PDA

View Full Version : Why Conjuration Needs a Cone Attack.

DrWeird
2010-08-19, 01:28 PM
Cone of Cats
Conjuration [Summoning]
Level: Sor/Wiz 4, Druid 3
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 60 ft.
Area: Cone-shaped burst
Duration: Primary - Instantaneous, Secondary [Summoned Cats] 1round/caster level
Saving Throw: Reflex half
Spell Resistance: Yes

Cone of cats flings outwards a cone of angry, summoned cats, originating at your hand and extending outward in a cone. It sends a spray of felines rocketing towards everyone caught in it, dealing 1d6 slashing damage to every creature inside the radius, and immediately besetting them with the unhappy kitties, up to 1d4 per caster level summoned that attack whichever creature they collide with first.

Arcane Material Component

A small cat fetish. (Not that kind of fetish, the tribal kind.)

-Cat Attack Dynamics-
Sinclair the Druid summons 6 cats with the Cone of Cats. The closest target within the cone is struck by the most cats, meaning 1/3 all the total cats - so Grogtor the Orc is now fighting off two cats, and Snicvry the Goblin is besieged and murdered by 1/2 the remaining cats, so two of them maul the green guy to death. Finally, Rickles the Gnoll finds himself swamped by 1/1 the remaining cats - another two. In situations with odd numbers, round down. If all cats are taken up, then that target is lucky and not covered in cats.

the denominator for the distribution of cats falls to the number of creatures caught in the cone of cats. Three enemies equates to a primary denominator of 1/3, and then subtracts by one going down. If enemies are the same length from a caster, they choose which is hit by more.

3 enemies, 9 cats = 3 for each, because 1/3 of 9 = 3, 1/2 of 6 = 3, & 1/1 of 3 = 3

Eurus
2010-08-19, 01:36 PM
I demand that you make a Cone of Bears as a higher-level version.

Fax Celestis
2010-08-19, 01:44 PM
Lols. So much lols.

DracoDei
2010-08-19, 01:45 PM
You need to give the exact math behind the distribution of the cats, not just an example (keep the example of course).

Fax Celestis
2010-08-19, 01:52 PM
I demand that you make a Cone of Bears as a higher-level version.

Cone of godless killing machines would be a 9th level spell.

Set
2010-08-19, 01:55 PM
Cone of Angry Bees seems like a logical outgrowth of this research.

DrWeird
2010-08-19, 02:03 PM

You mean this? (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/insectPlague.htm)

Temotei
2010-08-19, 02:40 PM
You need to give the exact math behind the distribution of the cats, not just an example (keep the example of course).

It's 1d4 per caster level, according to the text. It's at the end of the first paragraph.

Knaight
2010-08-19, 03:02 PM
In total, how many latch on to each target lacks a formula. That said, I would probably just roll randomly for each target, cone spells usually don't let people benefit from targets who would be hit first, this fits in with the general trend.

DrWeird
2010-08-19, 03:18 PM
In total, how many latch on to each target lacks a formula. That said, I would probably just roll randomly for each target, cone spells usually don't let people benefit from targets who would be hit first, this fits in with the general trend.

I put a breakdown of how it works at the bottom of the first post.

OzymandiasVolt
2010-08-19, 03:30 PM
Yes. This is the spell that I like. This spell is best spell.

Zom B
2010-08-19, 03:34 PM

You need a Cone of Dogs, and the dogs should cast Cone of Bees as a breath-weapon attack.

Knaight
2010-08-19, 03:48 PM
I put a breakdown of how it works at the bottom of the first post.

Excellent, though that should probably be above the example. The current wording is a bit unclear, the example makes it easy enough to piece together, but something like "Targets are struck sequentially with the number of attached cats resolved for individual targets. Each target is struck by a number of cats equal to the remaining number of cats divided by the remaining number of targets, rounding down. The quantity of targets and cats is recalculated between targets.", though that is still somewhat inelegant.

Jane_Smith
2010-08-19, 04:50 PM
I only have -1- problem with this most, epic, of epic awesomeness.

Do the cats give your martial allies flanking benefits? Cause im thinking of casting that on the rear-end of a colossal dragon to give my rogue buddy some massive flanking benefits. >.>

arguskos
2010-08-19, 05:16 PM
I only have -1- problem with this most, epic, of epic awesomeness.

Do the cats give your martial allies flanking benefits? Cause im thinking of casting that on the rear-end of a colossal dragon to give my rogue buddy some massive flanking benefits. >.>
Doesn't matter, since flanking doesn't work that way. You only get the +2 as long as anyone is flanking with you. You don't get +2 PER person flanking with you.

Volthawk
2010-08-19, 05:47 PM
I remember someone made a spell like this before, just with kobolds.

DracoDei
2010-08-19, 08:23 PM
It's 1d4 per caster level, according to the text. It's at the end of the first paragraph.
Irrelevant to my point. I may not have been very clear, since you misunderstood, and Knaight repeated what I was trying to ask him to do.

Zom B
2010-08-19, 08:28 PM
I remember someone made a spell like this before, just with kobolds.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112712

jiriku
2010-08-19, 08:33 PM
Most excellent. With the math involved, this spell both summons cats and kills catgirls. I think you could kill an arbitrarily large number of level 1 commoners with this spell.

Jane_Smith
2010-08-19, 08:36 PM
-lets out an evil sounding, long, and drawn out "Excellent..."- :smallamused:

Knaight
2010-08-19, 10:57 PM
Irrelevant to my point. I may not have been very clear, since you misunderstood, and Knaight repeated what I was trying to ask him to do.

Honestly, that was clarification for your point as much as anything. Looking just at the two of us you mentioned you have a 50% understanding rate, not a 0% understanding rate.

MoleMage
2010-08-19, 11:49 PM
A simpler way to deal with the number of cats on a given target is to make it deal damage as per normal, then 1d4 cats latch on to a number of targets equal to caster level, in order of closeness. So, caster level 8 on 5 targets, everyone gets 1d4 cats, and then the three closest get an additional 1d4 cats each.

Cespenar
2010-08-20, 12:26 AM
What happens if I apply Explosive spell to this?

DrWeird
2010-08-20, 01:47 PM
Cats accelerated to Mach 4, either burning holes through unsuspecting Mindflayers or sending duergar flying in every direction.

DracoDei
2010-08-20, 01:59 PM
Either that or the cats are replaced with Wormz style exploding sheep...
Note that I don't even know what Explosive Spell does...

Zaydos
2010-08-20, 02:18 PM
I just saw cats doing flying tackles to bull rush people to the edge of the AoE. Angry cats.

Glimbur
2010-08-20, 02:46 PM
Why is this SR: Yes? Most Conjuration [Summoning] spells, like Summon Monster, are SR: No.

DrWeird
2010-08-21, 11:16 AM
The slashing damage is technically magical.