PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] The Plane of Dreams

Ernir
2010-08-19, 05:31 PM
If you are called Ormur or Palli, this isn't a thread for you.

My players are about to head for the Plane of Dreams to rescue one of their companions. To make a long story short, the name of the plane is something I blurted out in a rush, when the players did something I did not really expect them to do.
I had already decided there was a Plane of Dreams in that setting. The vague idea I had is that it is a plane where reality is constantly shifting and morphing in mostly unpredictable ways. When you dream, you're actually getting viewings of what is happening on some region on that plane.

Now, the "problem" is - what kind of an encounter (or encounters) does a party consisting of a 14th level Druid, a 13th level Wizard, and possibly a 10th level Cleric get when on a plane like that?
I figure terrain that changes from round to round, and illusion-like effects are something that should be present. But what about monsters? Doppelgangers? Changelings?

The person to be rescued is a 13th level, currently Insane (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/insanity.htm) Barbarian. Any ideas on what kind of a pickle she could have gotten herself into while in an environment like this? :smalltongue:

vicente408
2010-08-19, 06:30 PM
Quori seem like a logical choice. They can be imported from Eberron into your setting, if you have access to the books.

Greenish
2010-08-19, 06:37 PM
If my memory serves, any creature that exists (and many that don't) can be encountered in the plane of dreams.

Look up all the "silliest D&D monster" articles floating around the tubes and use those. :smallwink:

enigmatime
2010-08-19, 06:47 PM
Two questions:

1. I'm not familiar with the Plane of Dreams, what happens when you sleep there?
2. What did your players do that you weren't expecting?

I might be able to help if those are answered (mostly the first question).

avr
2010-08-19, 07:02 PM
Assuming the mind of the dreamer affects the surroundings - I have a vision of a hall of mirrors producing distorted copies of said barbarian (mostly obvious, some subtly distorted.) The trick would be to locate the correct barbarian, while not getting killed by occasional insane attacks.

jiriku
2010-08-19, 07:15 PM
My Realm of Dreams is home to anthropomorphic animal races, slaad, formians, mind flayers, cranium rats, dream dwarves, the Seelie Court and associated fey, and a whole pile of other things. Put anything there. Anything at all. Dreamscapes are places where you can throw out your wildest imaginings without worrying about plausibility. In the dreamscape, breaking verisimilitude actually enhances verisimilitude!

Greenish
2010-08-19, 07:35 PM
ECS pg. 95 has the description of the plane's traits. A notable one is that the time goes by ten times faster than in the material plane.

enigmatime
2010-08-20, 02:24 AM
Ever seen Inception? If not, see it!