PDA

View Full Version : [Creature] Forget the giant rats...

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-08-19, 10:34 AM
Porcupine
http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/strollerderby/2008/07/01-07/porcupine.jpg

Small Animal
Hit Dice: 1d8+3 (7 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), climb 20 ft.
Armor Class: 17 (+1 dex, +5 natural, +1 size), touch 12, flat-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/+3
Attack: Pierce +1 melee (1d4-1)
Full Attack: Pierce +1 melee (1d4-1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Quills
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +2, Will +1
Abilities Str 9, Dex 13, Con 16, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6
Skills:Climb +7, Listen +3, Spot +3, Survival +5
Feats: Run, Weapon Finesse(B)
Environment: Cold or Temperate Forest
Organization: Solitary, Mates, or Prickle (4-8 porcupines)
Challenge Rating: 1/2
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 2-3 HD (small)
Level Adjustment: -

Porcupines are large, nocturnal rodents with compact bodies covered in needle-sharp quills. They at first appear harmless, but when threatened the spines stand out sharply. Porcupines tend to be peaceful herbivores found in trees at night, though hide in the day.

Porcupines stand only some 8-12 inches high, but weigh 20-40 lbs.

Combat
A porcupine tends to freeze around potential predators, and then lash out with their quill-filled tails when it closes in. They then run while it deals with the painful shock.

Quills (Ex): A porcupine's needle-sharp quills deal 1d4 damage to any creature that successfully hits it with an unarmed attack. Strength bonuses that the aggressor applied to its attack against the porcupine are also added to the damage (+5 maximum). Damage taken from porcupine quills heal at half the normal rate unless removed with a DC 16 heal check. Creatures with natural armor of +5 or more take only half damage from a porcupine's quills.

Porcupines gain a +4 racial bonus to avoid being grappled.

Skills: Porcupines have a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Dire Beaver
http://i36.tinypic.com/2mocuja.jpg

Medium Animal
Hit Dice: 3d8+9 (22 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 20 ft.(4 squares), swim 50 ft.
Armor Class: 16 (+1 dex, +5 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+8
Attack: Bite +5 melee (1d4+2)
Full Attack: Bite +5 melee (1d4+2) and slam -1 melee (1d3+1)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Gnawer
Special Qualities: Hold breath, low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +2
Abilities Str 14, Dex 13, Con 17, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6
Skills: Craft (carpentry) +2, Listen +4, Spot +4, Swim +12
Feats: Improved Grapple, Weapon Focus (bite)
Environment: Cold forest or aquatic
Organization: Solitary, mates, or colony (3-16)
Challenge Rating: 1
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 4 HD (medium), 5-8 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: -

Dire beavers appear much like a normal beaver, except they are eight feet in length and leaner in form. with a whip-like tail. Their broad faced sport incisors nearly 6 inches in length. Their webbed feet are made for swimming, with long, curved claws.

Dire beavers weigh 200 lbs. and is as tall as a large dog at its shoulder.

Combat
A dire beaver is much more territorial than their lesser brethren. They will slap their tail loudly to warn off intruders. If this does not make them leave they hobble forward to bite and try to drag the creature into the chill waters where it lives.

Gnawer (Ex): A dire beaver's bite does double damage when dealing damage to wooden objects or plant creatures.

Hold Breath (Ex): A dire beaver can hold its breath for a number of rounds equal to 10 x its constitution score.

Skills: A dire beaver has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-08-19, 10:36 AM
Hm. Is it strange that my only grievance is that the Dire Beaver having a thinner tail means that it doesn't really live anything like a real beaver would? The tail is instrumental in helping them to build their damns...

I'd rather see it with a proper beaver-like tail, which it might use to send foes flying. Maybe up it to size Large and give it the Awesome Blow feat for use with a tail slap?

Just thoughts.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-08-19, 10:41 AM
Hm. Is it strange that my only grievance is that the Dire Beaver having a thinner tail means that it doesn't really live anything like a real beaver would? The tail is instrumental in helping them to build their damns...
This is actually based off of a real dire beaver, which had a thinner tail (that is, for it's size. Still far wide than a normal beaver's... or the beaver itself for that matter).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castoroides_ohioensis

I'd rather see it with a proper beaver-like tail, which it might use to send foes flying. Maybe up it to size Large and give it the Awesome Blow feat for use with a tail slap?
Sure can. That's what the slam attack is, the tail. Advance it a couple HD and let it blow away :smallwink:

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-08-19, 10:45 AM
This is actually based off of a real dire beaver, which had a thinner tail (that is, for it's size. Still far wide than a normal beaver's... or the beaver itself for that matter).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castoroides_ohioensis

Well knock me down with a Dire Beaver tail...it's real! You learn something new every day.

I can't find any other fault, my good man. 10/10 for you...again. :smallbiggrin:

DrWeird
2010-08-19, 10:47 AM
Porcupine? Bear Grylls killed one of those things with his bare hands. However, the site of a dire beaver building a dam made of bones and claws and menacing with spikes of iron would be a horrifying sight.

No, but seriously, the porcupine should have something written in that somebody flanking it is in for a nasty surprise.

Temotei
2010-08-19, 11:44 AM
Skills: Porcupines have a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened.

I get this picture of a porcupine climbing a wall with its quills. :smallamused:

Waargh!
2010-08-19, 12:01 PM
Quills (Ex): A porcupine's needle-sharp quills deal 1d4 piercingdamage to any creature that successfully hits it with an unarmed attack grabs it or starts its turn grappled with it Strength bonuses that the aggressor applied to its attack against the porcupine are also added to the damage. Damage taken from porcupine quills heal at half the normal rate unless removed with a DC 16 heal check. Creatures with natural armor of +5 or more take only half damage from a porcupine's quills.

The grappling just makes the most sense and that is how spikes work as well.
Hitting harder a needle doesn't mean you will deal more damage to your self.
You are thinking "pierce you skin with the quills, but still hit the porcupine". So, if you have a +10 strength you will hit it harder. If you have a -5 strength you hit it softly. In both cases you have pierced your skin with the same needles. The -5 might actually mean you did it slower and it was more painful. Practically, hitting it harder is your best choice because of that.
Also, if you are wearing a full-plate or simply some gloves, your attack is still unarmed, but practically you wouldn't be dealt damage at all. So the +5 natural armor "shield" doesn't make that much sense. Don't go into that much details, because you would also have to think WHERE the natural armor is (maybe it is not on your palms that you are using to hit it with).

Furthermore, mechanic-wise spikes don't work that way. Because you don't want the super-strong-leveled-up Barbarian punching a porcupine and being dealt 1d4+40 damage. And the super-weak-noob Wizard punching it and being deal 1d4 damage. Makes no sense.
You also don't want this Master Monk that can pass a Golem's iron skin without feeling pain with simply a high Basic Attack (high skill) being dealt a lot of damage from some porcupine's needles.

What you could do is have this:
Quills (EX): ... If you miss the porcupine you are dealt 1d4 piercing damage.

Now that can you can simulate more nicely. You hit it but couldn't by pass its needles. You are thus dealt damage from them. This works well for a weak person trying to kick them or punch them. If he manages to do it right, good. Otherwise, too bad.
If you are just strong enough to deal damage by choosing to hit the needles you can add that possibility as well. Typically if you score [AC-your STR] you hit it but are dealt damage.
You can add +STR damage on this occasion and/or if you miss.

To simplify I would finally combine everything and have simply this:

Quills (Ex): A porcupine's needle-sharp quills deal 1d4 piercing damage to any creature that attacks it (hits or miss) with an unarmed attack, grabs it or starts its turn grappled with it. Damage taken from porcupine quills heal at half the normal rate unless removed with a DC 16 heal check.

I hadn't mention why I crossed out the Natural Armor part. Well, because you have two problems
a) If you have non-natural armor, like a full-plate with iron gloves, it is even better.
b) Natural armors are not full-body armors necessarily. A porcupine biting another porcupine won't have any protection, its +5 NA comes mostly from its needles.

To solve this you can just phrase what is logical true. That you get the damage if you physically touch it. To simplify, if you have a +5 NA or more (no matter where) you are dealt half damage. If you are wearing gloves or boots with hardness of +X or more, you are dealt no damage.

I have to add also that you might want to add the occasion of stepping on it, to have it like a trap in a dark room. You won't be attacking or grappling with it, so you won't be dealt damage. You should add this as well.

Now I would FINALIZE quills like

Quills (Ex): A porcupine's needle-sharp quills deal 1d4 piercing damage to any creature grabs it or starts its turn grappled with it. If you physically touch it you are dealt 1d4 piercing damage** plus 1d4 additional piercing damage if it involved using an unarmed attack against it. Damage taken from porcupine quills heal at half the normal rate unless removed with a DC 16 heal check.

Porcupine gets an additional + 5 natural bonus against unarmed or natural attacks.

Porcupines gain a +4 racial bonus to avoid being grappled.

**To determine if you physically touch it (like punch it while wearing an iron glove or stepping on it) assume that the needles can by-pass armor up to +4 armor bonus or/and that the damage is subject to Hardness and DR (so the iron glove would reduce the damage by its hardness maybe your boots as well).

Now, you add a +5 armor bonus to simulate even better the quills against unarmed damage. It is simply harder to hit it. If you hit it with your bare hands you will be dealt damage since you physically touched it.
It you miss, but you would hit its Touch AC, then leave it up to the DM or for any other details of touching it.
Finally, if you use an unarmed attack against it (and you actually touch it) then you are dealt an additional 1d4 damage (still a penalty you wanted)

-----------------
Include also the original name of the Dire Beaver then in parenthesis after its name, just because it will give it the "based on a true story" marketing bonus

EDIT: Siiiigh. That was waaaay too much things for a porcupine monster reply :( :S

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-08-19, 12:23 PM
Hitting harder a needle doesn't mean you will deal more damage to your self.
It does in my experience. When I'm not at work I prefer to be barefoot. I've accidentally stepped on nails while walking and got pricked. Then once I was running and it went all the way through.

You are thinking "pierce you skin with the quills, but still hit the porcupine". So, if you have a +10 strength you will hit it harder. If you have a -5 strength you hit it softly. In both cases you have pierced your skin with the same needles. The -5 might actually mean you did it slower and it was more painful. Practically, hitting it harder is your best choice because of that.
If you hit it slowly then you'd pull your hand away instead of letting it slowly sink in. If you just hit it less hard you can't drive it in as far, thus dealing less damage.

You still damage the porcupine if you get past its armor class, you just hurt yourself while doing so. There are a number of other creatures that do this as well.

Also, if you are wearing a full-plate or simply some gloves, your attack is still unarmed, but practically you wouldn't be dealt damage at all. So the +5 natural armor "shield" doesn't make that much sense. Don't go into that much details, because you would also have to think WHERE the natural armor is (maybe it is not on your palms that you are using to hit it with).
Even with thick gloves I've punctured myself while grabbing hold of blackberry vines. Porcupines have quills nearly a foot long. There are also other published creatures that cannot do damage to creatures with a certain AC. That's what gave me the idea.

Furthermore, mechanic-wise spikes don't work that way. Because you don't want the super-strong-leveled-up Barbarian punching a porcupine and being dealt 1d4+40 damage. And the super-weak-noob Wizard punching it and being deal 1d4 damage. Makes no sense.
That'd be kind of funny actually. I think I'll add a cap, up to +5 strength bonus.

You also don't want this Master Monk that can pass a Golem's iron skin without feeling pain with simply a high Basic Attack (high skill) being dealt a lot of damage from some porcupine's needles.
There is a big difference between punching a surface and being stuck with a needle. See my foot reference above. I can run on gravel and break bricks with these clunkers. A little nail or thorn can still puncture me good and proper.

I have to add also that you might want to add the occasion of stepping on it, to have it like a trap in a dark room. You won't be attacking or grappling with it, so you won't be dealt damage. You should add this as well.
Except porcupines can be petted while happy. They only stick up their quills when threatened.

Though I appreciate your time and effort, I can't agree that the changes make any more sense, and veer into way too much effort for a simple mechanic.

Latronis
2010-08-19, 12:40 PM
petting happy porcupines is interesting, can kinda imagine a wizard stroking one like he might a cat familiar, though instead of it biting someone else who tries it, they get a hand full of quills :P

Reminds me of the time I watched an echidna stroking another's spines. It looked so strangely enough sensual.

Schylerwalker
2010-08-20, 12:33 PM
Dire Beavers should have a musk attack! They're...musky!

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-08-20, 12:37 PM
petting happy porcupines is interesting, can kinda imagine a wizard stroking one like he might a cat familiar, though instead of it biting someone else who tries it, they get a hand full of quills :P
Or an old hermit with levels in ranger. Porcupine animal companion. Both of them are prickly old coots... GET OFF MY LAWN!

Reminds me of the time I watched an echidna stroking another's spines. It looked so strangely enough sensual.
And a thousand Furries get ideas. Move over, Catgirls, the Echidnagirls have arrived :smallsigh:

Dire Beavers should have a musk attack! They're...musky!
What does a beaver smell like? :smallconfused:

Schylerwalker
2010-08-20, 01:30 PM
Well, North American and European beavers have sacs located near their...well...the base of their tails. They produce a powerful scent when combined with the creature's urine, usually used to mark territory.

With a creature as large as a dire beaver, though, you could sicken or nauseate creatures.

Sorry if this grosses people out or anything. >> But, you know, this stuff is actually used in like, cologne and perfume.

Temotei
2010-08-20, 01:31 PM
Sorry if this grosses people out or anything. >> But, you know, this stuff is actually used in like, cologne and perfume.

It's a good thing I've sworn off of that stuff. A very good thing.

Latronis
2010-08-20, 04:30 PM
Oh come on that's hardly even the ickiest thing we've done with animal products over our history.

Temotei
2010-08-20, 05:49 PM
Oh come on that's hardly even the ickiest thing we've done with animal products over our history.

That doesn't make it any less good.