PDA

View Full Version : ToB manuever swap out question.

2xMachina
2010-08-19, 01:34 PM
I've got a question.

Say, you took a lvl 1 White raven manuever, qualifying you for WRT (needs 1 WR). What happens if I swap out the lvl 1 WR manuever? Can I do that?

Greenish
2010-08-19, 01:36 PM
Say, you took a lvl 1 White raven manuever, qualifying you for WRT (needs 1 WR). What happens if I swap out the lvl 1 WR manuever? Can I do that?You can, and it won't change anything. You only need the prerequisites to pick the maneuvers, not to use them (and WRT would qualify itself anyhow).

hamishspence
2010-08-19, 01:37 PM
You can- once you've got a maneuver, it can qualify as its own prerequisite.

2xMachina
2010-08-19, 01:42 PM
Cool. Makes it much nicer.

Keld Denar
2010-08-19, 02:13 PM
You can also count a manevuer you are swapping out as a manevuer known for the purpose of qualifying for a manevuer.

Like, if you hit Warblade6 and your only WR manevuer known is Dousing the Flame, you could swap it out for WRT, because you knew 1 WR manevuer when you started the swap. Its in the rules

Its also one of the VERY few exceptions to the standard D&D rules of prerequisites.

Chen
2010-08-19, 02:16 PM
You can- once you've got a maneuver, it can qualify as its own prerequisite.

I was corrected about this once and while it is true, its also irrelevant. Unlike a ton of other things that have pre-reqs, maneuver pre-reqs are only used to learn the maneuver. You do not need to retain them to use or ready the maneuver.

hamishspence
2010-08-19, 02:24 PM
So, if you have a White Raven that requires four other maneuvers to learn, and once you've learned it, you swap all the others out, the manuever still works?

Frosty
2010-08-19, 02:33 PM
So, if you have a White Raven that requires four other maneuvers to learn, and once you've learned it, you swap all the others out, the manuever still works?

How would you have enough levels to swap all the others out? It's generally not an issue due to the fact that only 9th level maneuvers (and not all of them at that) have 4 maneuvers of the same discipline as prereq. You only have 2 more chances to switch maneuvers out. But yes, your maneuver still works.

hamishspence
2010-08-19, 02:41 PM
Should have said something like 3 maneuvers.

Shadow Hand and Desert Wind both have 9th level maneuvers that require you to have a minimum of 5 others to qualify, but not lower level ones that require 4 others.

Prime32
2010-08-19, 02:48 PM
Many groups play without maneuver prerequisites anyway. It makes it a lot easier to build NPCs.