PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Definitive Rules on Charging Damage Multiplication

Harris the Ford
2010-08-19, 02:16 PM
I want to know once and for all what types of damage are multiplied on a charge with a lance. I understand how double-double damage makes 3x not 4x so I'm squared away on that but I want to know what types of damage are multiplied;to find this out I have created a mock scenario.

A horseback rider charges with a lance, damage multiplier is 2x. which of the following would be multiplied by two?

1. weapon damage (duh, but i want to write EVERYTHING down)

2. strength bonus

3. power attack damage

4. weapon enhancement bonus

5. weapon qualities (flaming, vampiric, shocking, etc.)

6. buffs (bless, inspire competence, anything that gives you +to damage)

7. anything else?

Only reason I am asking is because I have heard 2 or 3 different explanations and I want to know what RAW and SRD have to say about the matter.

PId6
2010-08-19, 02:39 PM
Basically, when you multiply damage, you reroll the original damage roll, excluding all bonus damage expressed in dice (such as Sneak Attack). So weapon damage, Str modifier, Power Attack, weapon enhancement, weapon properties that add +X damage (like Collision), and buffs that are straight +X (like Inspire Courage) are all multiplied, while Sneak Attack, weapon properties that add +XdY damage (like Flaming or Shocking), and buffs that add +XdY damage (like Dragonfire Inspiration) are not multiplied.

It's in the rules for multiplying damage (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatStatistics.htm#multiplyingDamage).

Harris the Ford
2010-08-19, 03:37 PM
Basically, when you multiply damage, you reroll the original damage roll, excluding all bonus damage expressed in dice (such as Sneak Attack). So weapon damage, Str modifier, Power Attack, weapon enhancement, weapon properties that add +X damage (like Collision), and buffs that are straight +X (like Inspire Courage) are all multiplied, while Sneak Attack, weapon properties that add +XdY damage (like Flaming or Shocking), and buffs that add +XdY damage (like Dragonfire Inspiration) are not multiplied.

It's in the rules for multiplying damage (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatStatistics.htm#multiplyingDamage).

so basically all but number 5 then. Thats good, cuz thats the way I have been doing it.