PDA

View Full Version : I Am A Dumb (Computer Related)

Deth Muncher
2010-08-19, 02:08 PM
So...I think I deleted my Recycle Bin. >_< What is this I don't even

What do I do to get it back?

Keld Denar
2010-08-19, 02:16 PM
Assuming XP, right click on the blank desktop and go to properties.

Once there, got to the Desktop tab and click on the "Customize Desktop" button. You should see several checkable boxes next to things like "My Computer" and "My Documents". Just check or uncheck the ones you want.

Hmmmm, turns out this doesn't work like I thought.

EDIT: I just tried, and I can't figure out how to even delete the recycle bin icon...how did you manage this?

Eurus
2010-08-19, 02:23 PM
...Emptied it, or deleted it?

Deth Muncher
2010-08-19, 02:37 PM
...Emptied it, or deleted it?

Deleted it. As in, it is gone and I can no longer find it.

ALSO, I'm using Vista.

EDIT: Crisis averted. I went to Personalize, then Change Desktop Icons.

Don Julio Anejo
2010-08-19, 03:46 PM
I Am A Dumb
Yes. Yes you are a dumb. How does it make you feel being one?

The Antagonist
2010-08-19, 04:43 PM
I don't know if any of these will work because I don't know what kind of computer you have, but it's worth a shot:

1. First off, open up some folder, like a "My Pictures" or "My Music" folder. On most computers, there's a drop-down menu on the top that says something like "Address". From the drop-down, select "desktop". See if it's there.

2. Open your start menu and go to "My Computer". Ctrl+F and search "recycle bin" - see if anything comes up.

3. Also look under your control panel.

arguskos
2010-08-19, 05:14 PM
I don't know if any of these will work because I don't know what kind of computer you have, but it's worth a shot:

1. First off, open up some folder, like a "My Pictures" or "My Music" folder. On most computers, there's a drop-down menu on the top that says something like "Address". From the drop-down, select "desktop". See if it's there.

2. Open your start menu and go to "My Computer". Ctrl+F and search "recycle bin" - see if anything comes up.

3. Also look under your control panel.
While well intentioned, if you look two posts up, you'll see that Deth Muncher fixed it already. :smallwink:

Moglorosh
2010-08-19, 05:20 PM
I tend to get rid of mine the day I set my computer up. Honestly I don't see what purpose it serves.

tehjohnli
2010-08-19, 06:13 PM
Impressive. :)
I think you can still delete stuff though...?

Don Julio Anejo
2010-08-19, 07:03 PM
I think you can still delete stuff though...?
You can still access it from places like Windows Explorer or your Windows folder. Or alternatively, you can let it empty itself, which typically happens when deleted stuff takes up more than 10% of your C drive space.

Moglorosh
2010-08-19, 08:19 PM
You can still access it from places like Windows Explorer or your Windows folder. Or alternatively, you can let it empty itself, which typically happens when deleted stuff takes up more than 10% of your C drive space.
Or, hold shift when you press the delete key. That way it's gone forever, no recycle bin necessary.

Partof1
2010-08-19, 09:53 PM
That's pretty unusual, I must admit.

I've heard stories of people deleting their internet icons :P

IonDragon
2010-08-20, 04:20 AM
That is actually quite unusual. Normally deleting the recycle bin requires doing some stuff with the registry editor. However, with typing in the key words "Restore missing recycle bin" into firefox, the first result was: this (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810869). It even has a "fix it for me" button. Give that a try.