PDA

View Full Version : Baldur's Gate 2 Multiplayer Halp!

Mushroom Ninja
2010-08-19, 06:53 PM
So, my friends and I are big fans of Baldur's Gate 2 and, as such, decided to play a LAN game together. We've run into much trouble and I was hoping that I might find some gurus in the playground who could be of some help.

The situation:

Using the ICP/IP option, one of my friends created a game on her computer (running XP). I attempted to join this game (running windows 7) by typing in the IP address and clicking "join". Then the game crashed. I repeated this several times to no avail. I made sure that Baldur's Gate 2 was not being blocked by the firewall, still without effect.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :smallsmile:

Domochevsky
2010-08-19, 07:06 PM
Hum... my first thought would be fiddling around with Compatibility Mode. :smallconfused:

Mushroom Ninja
2010-08-19, 07:19 PM
Hum... my first thought would be fiddling around with Compatibility Mode. :smallconfused:

I must learn more about this "Compatibility Mode." Where might I locate it?

Celesyne
2010-08-19, 07:20 PM
Make sure that both of you have gone into the network settings and installed the IPX protocol. I'm not sure if you still have to do this on Vista or 7, but I did on XP. open the control panel and go to network connections. Right-click on the connection and select properties. On the General tab about halfway down, there should be an install button, click and choose protocol. Somewhere in the list should be a protocol along the lines of NWlink/IPX, something or other.

Our games would crash trying to connect until we did this. Beyond this I am not sure.

Domochevsky
2010-08-19, 08:01 PM
I must learn more about this "Compatibility Mode." Where might I locate it?

It's inbuild in every Windows from XP upwards. You rightclick on the .exe of the game, go to the Compatibility tab and mark "run this program in compatibility mode for...".

Celesyne, unfortunately Win7 doesn't include the NWlink/IPX protocol anymore, so you would have to find the drivers for that externally. Although i have a feeling that won't be necessary, as BG2 should be able to handle TCPIP just fine. It's not that old. :smallsmile:

Minas
2010-12-11, 06:52 AM
Hello everyone

I had the same problem as you guys. We couldn't connect BG2 Multiplayer even though we had an established Hamachi connection.

But we found a solution to this problem:
http://www.gameranger.com/

It is a free tool, where you can host Baldurs Gate 2 (and other) Games and it does all the connection stuff for you.

It works with great with my Windows 7 64-bit.

And if you want even more Baldurs Gate content, check this out:
http://www.shsforums.net/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=534

Oh, and I'm not affiliated with either Gameranger or the Big World project, just trying to be helpful, because I spent a long time getting Baldurs Gate Multiplayer to work. :)

Cheers
Minas

Rae
2010-12-11, 05:49 PM
Make sure the game versions are exactly the same, patched to the same level and all.

Also, a buddy and I have been playing BG2 multiplayer and he can't join unless he plays in windowed mode. Try that?

Konfused
2012-02-03, 11:44 PM
I have been trying unsucessfully to play Baldurs Gate with my grand daughter. I have two XP computers connected with a router. I can not get the second machine to join. I know it can be done since I used to play with my husband in 2000 (I think we were using Win 95 or 98). I remember that we unplugged from the internet line. My husband was the computer literate one in the family and when he passed I have been limited to general use. Not sure about firewall settings or much else. Anyone brave enough or patient enough to explain how to get these machines gameing in small words and lots of details? Kind of like "Baldurs Gate for Dummies" I have loaded the games on both machines and have played on both just can't get them to play together. My roommate has a newer machine with windows 7 but I haven't even tried to get that one hooked up.
Thanks,
Konfused

danzibr
2012-02-05, 07:57 AM
It's great to see an actual solution. Years ago my buddies and I tried to play BG2 over Hamachi and it never worked :(

LibraryOgre
2012-02-08, 10:50 PM
I recall checking the IP address of the different computers (I don't recall how we did this on that version of Windows, but "check IP address on Windows XX" into google should tell you how. You then have one computer Create the multiplayer session through TCP/IP, and the other computer Join through TCP/IP, using the IP address listed. It worked for Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate, and IWD 2, at least.

Stasgard
2012-02-08, 10:56 PM
If none of the above work (they may very well) I have another that might work. Last time I wanted to play BG2 I wanted to do so with a full player created party and I got a crash whenever I hit Create Game in the Multiplayer. I found that it wouldn't crash if I ran the game in windowed mode, so it would be my suggestion to try that, as it's a pretty simple one.