliff, with up being the direction the arrow points (in this case, your right).

Place yourselves and, if you feel like battling, roll initiative.

Initiative Count
Thorgrim (Th) 20
Razor (R) 13

Zaydos
2010-08-29, 01:55 AM
Doesn't look like there's a path up the 80-ft cliff (and climbing them would be insane for Thorgrim at least).

Thorgrim scowls sourly that he must do this but he hustles along his shield raised to cover against arrows.

I guess I'll start in K4 and just be double moving towards the enemy if possible; is the cliff difficult terrain or impassable? My AC is currently 22.
Initiative if necessary: [roll0]

Ajadea
2010-08-29, 02:02 AM
The cliff is something you'd need a Climb check to get up.

Zaydos
2010-08-29, 02:03 AM
In that case double move off the map, got to look for a better path up. (-5 on climb, not liable to climb it).

Ajadea
2010-08-29, 02:12 AM
Up or down?

Zaydos
2010-08-29, 02:13 AM
Which way were we going before the attack? Also did we see a path up to the high ground recently on our journeys?

Cadian 9th
2010-08-29, 02:16 AM
Sitting at H4 Ini [roll0]

Razor

" We should fall back - this is not good. " He says, reasonably.

Ajadea
2010-08-29, 02:24 AM
Zaydos

Which way were we going before the attack? Also did we see a path up to the high ground recently on our journeys?

You saw a path that might lead to the high ground about ten minutes ago, and you came from the bottom of the map and were going towards the top before the whole bugbear thing.

Zaydos
2010-08-29, 02:27 AM
"Might be more up ahead." Thorgrim says, even as he moves forward.

I'll move off the top of the map; we have a mission to do and spending 20 minutes to possibly fight some bugbear bandits isn't worth risking more harm to innocents.

BladeofOblivion
2010-08-29, 02:52 AM
I'll Start in 5K.

Initiative: [roll0]

...I HATE this Dice Roller. And it hates me back.

I can perhaps win us this day using my natural abilities.

Ranger Mattos
2010-08-29, 01:37 PM
Rhakan struggles with inner turmoil. Should they keep going, or fight the bugbears? The bandits would waylay other travels if not dealt with, but on the other hand, the drow are what they were going to deal with in the first place, and are more dangerous to innocents. Finally, he decides: "We should most likely keep going. The drow are the more pressing concern," he says to the others.

Lix Lorn
2010-09-02, 10:54 AM
ACK! I didn't see that someone had posted...

Ajadea
2010-09-03, 04:57 AM
So, just to confirm, you're ignoring the bugbears throwing javelins at you?

Lix Lorn
2010-09-03, 06:03 AM
"We really must do something about them." said Johann.

Zaydos
2010-09-03, 06:41 AM
"I cannot reach 'em. It'll take us near half an hour to go back and around. 'ey'll waste 'eir javelins in less time than that." Thorgrim says continuing to move forward.

To answer the DM's question:
I have decent AC (22), they aren't likely to hit me and with no way up (I don't have ranks in climb, I have a shield, and climbing makes you an easy target), I can't really get into a fight without spending ~20 minutes backtracking and going up the different path so I'm going to ignore the bugbears and move forward. If we backtrack that gives them 20 minutes to reposition and there's no guarantee they'd still be there. Besides we do have a mission and it's not to fight some bugbears. I move forward, quite content to ignore them.

Ajadea
2010-09-07, 10:57 AM
You move on, ignoring the bugbears who haphazardly begin pelting you with javelins. All of which miss, horribly. It is another three hours before you finally reach the entrance to the Underdark. The cavern entrance is darkened, and scattered around it is shattered bones and a single skull. That of a small, humanoid, creature.

Zaydos
2010-09-07, 11:02 AM
"Do you 'ink it's one of 'e children's?" Thorgrim says looking at the skull, "It seems ra'er clean for a fresh skull, 'ough. A creature could of cleaned it, 'ough. We ought to hurry, we don't have time to spare."

Thorgrim prepares to enter the cave, when the others are willing to follow.

Lix Lorn
2010-09-07, 11:10 AM
Johann nodded sadly at the sight of the skull, and followed Thorgrim inside.

Ranger Mattos
2010-09-07, 04:13 PM
Rhakan winces at the sight, and silently follows the others.

Ajadea
2010-09-07, 04:30 PM
You take a couple steps in to the cave and everything goes black. Inside is as dark as a starless night, even to those who should be able to see perfectly fine. Something crunches under someone's foot. Spot checks.

Zaydos
2010-09-07, 04:32 PM
Thorgrim scowls at the darkness, and wonders what witchery is this.

Spot check
[roll0]

Lix Lorn
2010-09-07, 04:34 PM
Johann stopped moving when things went dark, worried.

[roll0]

Ranger Mattos
2010-09-07, 06:09 PM
The darkness puts Rhakan on edge. He should be able to see, even in the total blackness. He quickly stops moving and tries to see if anything is moving.

Listen: [roll1]

Zaydos
2010-09-30, 09:01 PM
Listen Check
[roll0]