PDA

View Full Version : What books would be useful for someone wanting to get into AD&D 2nd edition

GhoulPolitician
2010-08-19, 06:26 PM
Hello,
I am a long time player of d&d 3.x who has grown tired of the D20 system. I recently purchased a copy of the revised 2nd edition players handbook and have found it to be intriguing to say the least. I was simply wondering what resources would be useful for putting together a game(other than the obvious DMG and monstrous manual). I have also seen mention of a core rules cd-rom is this useful?
Thanks

Paul H
2010-08-19, 06:42 PM
Hi

I loved the Elf book - those lovely Elven abilities with rapid shot, and the new multi-class concepts, and, and, ...............

Then there's the Wizard's book, with even more spells and class concepts. Did I mention spells? :)

Thanks
Paul H

Balain
2010-08-19, 06:51 PM
Planescape setting

Matthew
2010-08-19, 06:52 PM
The core rules cd-rom contains all the optional and supplemental rulebooks released for second edition, so it is quite useful, but also laborious to read through when just getting started. Basically, a copy of the three core books is all you really need, but in truth you might be better off getting hold of the first edition DMG, as it is a more entertaining read. :smallbiggrin:

It is possible to add so much of the additional material to AD&D that you are virtually playing D20/3e, but there are also some key ideas missing from the second edition game that really ought to have been included or at least mentioned in the rulebooks (some of them were in the First Quest boxed set introduction to AD&D, which might be worth picking up if you can get it cheaply).

Two great on-line resources for getting into AD&D are Dragonsfoot (http://www.dragonsfoot.org/) (which has a lot of downloadable fan material, including a periodical, and a forum where all questions may be answered, some by former TSR luminaries) and OSRIC (http://www.knights-n-knaves.com/osric/), which is a sort of open source version of AD&D, but based on first edition.

Hard to say what you really need to get started, as it depends on what you want to do with the system. Campaign settings and modules are all useful to some degree, but not if you are doing those things yourself anyway.

oxybe
2010-08-19, 07:41 PM
personally? PHB is all you really need to get started.

other books will vary based on your class preferences. the complete X series (fighter, paladin, theif, elf, humanoid, etc...) generally has a few neat things to offer mechanically like kits (alternate class features), new proficiencies, new gear, new spells, ect...

my fav supplements however, are not player material but the GM booklets the "van richten guides to X", a real treasure trove of fluff for various monsters like mummies, ghosts, werebeasts, ect...

Telasi
2010-08-19, 07:53 PM
The core three are all you need for rules. The Complete Fighter's Handbook is nice, with some nice weapons that most classes can use. I believe it also has fighting style rules that give benefits for using certain weapon types, also usable by most anybody.

If you want to use a campaign setting, then I recommend Planescape, Al-Qadim, and/or Forgotten Realms. Those are some of my favorites, anyway.

oxybe
2010-08-19, 07:57 PM
wait, we can also recommend settings? then Darksun. wonderful, wonderful Darksun.

GhoulPolitician
2010-08-19, 10:25 PM
Thanks for all of the replies!
@Paul H
I don't believe that you mentioned spells, but in all seriousness thanks I'll look into those books

@Matthew
I picked up the first ed core a while back after being given a copy of the DMG and realizing that without the PHB and MM it was indecipherable only to realize that it simply became unorganized, though I must admit that book was an entertaining read, especially the results of mixing potions!

@oxybe/Telasi
campaign settings suggestions are always welcome, I've been looking into planescape and the setting seems interesting to say the least, and I will be sure to look into Darksun

mobdrazhar
2010-08-19, 10:43 PM
i would recommend Dragonlance or Plansescape.... definately Planescape