PDA

View Full Version : Did Rich rip off FMA? (some spoilers)

Dr.Epic
2010-08-19, 02:32 AM
{Scrubbed}

Robert Blackletter
2010-08-19, 02:43 AM
Unlikely, The gate/ wormhole/ promise land etc that leads to earth is not that uncommon a trope. I have never watch FMA (is it any good?) but have read various friction where it has come up before.

Dr.Epic
2010-08-19, 02:46 AM
Unlikely, The gate/ wormhole/ promise land etc that leads to earth is not that uncommon a trope. I have never watch FMA (is it any good?) but have read various friction where it has come up before.

It's worth watching. A lot of the the later half of the series isn't as good as the first.

Setra
2010-08-19, 03:02 AM
No, because the Gate doesn't lead to our world. Of course, I prefer the manga.

Dr.Epic
2010-08-19, 03:03 AM
No, because the Gate doesn't lead to our world. Of course, I prefer the manga.

We don't know that for a fact.

Setra
2010-08-19, 03:14 AM
I was referring to Fullmetal Alchemist, specifically the manga.

Dr.Epic
2010-08-19, 03:16 AM
I was referring to Fullmetal Alchemist, specifically the manga.

And I was referring to the anime, specifically not Brotherhood.

Setra
2010-08-19, 03:31 AM
And I was referring to the anime, specifically not Brotherhood.
Hence why I made reference to the manga in my post. While whited out, once you tried to quote me you would have seen that, which was the intent as I was joking around.

Of course, I had thought this thread was a joke as well.

Dr.Epic
2010-08-19, 03:34 AM
Hence why I made reference to the manga in my post. While whited out, once you tried to quote me you would have seen that, which was the intent as I was joking around.

I thought you were referring to the world in the rift in OotS

Of course, I had thought this thread was a joke as well.

This thread isn't completely seriously.

Comet
2010-08-19, 04:33 AM
The Order of the Stick don't use the Rift for transmutation.
Yeah, I got nothing. It's a pretty common thing, a world beyond the world.

In other news, Fullmetal Alchemist is a pretty cool series, one of the first anime I really got into. Really need to watch Brotherhood to the end some day.

FoE
2010-08-19, 04:34 AM
I heard that Rich was ripping off this tabletop game called Dungeons and Dragons for half of his jokes.

Comet
2010-08-19, 04:37 AM
I heard that Rich was ripping off this tabletop game called Dungeons and Dragons for half of his jokes.

Everyone rips off Dungeons and Dragons. Even the movie series Lord of the Rings does it. LOTR is so cliché. ummm...j/k?

edit @V: Well, that does it. Quite neatly, even. Myth busted, let's go watch some japanese cartoons to celebrate!

Nimrod's Son
2010-08-19, 04:56 AM
Actually, we do. From DStP:

The book ends with a new mystery that reminds us of the larger crisis that the Order faces. Did Blackwing's vision prove that someone was lying about the Snarl, or is something going on in that prison that no one - maybe even the gods themselves - knows about? Only time will tell. By which I mean I will tell, but not, you know, for a good long while. Until then, the secret of the world-within-the-world (which no, is NOT our Earth) will remain unknown.

Connington
2010-08-19, 05:20 AM
Did Rich rip off FMA?

Yes. But it's okay, because FMA ripped off DnD, where there are Gates, behind which are other worlds.

Poppy Appletree
2010-08-19, 05:54 AM
I have never watch FMA (is it any good?) but have read various friction where it has come up before.

Really? Have you read any other forces where this happens? :smallwink:

BridgeCity
2010-08-19, 09:44 AM
Really? Have you read any other forces where this happens? :smallwink:

I have an answer.

1 - The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force.

2 - It can easily be argued that creating is better, or more powerful, than destroying.

3 - Therefore it can be argued that the Force can create planets.

(please don't think I'm actually trying to argue that Jedi could create planets if they wanted to)

Dr.Epic
2010-08-19, 09:49 AM
Everyone rips off Dungeons and Dragons. Even the movie series Lord of the Rings does it. LOTR is so cliché. ummm...j/k?!

Too bad the film Dungeons and Dragons could rip off stuff from D&D.

sockmonkey
2010-08-19, 10:32 AM
That film didn't rip it off. It amputated it.

Leecros
2010-08-19, 11:17 AM
(please don't think I'm actually trying to argue that Jedi could create planets if they wanted to)

well, Galen Marek could rip star destroyers out of the sky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JupZbL7yTM)...i'm sure it wouldn't be too far off to create a planet for him....it'd take awhile, but after 20-30 years of stuffing dirt and rock and other stuff together you'd get...some sort of a planet....

CarpeGuitarrem
2010-08-19, 11:21 AM
2 - It can easily be argued that creating is better, or more powerful, than destroying.

Nonsense!! "Creating and destroying are two halves of the same coin!!" *shirt flies off, and pink sparkles ensue*

Knaight
2010-08-19, 12:22 PM
Yes. But it's okay, because FMA ripped off DnD, where there are Gates, behind which are other worlds.

What hasn't OotS ripped off that has been used before? For instance:

Bleach: The characters have faces. Some of them use swords.
OotS: The characters have faces. Some of them use swords.

Space Odyssey 2001: Some of the buildings spin in some scenes.
OotS: Some of the buildings spin in some scenes. (Miko's stunning kick for instance.)

Dante's Inferno: Hell has talking creatures in it.
OotS: Hell has talking creatures in it.

Shale
2010-08-19, 12:24 PM
Citizen Kane was written in English. Order of the Stick was written in English.

Coincidence? I THINK NOT.

Roland St. Jude
2010-08-19, 12:29 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Wow, maybe don't start at thread with a title that insults Rich when insulting Rich is an Instant Banning offense. At the very least, "Did Rich Rip off X" is incredibly trollish. Thread locked.