PDA

View Full Version : Will the Order ever meet Elan's mom?

Cybertoy00
2010-08-19, 04:21 PM
I ask because we've met all the other members of his family. I mean, it's been over 700 comics sense we learned about 'the semi-secret origin of Elan and Nale' and met with his long-missing father, I wonder if its only a matter of time before we meet his mother as well. Or if Nale will ever meet his long-missing mother. In real life, the chances of such a think would be slim, but in this comic full of satirized cliches (No offense, Rich!), they'd be pretty good.
If this type of thread has been already posted, please say so.

Swordpriest
2010-08-19, 05:40 PM
Well, I'd say there's at least a 50% chance of it. Of course, that begs the question of why Elan hasn't made any effort to even send her a letter -- presumably, she must wonder every quarter or half-year what his fate has been. However, who knows how bards view family ties when there's no drama involved.

rewinn
2010-08-19, 05:42 PM
Well, I'd say there's at least a 50% chance of it. Of course, that begs the question of why Elan hasn't made any effort to even send her a letter -- presumably, she must wonder every quarter or half-year what his fate has been. However, who knows how bards view family ties when there's no drama involved.

Do we even know when or how Elan left home?

Crisis21
2010-08-19, 05:44 PM
How do we know Elan hasn't written her a letter? We don't. Not until Rich says one way or the other.

I will say that if the Order is going to meet Elan's mother, it will be on the way to the 5th gate, since it is to the north and she would live in the Northern lands most likely.

However, beyond the Order meeting Elan's mom, I now want to see how a meeting between her and her other son Nale would go even more.

Gift Jeraff
2010-08-19, 06:56 PM
I can see harming her being a part of Nale's plan, or maybe she'll get a quick visit from the Order (nothing as major as Tarquin).

For some reason, I have a feeling that Nale's plan with the Gates is to unmake Tarquin (for denying him) and unmake everyone Elan loves (namely Haley, Roy, and his mother), yet leave Elan intact (possibly Soul Bound).
I can also see her town being doomed as a result of being Elan's hometown.

Crisis21
2010-08-19, 07:06 PM
I can see harming her being a part of Nale's plan, or maybe she'll get a quick visit from the Order (nothing as major as Tarquin).

I can too, but only after Nale monologues his master plan to her, at which point she starts critiquing it in detail.

Kranden
2010-08-19, 07:51 PM
Probably about as likely as meeting any of Belkars family. :smallamused:

factotum
2010-08-20, 01:29 AM
I'm not sure they're going to get a chance to. She's on the other continent, and when they go back there they'll be heading into Dwarven lands, not stopping off at a random bar somewhere!

Morph Bark
2010-08-20, 09:22 AM
Probably about as likely as meeting any of Belkars family. :smallamused:

Hey now, we've seen Haley's father and will likely find out about his fate later, met Roy's entire family, V's family, Elan's father, so all that's left is Durkon and Belkar!

Nilan8888
2010-08-20, 10:58 AM
I'm actually more interested if NALE will ever meet his Mom. They certainly had enough time once they left Azure City, if he were interested.

tassaron
2010-08-20, 02:50 PM
I think if we ever see Elan's mother, it'll be as a result of whatever plan Nale has, if and when he becomes involved in this story arc. Otherwise, I can't see the Order stopping by to visit her when they're on a quest to save the world.

faustin
2010-08-24, 11:19 AM
Sending Elan a "familiar group" photo of his mom and The Linear Guild (with Nale´s ceremonial dagger above her back withouth her notice:smalleek:) could be a really effective way to lure TOoS to the next Nale´s lame evil plot/trap.
The question is... would Nale be capable of cold killing in sacrifice his sweet caring mother without even a little excuse as the "NO ONE DENNIES ME".:smallconfused:

TehSheen
2010-08-24, 02:17 PM
If it's dramatic and serves the plot, the Order will probably meet Elan's mom.

Swordpriest
2010-08-25, 09:23 AM
The question is... would Nale be capable of cold killing in sacrifice his sweet caring mother without even a little excuse as the "NO ONE DENNIES ME".:smallconfused:

Probably -- after all, he barely knows her. Heck, the divorce happened when he was an infant, which means that it's impossible he remembers her unless he visited her later on at some time.

Morquard
2010-08-25, 10:04 AM
Probably -- after all, he barely knows her. Heck, the divorce happened when he was an infant, which means that it's impossible he remembers her unless he visited her later on at some time.
Actually he could see the divorce and her giving him up to his father as abandoning him, and not wanting him, aka denying him.

ThePhantasm
2010-08-25, 11:36 PM
How's this for an idea: Nale captures Elan's Mom, and Elan teams up with a (somewhat reluctant) Tarquin to save her? Instant drama!

hobbitkniver
2010-08-26, 12:19 AM
I'd think Elan would know were his mother is and will probably get around to seeing her after he saves the world. The only way I suspect we'll see her is if Nale captures, attacks, ect. I doubt Elan's mom is very powerful, so I only see her as being bait for Elan if she is ever shown.

Detrinex
2010-08-26, 12:20 AM
It's actually semi-likely Elan will bring up his mom over dinner with the General. Remember, happy ending for Elan means they're both reunited, Belkar bites the dust, Haley and Elan "bathe the monkey" and/or marry. Give or take a few plot details, of course.

It's more likely, though, that Nale crashes the party. When was the last time something quiet and normal happened in OotS?

Connington
2010-08-26, 02:16 AM
Incidentally, have we ever seen V's parents? Because for some reason, I keep picturing them as having exaggerated gender markers, beyond the body shape and eye distance things. One of them has short hair, a beard down to his feet (yes, I know, elf), armor, battle scars, the whole works. The other has a prominent rack, flowers in her long feminine hair, dress, all that.

And yet neither V, Mommy, or Daddy ever acknowledge the fact, or speak with each other in anything but gender-neutral Elvish.

Yeah, I know, I have a really weird sense of humor.

hamishspence
2010-08-26, 06:09 AM
Tolkien did have one elf (Cirdan the Shipwright) with a long beard.

D&D elves aren't generally supposed to have facial hair (except drow which can have long sideburns) but in OoTS it might be that elves do get beards if they want.

Swordpriest
2010-08-26, 09:19 AM
Incidentally, have we ever seen V's parents? Because for some reason, I keep picturing them as having exaggerated gender markers, beyond the body shape and eye distance things. One of them has short hair, a beard down to his feet (yes, I know, elf), armor, battle scars, the whole works. The other has a prominent rack, flowers in her long feminine hair, dress, all that.

And yet neither V, Mommy, or Daddy ever acknowledge the fact, or speak with each other in anything but gender-neutral Elvish.

Yeah, I know, I have a really weird sense of humor.

Heh, I like that -- it would be great, actually. :smallamused:

ThePhantasm
2010-08-26, 09:57 AM
Elan IS supposed to have a happy ending... I think that the reuniting of his parents might be part of that.

Raging Gene Ray
2010-08-26, 10:40 AM
Elan IS supposed to have a happy ending... I think that the reuniting of his parents might be part of that.

Might...but doesn't have to be. Anyone as relentlessly naive and perky as Elan should be able to have plenty of tragedy and still be able to live happily.

faustin
2010-08-26, 02:49 PM
wait, if Elan is the ONLY member of tOoS which will get the "happy ending" (sorry for Roy-Celia fans), what will happen with Haley? Can Elan be happy withouth her?

Stmr5000
2010-08-27, 09:18 AM
wait, if Elan is the ONLY member of tOoS which will get the "happy ending" (sorry for Roy-Celia fans), what will happen with Haley? Can Elan be happy withouth her?

It was never stated for any of the others (Except Belkar and kind of Durkon) that there wouldn't be a happy ending. I would imagine Haley is all set.

Swordpriest
2010-08-27, 09:47 AM
It was never stated for any of the others (Except Belkar and kind of Durkon) that there wouldn't be a happy ending. I would imagine Haley is all set.

Yep, exactly. Nobody else asked if they'd get a happy ending, so we really can't tell one way or another. Of course, as far as Durkon's concerned, he got a happy ending too. :smallamused:

Winged789
2010-08-27, 07:00 PM
Nale will encounter her with plots to do evil, she will missunderstand his plots and improve them with her years of stratigic experience, allowing nale to have a handfull of victories which the order with the help of elan/nale's father will have to correct.. it will be nice and ironic.