PDA

View Full Version : Anyone played "Once Upon a Time"?

Zom B
2010-08-19, 10:21 AM
Was reading through some old issues of KoDT and they were playing it. I did some research, and the last published edition of the game is now 15 years old. For those of you not familiar with it, here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Once_Upon_a_Time_(game))'s the wikipedia article. It looks like tremendous fun.

On a side note, anyone still have the game?

dsmiles
2010-08-19, 10:24 AM
Was reading through some old issues of KoDT and they were playing it. I did some research, and the last published edition of the game is now 15 years old. For those of you not familiar with it, here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Once_Upon_a_Time_(game))'s the wikipedia article. It looks like tremendous fun.

On a side note, anyone still have the game?

Just read the wiki. That sounds pretty fun.

TricksyAndFalse
2010-08-19, 12:05 PM
Ugh. Is it really 15 years old? I'm so old :smallfrown:

I have played it a few times. I even played it earlier this month.

Did you have a specific question about it, or were you just wondering if it's still played?

Zom B
2010-08-19, 12:58 PM
Ugh. Is it really 15 years old? I'm so old :smallfrown:

I have played it a few times. I even played it earlier this month.

Did you have a specific question about it, or were you just wondering if it's still played?

Wondering if it as fun as it looks. I'm thinking about buying the deck online, but it's going to be ~$20 and I'd like to know if it's worth it. Unless someone has the game on here and wants to part with it and wants to PM me.

RebelRogue
2010-08-19, 01:15 PM
I've played it, and it's good fun. We've even combined it with a session of D&D where the DM postion shifted as cards were played. Good times.

Vantharion
2010-08-19, 01:50 PM
Anyone have any thoughts of how this could be done with a DND style game.
I've been thinking of a less DM designed plot. I'd put my players into a game where one at a time each of them gets a chance to change the plot in an ABSURD fashion.

Once Upon a Time looks like a lot of fun.
Maybe I could buy the game, and slowly play out a game of it where the players play the story they're writing?

Anxe
2010-08-19, 04:37 PM
I find that its much less fun than you think it will be.

Malfunctioned
2010-08-19, 04:38 PM
I have the game and it is fun, provided the players actually try to make a story and not just win. It also really helps with improv and the results of the story are frequently hilarious as well.

Of course you shouldn't let your friends get their hands on the blank cards, otherwise you'll end up with almost every story featuring a certain moustachioed dictator as the villain.

darkpuppy
2010-08-19, 05:17 PM
Yeah, so long as you've got your head on straight, Once Upon a Time is actually good fun. If you concentrate more on winning than telling a good story, however, it gets incredibly silly.

kc0bbq
2010-08-19, 05:50 PM
The only game that got me to buy a set faster than this was Lunch Money. Atlas showing up at The Source to do demos meant I was always spending money on stuff that I shouldn't have been spending.

If you play with the right people (i.e. the people that are the reason the King rule is in effect) you can end up with some really pretty neat fairy tales.

Now I want to play again, I haven't pulled out my deck in 10 years.

Swordgleam
2010-08-19, 10:43 PM
I own it. It's a blast. You have to play with the right people, though. But it's a ton of fun.

We once mixed in some Magic cards and played "Once Upon a Time there was a Gathering of Magic." It was absurd in the best way.

I have the game and it is fun, provided the players actually try to make a story and not just win.

I dunno, I play to win and I've come up with some pretty epic stuff the couple times I've managed to shut out a game (play all my cards without interruption).

Zom B
2010-08-20, 01:57 AM
All right, I think I'm convinced. I'll let you know how it goes. We're going to be down a player for a while as he is having his first kid, and I'd like something to introduce so that we can postpone the game for a month or so and he doesn't miss too much.