PDA

View Full Version : Turtle Humanoid? (D&D 3.5)

enigmatime
2010-08-19, 05:59 PM
It has recently been brought to my attention, by my elder brother, that D&D 3.5 (and all editions that he and I know of) lacks a humanoid turtle race. I'm wondering if anyone has made an HTR and if they would be willing to share it.

I will give you a cookie if you also can provide me with a Koopa race (the ones that walk on two feet not four).

Thanks much in advance!

Lyndworm
2010-08-19, 06:04 PM
There are actually two turtle-like races in 3.5.

The most obvious is the Crucian (which I always thought looked more like a beetle than a turtle, but they're specifically described as turtle-like). They can be found in Sandstorm.

The less obvious is the Tortle (which are significantly more turtly than the Crucian). As far as I know, they can only be found in Dragon Magazine #315.

Both races can be found in Crystal Keep's Races (http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Races.pdf) PDF.

enigmatime
2010-08-19, 06:11 PM
There are actually two turtle-like races in 3.5.

The most obvious is the Crucian (which I always thought looked more like a beetle than a turtle, but they're specifically described as turtle-like). They can be found in Sandstorm.

The less obvious is the Tortle (which are significantly more turtly than the Crucian). As far as I know, they can only be found in Dragon Magazine #315.

Both races can be found in Crystal Keep's Races (http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Races.pdf) PDF.

Sandstorm?

I actually meant in the first three Monster Manuals.

Lyndworm
2010-08-19, 06:46 PM
In that case, I believe that your brother is correct. If you'd like, I could pretty easily brew up a Koopa race for you. It's not difficult.

+2 Con, -2 Dex, -2 Int
Humanoid (Koopa)
Small
15ft land speed
Low-light Vision
+6 Natural Armor
Inhuman Body (Ex): Koopas must have their armor custom made to fit over their shell. Armor for a Koopa has its base price doubled.
Automatic Languages: Koopadoop and Common. Bonus Languages: Any
Favored Class: Barbarian (?)

How's that?

Zom B
2010-08-19, 06:47 PM
Sandstorm?

I actually meant in the first three Monster Manuals.

Well, if you're going to limit the books, yeah, of course you don't have any. Sandstorm was one of five "environment" books that WotC released, and it's the one that deals with desert climates.

Also, yeah it looks like a cross between a beetle and a tortoise.

Also also, the temptation is there to make a Crucian Ninja, age 17, with a Mutation from the d20 system.

Lyndworm
2010-08-19, 06:48 PM
I know a guy who made a Tortle ninja with a template so that he could say he was mutated. I didn't get to play in that game, but it sounded awesome.

enigmatime
2010-08-19, 07:02 PM
In that case, I believe that your brother is correct. If you'd like, I could pretty easily brew up a Koopa race for you. It's not difficult.

+2 Con, -2 Dex, -2 Int
Humanoid (Koopa)
Small
15ft land speed
Low-light Vision
+6 Natural Armor
Inhuman Body (Ex): Koopas must have their armor custom made to fit over their shell. Armor for a Koopa has its base price doubled.

How's that?

That is good. What kind of cookies do you like?

Lyndworm
2010-08-19, 07:21 PM
Your thanks is all I need, citizen. You can't go wrong with chocolate chip, though.

Zom B
2010-08-19, 07:31 PM
I know a guy who made a Tortle ninja with a template so that he could say he was mutated. I didn't get to play in that game, but it sounded awesome.

DM: What's his name?
Player: ...Leotello Raphaelangelo.

SilverClawShift
2010-08-19, 07:37 PM
Isn't there a turtle race in oriental adventures? The Kappa I think?

Of course that's 3.0 instead of 3.5

Lyndworm
2010-08-19, 07:44 PM
I don't recall the book very well, but aren't Kappa goblinoids?

Zom B
2010-08-19, 07:47 PM
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/oa_gallery/Kappa.jpg

I don't have the book, but I believe they are.

Lyndworm
2010-08-19, 07:49 PM
Apparently not; thanks for the clarification.

They do appear to be based very heavily on the Kappa from Japanese mythology, however, including the hole in their head. I'm not sure it fits the OP's request very well, but I'd have to check the mechanics.

Andion Isurand
2010-08-19, 09:05 PM
-2 Dex, +2 Con, +2 Wis, -2 Cha
medium size
low-light vision
+3 natural armor
speed 20 ft
swim 10 ft.
+8 racial bonus on swim checks
favored class: cleric

DragoonWraith
2010-08-19, 09:17 PM

+2 Con, -2 Dex, -2 Int
Humanoid (Koopa)
Small
15ft land speed
Low-light Vision
+6 Natural Armor

How's that?
Why'd you make it so weak? Net negative ability modifiers, lower speed than any race I'm aware of, doubled cost on armor, all for +6 NA? That doesn't seem right. If anything, I'd take a cue from the Warforged and give them "racial armor" in the form of the shell, and give them an ability to throw it.

Lyndworm
2010-08-19, 10:22 PM
Why'd you make it so weak? Net negative ability modifiers, lower speed than any race I'm aware of, doubled cost on armor, all for +6 NA? That doesn't seem right. If anything, I'd take a cue from the Warforged and give them "racial armor" in the form of the shell, and give them an ability to throw it.
You're right, of course. I threw it together very quickly and, in retrospect, another glanceover would've been in everyone's best interest. I gave them such a slow landspeed because I felt that they should be slower than halflings, but I suppose the Dex penalty is help enough in that area. I'll edit in a shell attack of some sort.

A redo:

+4 Con, -2 Dex, -2 Int
Humanoid (Koopa)
Small
20ft land speed
Low-light Vision
+6 Natural Armor
Shell Tossing (Ex): Though turtle-like in appearance and function, a koopa's shell is not actually attached to it's body. A koopa can contract and expand it's body rapidly, launching the shell from its body. As a Standard action, a koopa can fire it's shell as a ranged weapon with a range increment of 20ft. This weapon deals 1d6 Bludgeoning damage and has a critical threat range of 20/x2. Once the shell is launched, the koopa loses its Natural Armor bonus to Armor Class until it is worn again. It takes a full-round action for a koopa to climb back into it's shell.

How's that?

enigmatime
2010-08-20, 02:32 AM
You're right, of course. I threw it together very quickly and, in retrospect, another glanceover would've been in everyone's best interest. I gave them such a slow landspeed because I felt that they should be slower than halflings, but I suppose the Dex penalty is help enough in that area. I'll edit in a shell attack of some sort.

A redo:

+4 Con, -2 Dex, -2 Int
Humanoid (Koopa)
Small
20ft land speed
Low-light Vision
+6 Natural Armor
Shell Tossing (Ex): Though turtle-like in appearance and function, a koopa's shell is not actually attached to it's body. A koopa can contract and expand it's body rapidly, launching the shell from its body. As a Standard action, a koopa can fire it's shell as a ranged weapon with a range increment of 20ft. This weapon deals 1d6 Bludgeoning damage and has a critical threat range of 20/x2. Once the shell is launched, the koopa loses its Natural Armor bonus to Armor Class until it is worn again. It takes a full-round action for a koopa to climb back into it's shell.

How's that?

That's better but if I recall correctly, they never actually leave their shell (except if it's stolen by Fuzzies). *hands chocolate chip cookie* Homemade, of course!

Lyndworm
2010-08-20, 04:45 AM
That's better but if I recall correctly, they never actually leave their shell (except if it's stolen by Fuzzies).
I don't remember seeing a Koopa leaving it's shell willingly, either. It seemed like a neat ability to give them, though.

*hands chocolate chip cookie* Homemade, of course!
Why, thank you. *nom*

Calmar
2010-08-20, 07:02 AM
Well, I suppose the kappa is the inspiration for the coopa.

Darkxarth
2010-08-20, 07:10 AM
Created this a while back in a similar thread. It's not particularly amazing, but it is closely based off of another D&D race, I believe.

Anthropomorphic Turtle

+6 Con, +2 Strength, +2 Wisdom, -2 Dex
Medium Sized
Base Land Speed: 30 ft
Swim Speed: 20 ft
Racial Hit Dice: An Anthropomorphic Turtle begins with two levels of monstrous humanoid, which provide 2d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +2, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +0, Ref +3, and Will +3.
Racial Skills: An Anthropomorphic Turtle's monstrous humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 5 × (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1). Its class skills are Spot and Listen. Anthropomorphic Turtles have a +4 racial bonus on Hide checks (+8 in rocky or underground surroundings). In addition, they have a +8 bonus on Swim checks and have the ability to take 10 on a Swim check at any time.
Racial Feats: An Anthropomorphic Turtle’s monstrous humanoid levels give it one feat.
Special Attacks: None
Special Qualities: Low-Light Vision, Turtle’s Shell
Favored Class: Monk
Level Adjustment: +2

Turtle’s Shell (Ex): An Anthropomorphic Turtle's resilient skin and tough shell give it a +8 natural armor bonus. However, the Anthropomorphic Turtle's shell prevents it from wearing any kind of normal armor. It can however wear Bracers of Armor and it still benefits from the effects of the Mage Armor spell.
As a standard action, which does not provoke an attack of opportunity, an Anthropomorphic Turtle can draw all its extremities into its hard shell. This grants it Damage Reduction 10/-. However, while withdrawn into its shell, the turtle cannot take any physical action (except coming out of its shell), and is treated as flat-footed and blind. The turtle can exit this state and return to its normal state as a move action that does provoke an attack of opportunity.

Anthropomorphic Turtles are land-dwelling, humanoid turtles. They walk upright with a ponderous, rolling gait. The creatures have leathery, reptilian skin and shells that cover their backs and bellies. Only their heads, limbs, and tails stick out of their shells. An adult Anthropomorphic Turtle stands about 6 feet tall and weighs more than 500 pounds.
Anthropomorphic Turtles have no hair; their skin is mostly olive or blue-green. Their back shells are usually shinier and darker than their skin, while their front shells tend to be lighter, with a yellowish cast. An Anthropomorphic Turtle's eyes look something like the eyes of humans, except that the pupils are horizontal ovals in shape. The irises are vibrantly colored, usually blue, but sometimes green or red. An Anthropomorphic Turtle's mouth is beaklike and toothless.
Anthropomorphic Turtles are stocky, but most of their weight comes from their shells, so they tend to remain at the same weight throughout their adult lives, never growing fat or thin. Their arms and hands are shaped like those of humans, but thicker and tipped with sharp claws. Anthropomorphic Turtles can wield most weapons as easily as humans. They usually wear no clothing, though some may wear cloaks, belts, or harnesses for carrying tools and supplies.

Despite their ancestry, Anthropomorphic Turtles are not especially slow, either mentally or physically; however, they are thinkers who might ponder a question a little longer than most before answering. Most Anthropomorphic Turtles are peaceful and slow to anger. While they have the same range of emotions as humans, Anthropomorphic Turtles are not as demonstrative and often seem cold and distant to more passionate races. Anthropomorphic Turtles tend to be lawful and good; chaotic or evil individuals are quite rare.
Anthropomorphic Turtles speak their own language, simply called Turtle, but most speak common or some other local language as well.

DragoonWraith
2010-08-20, 08:39 AM
That does look a lot better, yeah.

Calmar
2010-08-20, 05:07 PM
Let's give the anthropomorpic turtles a less technical name!
How about chelonians? (<< that's based off a Greek word for turtle) :smallsmile:

imp_fireball
2010-08-20, 06:16 PM
+4 Con, -2 Dex, -2 Int
Humanoid (Koopa)
Small
20ft land speed
Low-light Vision
+6 Natural Armor

They should be able to take cover in their shell, like a tower shield. While inside their shell, they don't take damage from slamming into obstacles/barriers and the like and have a bonus to reflex saves.

Also, in Mario 64, a koopa without its shell is bloody fast. Maybe its speed should be 30ft without the shell - or you could flip around the mechanics and make it so that it can't get rid of the shell at all.

Maybe they could get their shell modified - like warforged armor (assuming it can get modified). That way, you could have koopas with spikey shells (except I don't think players would go for anything else if it's just a Gp cost and nothing else).

Lyndworm
2010-08-20, 07:09 PM
They should be able to take cover in their shell, like a tower shield. While inside their shell, they don't take damage from slamming into obstacles/barriers and the like and have a bonus to reflex saves.
Not a bad idea at all, really. Howabout something like;

Tuck & Cover (Ex): Much like the turtles they resemble, koopas can withdraw into their shell for protection. This is a move-equivalent action that renders the koopa immobile, but grants Cover, a +4 bonus on Reflex saves, and the koopa takes falling damage as if it had fallen only half as far.

Also, in Mario 64, a koopa without its shell is bloody fast. Maybe its speed should be 30ft without the shell - or you could flip around the mechanics and make it so that it can't get rid of the shell at all.
I could insert the phrase:

"While not wearing its shell, a koopa's base land speed increases to 30ft."

Maybe they could get their shell modified - like warforged armor (assuming it can get modified). That way, you could have koopas with spikey shells (except I don't think players would go for anything else if it's just a Gp cost and nothing else).
Well, we could write up a racial feat for it. Make the shell count as Masterwork Light Armor, including a spell failure chance (15/20%), a check penalty (-2/-3), and even a small Armor bonus (+2/+3)?

Maybe even turn it into a feat chain, with more for Medium and Heavy armors. Perhaps add in some DR, increased shell damage, or some other ability to make the feats worth taking.

How does that sound?

Dencero
2010-08-21, 07:34 PM
Hero in a half shell?

All that comes to mind is Sandstorm, which has already been stated.

If you do find a Turtle humanoid, give them the ninja class.

Beschoren
2011-12-05, 09:28 PM
DM: What's his name?
Player: ...Leotello Raphaelangelo.

Titian, actually

And the guy's me

\o/

Real Titian is a renascence painter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titian), Just like Michelangelo, Donatello, Rafael and Leonardo. I took one step ahead in metanaming:smallbiggrin:

My Titian is a 7º lv gestalt fighter/ninja//psy warrior, with a special DM template for "mutant". Usually he kicks ass with massive amounts of damage and fights in melle with invisibility. It's about my 3º out of 4 ninja tortles, and my best PC so far. sheet on sig. (Zenno is another tortle ninja, also on sig)

tortle here:
Tortle
(turtle-like
humanoids)
(DR315 p72)
+2 Con
+2 Wis
–2 Dex
–2 Cha
favored class: Cleric
• Medium Size
• 20’ Movement